Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book on Galway city history.

Options
  • 16-11-2013 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi I am looking for any recommendations for a book on Galway city history.
    I would like to know the history of all the churches, old buildings, eyre square, the Spanish arch.

Any help would be appreciated. I have been looking around the book shops in Galway but haven't found anything about just Galway City history yet. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Missent

AJG,

If you're interested in Galway county as well, the best one I know is Sean Spellissy, The History of Galway, published in 1999. It has short chapters on virtually everything of note in both city and county and very comprehensive at 492 pages. It used to be readily available, but may be in short supply now. There is a copy on sale at a reasonable price on Amazon at the moment.

Another one I have is William Henry, Galway Through Time and Tide (Volume I) which has a nice mix of chapters on areas such as Eyre Square, Monuments of Interest in Galway, the Great Famine in Galway, etc. I haven't seen a second volume as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 averagejoesgym

Missent wrote: »
    AJG,

If you're interested in Galway county as well, the best one I know is Sean Spellissy, The History of Galway, published in 1999. It has short chapters on virtually everything of note in both city and county and very comprehensive at 492 pages. It used to be readily available, but may be in short supply now. There is a copy on sale at a reasonable price on Amazon at the moment.

Another one I have is William Henry, Galway Through Time and Tide (Volume I) which has a nice mix of chapters on areas such as Eyre Square, Monuments of Interest in Galway, the Great Famine in Galway, etc. I haven't seen a second volume as yet.

Thanks very much both sound good I will definitely get my hands on one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ozymandiaz

Hi I am looking for any recommendations for a book on Galway city history.
    I would like to know the history of all the churches, old buildings, eyre square, the Spanish arch.

Any help would be appreciated. I have been looking around the book shops in Galway but haven't found anything about just Galway City history yet. Thanks.
    See the following links for books that can be read online:

https://archive.org/stream/gaillivillustrat00trav#page/n5/mode/2up

https://archive.org/stream/historyoftowncou00hard#page/n5/mode/2up

• Registered Users Posts: 41 averagejoesgym

Ozymandiaz wrote: »

Thanks very much. There is a map of the city from 1651 in the first book, its amazing I can still easily recognize the layout of the streets more than 300 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ozymandiaz

You're very welcome. Happy reading!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Thanks Ozyman for those references

Advertisement