Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merlin Woods Castle, Galway

Options
  • 01-12-2013 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I live near the the castle and I go walking there sometimes. When I go walking, in the woods there is very old stone walls - everywhere. Pieces of stone you see on the ground look like they were cut and sanded.
    Can someone help me get some info about the castle and the walls in the woods. Or if somebody has any pictures like maps or something.
    Thank You.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

have a loook here

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dennis124wwr

But I need info on the castle itself.

p.s. Do you live near the castle

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

I mentioned Sean Spellissy's book on Galway in a previous thread, so this is what he has to say on "Merlin Castle" (in an abbreviated form):

Originally known as Doughiska or Doughiske castle. Dermot O'Connor, the Abbot of Knockmoy, leased part of the lands of Doughiska to Henry Blake of Galway in 1383. Architectural features of castle suggest that it dates from 16th century. Lynch family were dispossessed by the Cromwellian Commissioners between 1653 and 1655. Francis Blake, first of the Blake family to reside there, moved there in 1731. Name changed to "Merlin Park" during Francis Blake's lifetime.

In 1853, estate sold to a Mr. Hodgson by Encumbered Estates Court. Subsequently owned by the Waithman family. House built against eastern wall of castle at one stage but long disappeared. Castle seems to have been abandoned from late 18th century onwards. Castle has secret chamber or "priest's hole."

Hope that's of interest!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

There was an excavation undertaken there in 2002 - you can read a summary of the results here:

http://www.excavations.ie/Pages/Details.php?Year=&County=Galway&id=8082

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dennis124wwr

Then is there any maps of the woods with the walls marked on it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Advertisement