Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

devnull wrote: »
    On e-tenders now the contract amounts for temporary support of commercial bus routes in the state can be seen.

They are as follows (rounded to nearest 100k)
    Expressway by Bus Eireann - €27.4M
    Dublin Coach - €9.4m
    JJ Kavanagh (including Avalen and Kenneallys) - €5.8m
    Matthews - €4.1m
    CityLink - €4.1m
    Wexford Bus - €3.3m
    GoBus - €3.0m
    Aircoach - €2.3m
    Eirebus - €2.1m
    Collins Coaches - €1.3m
    McGinleys - €900k
    Bus Feda - €700k
    Kearns - €700k
    City Direct - €600k

These contracts are believed to have commenced late last year, with the values relating to a period of six months but had optional extensions of two further periods of 3 months. It's not known if any of these were triggered.

Was wondering how they could afford to be running buses with just a handful of passengers. There’s my answer. Those figures are absolutely eye watering. Can guarantee the extensions were triggered- these businesses will be addicted to taxpayers money now once it’s been given

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Reports in the Business Post (paywall) suggesting that the NTA are planning for a 30% drop in commuting numbers following the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.businesspost.ie/transport/nta-planning-for-indefinite-drop-of-30-in-commuting-numbers-8c514919

Despite this there is no routes on publicly funded bus services to be cut and there won't be a reduction in the frequency of service. It's hoped that total passenger numbers will return to 85% by 2022 with people traveling more spread out over the course of a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,581 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Peak time rail I get is rarely troubling the 50% currently - the huge cut in overall capacity by weekend schedules had it well over 50% when we were nominally 25% though!

The odd Luas is over 50%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It's strange, my passenger loading at 7am this morning was crazy high... On the 15 I was full up + a straggler or two by Clarehall, drove past every stop until Eden Quay then. But my 08:48 I barely took 20 from Firhouse side in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

devnull wrote: »
    They reflect the temporary financial support provided by the state to those operators in order to allow them to continue to operate during severe adverse trading conditions due to COVID-19 and related measures.

For a number they are surely about getting them back operating. The buses simply stopped until the subsidy was agreed. In certain of Galway's western suburbs, this was incredibly painful for people living a long distance from the BE routes, but still needing to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 itchyfinger

Well one good thing is that Dublin bus are not near as warm and stuffy during this hot weather, light traffic means the bus can move and get some air flowing in the open windows and the reduced capacity also help to keep the bus feeling fresher and cooler, nicer to travel 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Are Go-Ahead keeping their windows open in their buses during the hot weather?

• Advertisement

There were a few delays on IÉ services according to their twitter feed this morning.

A truck had struck a LC at Lansdowne Road station delaying Dart services in the area. There was also a bridge strike with a truck between Clara & Athlone. There was also an incident that occurred between Sallins & Newbridge which caused delays to train services at Heuston.

Does anyone know what the Sallins & Newbridge incident was about earlier today?

Looks like Dublin Bus's DoDublin tours are restarting next week, with CitySightseeing and BigBus already having restarted.

Prices are certainly more expensive for all three operators than I can remember then being at €27-€29 for a single day or €32 to €35 for 48 hours, but good to see them back nevertheless. Do wonder how all three operators will make it pay though.

DB for me are the leader in this particular segment. Always found their tours a cut above, especially in the last 4-5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When is public transport returning to 100% capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

An observation from my own journeys so far is that once once window seats on DB are filled, people aren't tending to sit in the then available seats, therefore leaving 50% capacity running essentially.

Maybe they don't know or maybe its a mental thing now

Its much the same on trains, people will sit in one of the seats of a two seat / one each side of a table seat; but not beside someone.

Train hosts on intercity will go telling people standing that there are open seats but not everyone will take them even then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Are the Dublin coach Dundrum services completely gone now or what?

• Advertisement

Full capacity from next Wednesday 1st September

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Sussex18

How safe are trains at the moment I wonder?, Is there any windows open? 🙂

They are a farce. I've taken trains about 10 times over the last 4 weeks and each and every time there were many people point blank refusing to wear masks.

Coughing, spluttering, spitting

An utter, utter sh1tshow and to be avoided

I don't understand it to be honest. Far higher compliance seen when I was on buses but I couldn't tell you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Sussex18

I've heard that Windows cannot be opened on trains, is that the case? 🙂 Sorry to hear that.

I will have to get the train sooner or later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I see NBRU and SIPTU in a spin over capacity levels they would like on public transport.

Couple of shop stewards must have kicked up a fuss to warrant the advise change!

Nothing on their website.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

"Any idea when the Dundrum service may resume?"

It is odd that Dublin Coach haven't restarted either their Dundrum service or their Belfast service. I wonder what is going and if there is perhaps more to the story? Perhaps difficulty getting drivers?

I'm kind of surprised that DC have survived the past year and a half, if any company was likely for take over, I would have thought it would be them.

You go onto the Airbus website and there’s no mention of it being stopped? https://www.airbus.ie/. Can anyone fully co form the Airbus is not running at sll

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It says it is stopped on the Dublin Coach website, it says "Recommencement Date for this service: TBC" :

Airbus is just one of Dublin Coaches brand names and it is typical of their poor service to have forgotten to update the airbus.ie website with this information!

