Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

As we know bus service's are going back Monday to Friday from next Tuesday but capacity is staying at 25%.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ax586 wrote: »
    As we know bus service's are going back Monday to Friday from next Tuesday but capacity is staying at 25%.

Will all depend on government announcement this week. A move out of L5 changes capacity

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Will all depend on government announcement this week. A move out of L5 changes capacity

Internal notice that came out today in DB saying capacity staying at 25%

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Link here on Dublin Bus website. Capacity is staying at 25%.

Revisions to some Dublin Bus timetables will also take effect from next Tuesday.

The 31d, 42d, 51x, 53a, 70d and 90 won't be operating from Tuesday.

https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Update-on-Dublin-Bus-Services-from-4-May/

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Only when we move to level 3 will capacity change to 50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I see nta is cutting funding so Expressway services will be getting a cut next month, certain runs cancelled and returns on that run too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Seven car train today, so it actually is 25% loaded rather than nearer to fifty. Will be a strange experience seeing Docklands again this evening!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Public transport back to full capacity in the UK today or at least in London. Wonder how long until Ireland follows suit

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

GT89 wrote: »
    Public transport back to full capacity in the UK today or at least in London. Wonder how long until Ireland follows suit

When we reach the level of vaccinations UK has I would have thought.

50% seems to be fine at peak times at the moment here anyway. I've yet to be left behind after work since the increase from 25%, thankfully!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Anyone know the deal with Bus Eireann, the level of cancellations is disgraceful across certain regions. Expressway licenses should be examined if it continues. Prioritizing PSO over commercial it appears.

If its Covid absenteeism I understand but I suspect its not when they are able to take on new work for NTA at the expense of existing operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Anyone know the deal with Bus Eireann, the level of cancellations is disgraceful across certain regions. Expressway licenses should be examined if it continues. Prioritizing PSO over commercial it appears.

If its Covid absenteeism I understand but I suspect its not when they are able to take on new work for NTA at the expense of existing operations.

The nta has cut funding.

The expressway is their own baby so needs to make money to be viable to run....

The 50% capacity limit on Public Transport will be lifted from August 5th.

Non-essential international travel will return on July 19th. I wonder how that will go from that date as PT capacity will still be at 50% on that date. I'll suspect demand for buses & taxis could be very tight for other users who will be using public transport to get to work while holidaymakers are going to ports & airports from July 19th.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

On e-tenders now the contract amounts for temporary support of commercial bus routes in the state can be seen.

They are as follows (rounded to nearest 100k)
    Expressway by Bus Eireann - €27.4M
    Dublin Coach - €9.4m
    JJ Kavanagh (including Avalen and Kenneallys) - €5.8m
    Matthews - €4.1m
    CityLink - €4.1m
    Wexford Bus - €3.3m
    GoBus - €3.0m
    Aircoach - €2.3m
    Eirebus - €2.1m
    Collins Coaches - €1.3m
    McGinleys - €900k
    Bus Feda - €700k
    Kearns - €700k
    City Direct - €600k

These contracts are believed to have commenced late last year, with the values relating to a period of six months but had optional extensions of two further periods of 3 months. It's not known if any of these were triggered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

devnull wrote: »
    On e-tenders now the contract amounts for temporary support of commercial bus routes in the state can be seen.

Dublin Coach - €9.4m
    Matthews - €4.1m
    CityLink - €4.1m
    Wexford Bus - €3.3m
    GoBus - €3.0m
    Aircoach - €2.3m
    Eirebus - €2.1m
    Collins Coaches - €1.3m
    McGinleys - €900k
    Bus Feda - €700k
    Kearns - €700k
    City Direct - €600k

These contracts are believed to have commenced late last year, with the values relating to a period of six months but had optional extensions of two further periods of 3 months. It's not known if any of these were triggered.

Any opinion on why DublinCoach are getting this level of funding. Seems excessive but local airport services might be a factor.
    The nta has cut funding.

