Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

bilston wrote: »
    Back row options at the moment

Matthew Rea
    Greg Jones
    Marcus Rea
    Sean Reidy
    Jordi Murphy
    Nick Timoney
    David McCann

Anyone else?

Harry Sheridan and Reuben Crothers in the Academy

We definitely need someone to come in.

Definitely the most shallow stretch of the squad. And in the traditional fudge - second row to blindside - the only player who really looked comfortable was Henderson.

We need more bodies there, be they world-beaters or journeymen.

Given the upskill in our forwards, in their handling, awareness and off-loading, I would kill for a prime Nick Williams right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭launish116

Back row options at the moment

Matthew Rea
    Greg Jones
    Marcus Rea
    Sean Reidy
    Jordi Murphy
    Nick Timoney
    David McCann

Anyone else?

Harry Sheridan and Reuben Crothers in theAcademy

We definitely need someone to come in.

Very few of them players can play week in week out now as well. Not considering how light weight we are.
    Flogging youth is not the answer. We need depth so we can rotate and at least try to keep the old heads fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The back row is not as weak as we think. Reidy, Murphy and Timoney is a good combination. Rea Sr is also a good player. I think McCann will make the jump next season. Rea Jr is probably not up to speed. I would assume that Ulster are working to bring in a niq. I am glad that Nakawara didn't work out. His salary was most likely a big one. He is well past his best. I think David O' Connor is also capable of playing the back row? Although, he isn't the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Dubinusa wrote: »
    The back row is not as weak as we think. Reidy, Murphy and Timoney is a good combination. Rea Sr is also a good player. I think McCann will make the jump next season. Rea Jr is probably not up to speed. I would assume that Ulster are working to bring in a niq. I am glad that Nakawara didn't work out. His salary was most likely a big one. He is well past his best. I think David O' Connor is also capable of playing the back row? Although, he isn't the answer.

Ah it is weak compared to Leinster and Munster.

Munster have Coombes and O'Mahony, yes they've lost Stander, but those two are better than anything we have. Jack O'Donoghue is probably better than all our options, maybe on a par with Jordi. I dont know a lot about Jenkins, but on paper he seems a very good signing for a year.

Leinster have Ruddock, Conan, Doris, Connors, Leavy, Van Der Flier, Deegan and Penny. Our back row is light years behind them.

For us Timoney has come on leaps and bounds, Murphy really stepped when he was made captain, Matty Rea is a bit inconsistent. McCann is the big hope, but can't do it on his own. Marcus Rea seems like a guy who needs more games to get up to speed, I think he could be a good player of given more games and to be fair I'm a big fan of Sean Reidy, but it doesn't change the fact they are behind their Leinster and Munster compatriots.

That back row is at its peak not weak, they punch well above their weight.

Issue being they can't sustain that level week in week out. Throw in injuries, rotation and Ulster have serious issues. As Cave said We're very good at putting average teams away.

We have loads of multi-purpose players, but ultimately we don't have a natural open side, true ball carrying eight. We have loads of 6.5s.

Rea jnr (though underpowered) & McCann will come good, I'd still give them a full season before I'd expect them to be were we need them.

I'd go as far to say if you ranked all the Irish provinces we'd be lucky if our back row guys made 4th pick in the back row positions. Sadly that is the reality and one Ulster are still dragging their hails addressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

They have had so many back rows in the academy that didn't make it. Dunleavy, Hall and Allison being ones I recall. Then there was Dow and Taggert, both fell off.
    I still don't think they are far away! One good international NIQ and they could be flying.

They have had so many back rows in the academy that didn't make it. Dunleavy, Hall and Allison being ones I recall. Then there was Dow and Taggert, both fell off.
    I still don't think they are far away! One good international NIQ and they could be flying.

Annoying bit being all the above shawn to some degree at u20 for Ireland.

Was looking forward to a McCann, Rea jnr, Allison back row.

launish116 wrote: »
    Annoying bit being all the above Shawn to some degree at u20 for Ireland.

Was looking forward to a McCann, Rea jar, Allison back row

I think Allison captained the U20s?

But yeah, another to fall into the Ravenhill Back Row Black Hole.

I think Allison captained the U20s?

But yeah, another to fall into the Ravenhill Back Row Black Hole.

Makes you wonder how the Irish set up can consider him captain material and we can't even get him out of the academy.

Wonder will they reconsider his departure following this latest signing disaster. Surely better to have and persist than waste waiting more years for a backrower.

Obviously without knowing circumstances of departure, it's hard to grasp. Makes more sense to keep him with all that has gone on. Surely even from a numbers point we'll struggle for senior & A games at the same time.

I'd go as far to say if you ranked all the Irish provinces we'd be lucky if our back row guys made 4th pick in the back row positions. Sadly that is the reality and one Ulster are still dragging their hails addressing.

I'd say Timoney and Murphy would be 4th choice picks at Leinster never mind Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Makes you wonder how the Irish set up can consider him captain material and we can't even get him out of the academy.

Wonder will they reconsider his departure following this latest signing disaster. Surely better to have and persist than waste waiting more years for a backrower.

Obviously without knowing circumstances of departure, it's hard to grasp. Makes more sense to keep him with all that has gone on. Surely even from a numbers point we'll struggle for senior & A games at the same time.

I think I saw on fb that AA has signed for Ballymena. Super player.

I'd say Timoney and Murphy would be 4th choice picks at Leinster never mind Ireland.

Sad but true! Didn't want to highlight to that degree. But fair to say the elephant in the room has now taken over the house.

Going to be fascinating how Ulster salvage this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Lorcan Dow 2.0 it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

I'm fairly pessimistic about Ulster at the best of times...but all this back row chat has left me feeling depressed about next season. Looks like it will be more of the same again...
    Do we need accountability for failure to produce forwards? It's been a well known issue for about 10 years!

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I'm fairly pessimistic about Ulster at the best of times...but all this back row chat has left me feeling depressed about next season. Looks like it will be more of the same again...
    Do we need accountability for failure to produce forwards? It's been a well known issue for about 10 years!

For all my negativity yesterday I will say this. Nick Timoney has really surprised me since Coetzee stopped playing for us. If he moves up another level again next season then in fairness we will have a very good No.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭jacothelad

For all my negativity yesterday I will say this. Nick Timoney has really surprised me since Coetzee stopped playing for us. If he moves up another level again next season then in fairness we will have a very good No.8.

He certainly would show a clean pair of heels to any other back row.....

jacothelad wrote: »
    He certainly would show a clean pair of heels to any other back row.....

He always has. He has got a lot more powerful too.

Maybe a little suspect defensively?

I hate tempting fate but it would be our luck he gets injured for the majority of the season.

If you really wanna cry, look at our stocks and consider the maths for both seniors and A team playing same weekend, not considering rotation or injuries. Even with a signing we’re scraping by.

Back row stocks:
    Reidy (32)
    Murphy (30)
    Rea Snr (27)
    Timoney (25)
    Jones (25)
    Rea Snr (23)
    McCann (20)
    Sheridan (19)
    Crothers (19)

2nd Row stocks
    Carter (31)
    Henderson (29) international duty
    OConnor Snr (28)
    OConnor Jnr (26) Shoulder surgery
    Treadwell (25)
    Izchukwu (21) ACL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I hate tempting fate but it would be our luck he gets injured for the majority of the season.

If you really wanna cry, look at our stocks and consider the maths for both seniors and A team playing same weekend, not considering rotation or injuries. Even with a signing we’re scraping by.

Back row stocks:
    Reidy (32)
    Murphy (30)
    Rea Snr (27)
    Timoney (25)
    Jones (25)
    Rea Snr (23)
    McCann (20)
    Sheridan (19)
    Crothers (19)

2nd Row stocks
    Carter (31)
    Henderson (29) international duty
    OConnor Snr (28)
    OConnor Jnr (26) Shoulder surgery
    Treadwell (25)
    Izchukwu (21) ACL

Is Allison not a backrow

stephen_n wrote: »
    Is Allison not a backrow

Folk thought he had been let go.

• Advertisement

I had heard he was getting a fourth year in the Academy because he'd been injured a lot, but on the Ulster Rugby Round-Up podcast (admittedly not a cast-iron source) they said he'd gone.

Those are wafer-thin back row stocks, though.

Odd one, he never got a shot with the seniors. He looked like a rangy runner that would have been useful in the loose.

Was he soft maybe? I can't comment because I only saw him play a couple of times.

Who's next of the production line?!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Odd one, he never got a shot with the seniors. He looked like a rangy runner that would have been useful in the loose.

Was he soft maybe? I can't comment because I only saw him play a couple of times.

Who's next of the production line?!

Struggled with injury but super player from what I saw.

Hey boy wrote: »
    Struggled with injury but super player from what I saw.

Also thought that, shame if true! Another one to the book of we’ll never know.

Any injuries to our pack next season and we’re fecked.

In other news if McGraths instagram is to go by, his hip resurfacing has went well!

Also thought that, shame if true! Another one to the book of we’ll never know.

Any injuries to our pack next season and we’re fecked.

In other news if McGraths instagram is to go by, his hip resurfacing has went well!

Just had a look. That does look promising. Mad to think he's saying he hasn't been able to kneel in that position for four years. He played for us at the end of last year!

Just had a look. That does look promising. Mad to think he's saying he hasn't been able to kneel in that position for four years. He played for us at the end of last year!

Gotta to feel for him if that is true!

His form just nose dived and still played a few games!

Be like a new signing if he can get back up to speed! Makes you wonder why it’s taken so long for the surgery to be done.

Be like a new signing if he can get back up to speed! Makes you wonder why it’s taken so long for the surgery to be done.

Could the same be said about Addison and his back surgery?

Could the same be said about Addison and his back surgery?

Indeed! backline stocks scary as usual.

Might even have a new tighthead in Milasonvich this season as well.

Wonder will Ulster try and sign Cronin from Munster, I know Connacht are sniffing also. It would be the Ulster way ignore the back row and sign elsewhere.

Indeed! backline stocks scary as usual.

Might even have a new tighthead in Milasonvich this season as well.

Wonder will Ulster try and sign Cronin from Munster, I know Connacht are sniffing also. It would be the Ulster way ignore the back row and sign elsewhere.

In fairness, there's zero indication that we are.

Just want a sturdy, tough backrow who can stay fit. Coetzee arrived in Ulster in 2016 and played 57 games. I don't know how many knockout or otherwise crucial games we've had against Leinster in this five years, but I do know that he did not play in many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Faddes confirmed he's leaving on instagram. Never really worked out that one, especially considering the wage he was likely on. Personally I only really care about money being freed up if its being put towards an actual backrower or two.

Advertisement