Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car do you hate that everyone else loves?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Water2626262

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    I never had a BMW before- I honestly find I get treated a lot worse now- I’m forever being tailgated no matter what speed I’m doing- generally sticking to the speed limit I find invariably someone will appear out of nowhere catch up on me and sit on my arse for no reason. As for being let out at junctions? I’m shocked if some polite person lets me out these days. I truly believe we are a hated species. Had a Mazda 6 before and it was far more anonymous

I’m relatively new to bmw and haven’t noticed that. There is an embarrassing over representation of BMW’s getting caught speeding on the gardai twitter account though.

The only vehicle I drove where I was shocked at the courtesy and road reaction was a van. Seems to be a fellow van drivers code where they all let each out at junctions etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I think there’s just a lot of BMW on the road , but to be fair whenever I see a car up my arse 90% of the time it’s a BMW or an Audi A4 TDI crap box...I also notice different behavior in other drivers depending on the car I’m driving in the Cupra it’s not so bad in the Boxster always people driving right up me or trying to overtake me ...

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Generally, I don't like the shape of the Lexus cars.

But I saw a Lexus ES in the flesh last week and good Heavens, it is a stunningly beautiful car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I’m relatively new to bmw and haven’t noticed that. There is an embarrassing over representation of BMW’s getting caught speeding on the gardai twitter account though.

The only vehicle I drove where I was shocked at the courtesy and road reaction was a van. Seems to be a fellow van drivers code where they all let each out at junctions etc

The brotherhood of the van is a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭tenreds

Range Rover, everybody I know that drives one is a dickhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

TrailerBob wrote: »
    As for cars I hate that everyone likes... A class Merc... its such a pointless car for me...in fact it seems all about badge in reality

Completely agree A Class useless crap, going through carsireland.ie same price range and same engine. 1.5 DCI

A Class
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2835377

Renault Megane
    https://www.carsireland.ie/2822667

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pat_bottom

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Completely agree A Class useless crap, going through carsireland.ie same price range and same engine. 1.5 DCI

A Class

Renault Megane

I'm not a merc fan far from it but erm I think I could of done better then an ugly looking Renault with plastic interior to compare it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Audi saloons. 9 times out of 10 they are driven by a lead-footed bully who thinks they own the road.
    Also any of the modern VW Beetles: they look hideous compared to the original.

All those old 'sporty' Toyotas like the twin cams and all. Horrid looking things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭golondrinas

My daughter drives a BMW x5 E46 M sports pack (hybrid). Standard x5 drivers give her dirty looks. there is begrudgery even within brands ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

****ing right.
    It's very obvious in a bit of Dublin traffic

All skodas (except maybe a well specced superb estate)
    Crossovers by Hyuandi, Kia and Nissan
    The last 1 series. Some versions of the new one look ok?
    The first A class

Had a Nissan terrano for work once, hateful
    Ditto old jeep Cherokee
    May I add the susuki Vitara.
    I'd point out that it's highly likely nobody liked any of these.

I also dislike range rovers so they're probably not in this thread either

Don't get the dacia or fluence hate. I'd not buy one but have no issue.
    Don't get the juke or chr hate. Least they're a bit different.

Nice cars were much nicer when they were rarer. Since about 2015 it became easier for people to afford to buy them so they are less impressive, to me at least. Their performance is surely greater than it was 10 or 20 years ago but they just don't evoke the same sense of awe in me that they once did when two out of three cars on the road seem to be 'luxury' cars, huge SUVs, very new Golfs etc. Even at the height of the Celtic Tiger, a 3 series Beemer seemed quite impressive to look at. For me, the 1980s BMW E30 and E28 are gorgeous cars to look at by comparison to the modern ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

As a general remark I think too many cars manufacturers are basically making the same car for a range and just making it bigger/smaller.

Eg BMW’s and Audi all look the same to me, just size changes.

So I don’t hate a particular car, more the premise of all cars being pretty much identical in a line.

I also don’t get the love for SUV’s in general. Basically fake 2 wheel drive jeeps and cost a fortune for what ? A bit height? Mental imo.

All people carriers, practical maybe but such an ugly design. Especially the Ford one with the sort of pointed bonnet.
    They are being phased out for the 4wd thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

All people carriers, practical maybe but such an ugly design. Especially the Ford one with the sort of pointed bonnet.
    They are being phased out for the 4wd thank God.

Lol because the SUV is so much more practical not.

I take you have never been in an SUV. I have and everyone of then were better designed and drove better than all these SUVs on the roads. The Ford C-Max was the best do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »

I take you have never been in an SUV. I have and everyone of then were better designed and drove better than all these SUVs on the roads. The Ford C-Max was the best do.
    The C-Max! yes that's the one. Ugly as sin.

Ms

FrankC21 wrote: »

A Class

Renault Megane

Maybe now the current A-Class is quite boring but the first A-Class was a revolution and a great little but I think it was really with the 2nd generation that Mercedes got it all right.
    Pat_bottom wrote: »
    I'm not a merc fan far from it but erm I think I could of done better then an ugly looking Renault with plastic interior to compare it too.