The expressway is their own baby so needs to make money to be viable to run....

Missed this reply but once 50% returned to PT I would have expected a funding cut as outside peak days for a lot of Intercity services 50% or below is standard so the financial loss to companies is significantly less.
    ____

CIE 2020 results.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ci%C3%A9-losses-quadruple-to-top-66m-as-it-warns-over-impact-of-travel-curbs-1.4583119
    Losses at the State-owned parent of Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus and Irish Rail more than quadrupled last year to €66.86 million from €14.41 million in 2019

Public service obligation payments totalling €418.6 million from the Government bolstered revenues last year. The equivalent figure in 2019 was €184.2 million.

Overall State funding for the group increased to €638 million last year from €309 million in 2019, partly as a result of Covid wage subsidies and other pandemic supports.

Are those figures separate from the wage subsidy?

Are those figures separate from the wage subsidy?

They reflect the temporary financial support provided by the state to those operators in order to allow them to continue to operate during severe adverse trading conditions due to COVID-19 and related measures.

I just seen on Google Maps that the 15:00 departure for the 46A from Dún Laoghaire to Phoenix Park was cancelled. The next one at Dùn Laoghaire left on time at 15:08.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I just seen on Google Maps that the 15:00 departure for the 46A from Dún Laoghaire to Phoenix Park was cancelled. The next one at Dùn Laoghaire left on time at 15:08.

Hardly that rare an occurrence and what's that got to do with covid buses get cancelled for various reasons before and after covid 19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

Dublin Coach - €9.4m
    Matthews - €4.1m
    CityLink - €4.1m
    Wexford Bus - €3.3m
    GoBus - €3.0m
    Aircoach - €2.3m
    Eirebus - €2.1m
    Collins Coaches - €1.3m
    McGinleys - €900k
    Bus Feda - €700k
    Kearns - €700k
    City Direct - €600k

Was wondering how they could afford to be running buses with just a handful of passengers. There’s my answer. Those figures are absolutely eye watering. Can guarantee the extensions were triggered- these businesses will be addicted to taxpayers money now once it’s been given

Reports in the Business Post (paywall) suggesting that the NTA are planning for a 30% drop in commuting numbers following the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://www.businesspost.ie/transport/nta-planning-for-indefinite-drop-of-30-in-commuting-numbers-8c514919

Despite this there is no routes on publicly funded bus services to be cut and there won't be a reduction in the frequency of service. It's hoped that total passenger numbers will return to 85% by 2022 with people traveling more spread out over the course of a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Peak time rail I get is rarely troubling the 50% currently - the huge cut in overall capacity by weekend schedules had it well over 50% when we were nominally 25% though!

The odd Luas is over 50%.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

It's strange, my passenger loading at 7am this morning was crazy high... On the 15 I was full up + a straggler or two by Clarehall, drove past every stop until Eden Quay then. But my 08:48 I barely took 20 from Firhouse side in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They reflect the temporary financial support provided by the state to those operators in order to allow them to continue to operate during severe adverse trading conditions due to COVID-19 and related measures.

For a number they are surely about getting them back operating. The buses simply stopped until the subsidy was agreed. In certain of Galway's western suburbs, this was incredibly painful for people living a long distance from the BE routes, but still needing to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 itchyfinger

Well one good thing is that Dublin bus are not near as warm and stuffy during this hot weather, light traffic means the bus can move and get some air flowing in the open windows and the reduced capacity also help to keep the bus feeling fresher and cooler, nicer to travel 100%.

Are Go-Ahead keeping their windows open in their buses during the hot weather?

• Advertisement

There were a few delays on IÉ services according to their twitter feed this morning.

A truck had struck a LC at Lansdowne Road station delaying Dart services in the area. There was also a bridge strike with a truck between Clara & Athlone. There was also an incident that occurred between Sallins & Newbridge which caused delays to train services at Heuston.

Does anyone know what the Sallins & Newbridge incident was about earlier today?

Advertisement