That site hasn't been updated for the last two years. Even during the worst of the pandemic there wasn't a notice there to say it was not running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭TranslatorPS

The legal and branding names mess surrounding Dublin Coach is, pardon the choice, surreal. Especially on the Naas-Kildare corridor where there are multiple stops of the 726 and 826 shared with the 125/126s, and where the NTA have prepared their standard timetables including DC's routes, none of the stops actually mention Dublin Coach as the operating company, but rather the plethora of legal names they operate under (Citibus or K Coach[es?]) that have no simple connection with the brand name. With such a mess in just their legal/brand names, I'm not so surprised they have issues keeping their off-shoot websites up to date.

Of course this being unrelated to the coronavirus: EOT.

On certain trains there are no opening windows. Many only have a few.

The bulk of the stock is air conditioned but it's seriously sub par on some or in specific areas of some.

• Advertisement

Are Dublin Coach still able to run a service for some of their customers these days or are they treating it like they have no money to run it at all?

I see lots of them on the M9 route anyways- that benefitted as the good Belfast route coaches appear to be all on it rather than the knackered old Setras

Is there any decent quick way of getting to Dundrum from the Red Cow stop now using public transport and avoiding the city centre?

LUAS to Tallaght and then 75 or 175 to Dundrum is probably the only realistic option avoiding the city centre.

Use the NTA Journey Planner app.

Otherwise, LUAS red line to Abbey and LUAS green line from Marlborough stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,113 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Google suggests you can get off the Red at Suir Rd and get a 122 bus to Charlemont to get back on the Green. The O bus route will do a better job of linking the 2 lines whenever it gets up and running.

I was going to suggest cycling between the 2 along the canal, but it appears neither Dublin Bikes nor Bleeper are available at that end of the canal.

It has been reported today that the NTA have no current plans to put the Nitelink back into service on October 22nd; although they are considering it to return sometime on a later date before Christmas. FF Dublin Spokesperson Cormac Devlin TD, who a received formal letter from NTA CEO Anne Graham on the matter, has said he wants the Nitelink to return as soon as the Covid restrictions are lifted on the 22nd of October. The Licensed Vitners Association have agreed with Devlin's request to have the Nitelink returned on October 22nd to restore Dublin's night-time economy.

Is this request from Devlin actually a good idea. I personally would like to see the Nitelink to come back soon. But that all depends if Dublin Bus are able to afford to have the Nitelink back on their network very soon. The Dublin Bus drivers will probably be very happy to see it come back if they're hearing the NTA want it to return before Christmas.

Why is he asking the NTA? They don’t have anything to do with Nitelink. Nitelink is a commercial service of DB, not a PSO service, so it is totally up to DB if they want to operate this service or not, similar to Airlink.

I assume DB have said no their aren’t going to run this service anymore, that it isn’t commercially worth it, similar to Airlink.

As a result I guess that the NTA might consider temporarily subsidising the service to run this Christmas. Though long term I assume the NTA want to switch completely over to the 24/7 PSO routes and then no need for Nitelink, though obviously they aren’t ready for that yet.

Nitelink is a PSO service and forms part of the contract between Dublin Bus and the NTA.

Nitelink was changed to PSO some years ago. DBs commercial services are only tours since Airlink ended.

• Advertisement

Thanks to you both, I had totally missed that it had swapped to a PSO service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Nitelink is returning on the 22nd afterall (depending on the easing of restrictions of course), was mad that initially it wasn't going to return with the reopening of the night-time entertainment sector.

Dublin Bus are really in the thick of it at the moment as a lot of their own staff are not turning up for work due to Covid. They released a post on their Twitter account to send their apologies to their customers for the distruption to their services.

I wonder how bad this impact is going to be at this time as the schools are going to return later this week. Has anyone using a bus with them this weekend experienced any delay in their own work schedules due to this issue with Omicron?

I'd hardly call self-isolating because of COVID as not turning up to work to be honest.

All transport operators are seeing far higher levels of staff absence due to the pandemic, Irish Rail, LUAS and Go-Ahead have also been affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

That was just to cover up the fact that there's no agreement for working after 10 pm departure on new year's eve and the nta forced Dublin bus to operate a full Saturday service, so it was easier to blame it on covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭drivingmissdaisy

Remember government covid rules, no more than 100 at a wedding.

Dublin bus running a full service at full capacity , so no problem with 100 passengers crammed onto a double decker.

Is it any wonder drivers getting Covid.

Either the Covid rules are BS or the government don’t care about people using public transport, which do you think it is?

• Advertisement

I've been on 6 buses in the past few days and only saw a mask worn by the driver once.

Not saying that's the cause of drivers getting covid but adhering to the bare minimum health advice to protect themselves might be a good place to start in terms of protection against it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Masks reduce the amount of infected material that people with Covid spread around.

They don't stop you from getting Covid. They help stop you from making other people sick.

It's not lack of masks on drivers that is making drivers sick.

Drivers are exempt from wearing masks given they're behind a perspex screen & can adequately ventilate the cab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Outdated advice to be honest. FFP2/KN95 will stop you from getting the virus in this type of setting and are madatory is many EU countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭john boye

Regarding your last sentence, if your bus didn't turn up how would you know it was due to omicron?

• Advertisement
Advertisement