There is nothing ugly about that Megane. It is one of the best looking cars it its class and its interior is not plasticky. If it was on blue or red I doubt you would have said ugly ok black might not be it's best colour buts it's in no way ugly. If you still think that then you need to get your eyes checked.
    All skodas (except maybe a well specced superb estate)
    Crossovers by Hyuandi, Kia and Nissan
    The last 1 series. Some versions of the new one look ok?
    The first A class

Had a Nissan terrano for work once, hateful
    Ditto old jeep Cherokee
    May I add the susuki Vitara.
    I'd point out that it's highly likely nobody liked any of these.

I also dislike range rovers so they're probably not in this thread either

Don't get the dacia or fluence hate. I'd not buy one but have no issue.
    Don't get the juke or chr hate. Least they're a bit different.

All skodas . What did Skoda do to you that you hate them so much. They are the car for the clever sensible person , the person who understands the value of money and does not waste it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

The first A class

I remember my dad hired one from EasyCar years ago in England for a weekend when we were over for a football game.

Class thing for £7 a day.

• Advertisement

All skodas . What did Skoda do to you that you hate them so much. They are the car for the clever sensible person , the person who understands the value of money and does not waste it.

What car do you hate that everyone else loves.
    Not
    What car do you think sensible people should buy.

Only reason I exempted the superb combi is I think they look well in the Tour de France footage.....

Just don't like their styling. Never have.
    I'm allowed to not like them aren't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Normal One

There is nothing ugly about that Megane. It is one of the best looking cars it its class and its interior is not plasticky. If it was on blue or red I doubt you would have said ugly ok black might not be it's best colour buts it's in no way ugly. If you still think that then you need to get your eyes checked.

It’s ugly as sin; those stupid DRLs hanging under the headlights…tiny wheels….Oversized Renault badge…that big slab of plastic “infotainment system”…

A Focus/Corolla/Mazda 3 are all far superior IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pat_bottom

Do you drive a megane? That's the only reason I could think of you been so defensive of them.

Look inside the dashboard looks like a big ball of plastic, the seats are nice but it's a Renault you expect the seats to be Nice it's what they do best.

The outside its a generic design with a few shapes and grills thrown in to make it look sporty but it has arch gaps over the wheels that you could sleep in.

Nah that Megane is one ugly peace of machine.

I have a 152 Megane, and to be honest, I think they look well. The newer one (the 171 posted above) is also a lovely looking car in my opinion, but they really wrecked the dashboard. My 152 Megane is an older generation now, but it's got such a nicer, more welcoming dashboard than the ones that came after it.

Here's a rough example: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megane-gt-line/27626231

Also, I think the Megane, for the last 10 years, looks its worse as a saloon. It makes much nicer looking in estate/hatchback form.

... Mind you, I also think that A-Class linked above is lovely, too.. so perhaps just a case of 'each to their own'. Just a pity the fella selling it has such a heavy camera and can't lift it any higher than 2ft off the ground :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Screwthebeast

Pat_bottom wrote: »
    Everyone seems to love the Carina E but I hated them then and hate them now.

Probably because as a young mechanic back in the early 00s when one came into the garage you were guaranteed that it was a big dirty farmers car covered in muck and gonna be a mess to work on lol. Never took to them.

Toyota's, all Toyota's, they are dead behind the eyes.

Cars for people who have given up

They are far better styled though than nissans but I like your “dead behind the eyes” expression- soulless, but then again a lot of car manufacturers could be placed in that catagory

That’s the Passat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

BMW X series. Vulgar things.

Ms

The C-Max! yes that's the one. Ugly as sin.

I disagree. It was a very classy , very comfortable lovely to drive car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Normal One wrote: »
    It’s ugly as sin; those stupid DRLs hanging under the headlights…tiny wheels….Oversized Renault badge…that big slab of plastic “infotainment system”…

A Focus/Corolla/Mazda 3 are all far superior IMO.

I disagree. There is nothing stupid about the DRLS at least they get seen and if you know cars you can instantly recognise it as a Renault Megane. The wheel sizes depend on the spec of the car no worse than a golf or any other car in its class. That is a beautiful logo that Renault chrome Logo so why not shout about it. They are just doing what VW done making the Logo bigger that was the trend. I do think maybe it got a bit silly do and ye smaller is better.
    I have a 152 Megane, and to be honest, I think they look well. The newer one (the 171 posted above) is also a lovely looking car in my opinion, but they really wrecked the dashboard. My 152 Megane is an older generation now, but it's got such a nicer, more welcoming dashboard than the ones that came after it.

Here's a rough example: https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megane-gt-line/27626231

Also, I think the Megane, for the last 10 years, looks its worse as a saloon. It makes much nicer looking in estate/hatchback form.

... Mind you, I also think that A-Class linked above is lovely, too.. so perhaps just a case of 'each to their own'. Just a pity the fella selling it has such a heavy camera and can't lift it any higher than 2ft off the ground :rolleyes:
    I do agree the MK iii Megane did have a nicer looking dash than the current one but it's still not bad and I disagree with you on the current Megane Grand Coupe. It is a great looking car best looking in its class even.
    The Fluence before it was an inoffensive simply styled saloon that done the job it was intended for.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement