Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite sport?

Options
  • 10-06-2021 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭

Just a curiosity, but is golf the favourite sport of people here? It always strikes me as one you play alongside or after you finish playing another sport, but for how many people is it your first choice? If age / injuries / time / ability to commit were not an issue, what sport do you enjoy playing the most?

For me it's hurling a million times over. I don't know if I'll be able to commit to it again, so will probably just stick with the golf because I can dip in and out of it. But if it was possible to give the level of commitment required to play for a team there'd be no question that it would be my priority sport.

What is your favourite Sport? 81 votes

Golf
    72% 59 votes
    Hurling
    8% 7 votes
    Football
    4% 4 votes
    Soccer
    6% 5 votes
    Tennis
    3% 3 votes
    Running
    0% 0 votes
    Cyclying
    1% 1 vote
    Rugby
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    2% 2 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 Marinad009

i like cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭willabur

favourite one to play at my age and condition is golf, cycling would be second in terms of participation

I love watching soccer and honestly nothing gave me more joy than watching cavan win ulster last year so Gaelic Football is the one that stirs the soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Favourite to play is golf mostly down to not playing anything else due to various injuries built up over the years

Favourite to watch would be soccer or rugby closely followed by Hurling. Golf outside the 4 majors and Ryder Cup is borderline unwatchable unless Irish interest. I get more enjoyment out of watching the Tour de France than a golf tournament and I don't cycle at all

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Golf for everything. It has always been golf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

soccer, with golf a close second

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Accidently voted football, which is to say I meant association football (soccer).

However I'm retired from playing and just like to shout abuse on the sidelines at guys who are infinitely more talented than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Accidently voted football, which is to say I meant association football (soccer).

However I'm retired from playing and just like to shout abuse on the sidelines at guys who are infinitely more talented than me.

I almost did the same. Had clicked football before realising soccer was listed.
    If I could still get around a pitch I would play soccer. Favourite to watch is by a million miles soccer. Can't wait to get out to tallaght stadium tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Neewollah

I would be same as OP here. Have played hurling all my life and to a decent level in my younger years. Slowed downed badly in last few years and it's hard to take. Hurling will always be my favourite sport but golf and Tennis are what I am most competitive at now. Gave up soccer this year as something had to give.

I hate the thoughts of giving up hurling but if I want to get lower than my current handicap of around 6 I think I need to spend the evening's I train playing golf instead of the 1 day a week job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Golf

Closely followed by Hurling, Soccer, MMA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Favourite to watch: Golf
    Favourite to play: Golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Cricket was always my sport having grown up in Waringstown. It has now taken a back seat and golf is number 1 for playing.

Football (soccer) has always been number 1 for viewing/following.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I voted for football. Meant soccer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm surprised soccer hasn't had more votes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

For me surfing is my favourite sport by a long way. If you put a gun to my head and asked me to choose between surfing or golf, I'd be selling the clubs immediately. But I also LOVE playing golf. But family, time and (current) distance to the coast means golf gets played more at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭SeanF

I always think everyone has two types of favourite sports:
    Sports to Watch
    Sports to Play

I actually prefer watching hurling (especially when Limerick are playing) than watching golf. I always love watching snooker almost as a form of relaxation, but I think I can count on two hands the number of frames I've frustratingly "played" on a 12' table. On the other hand, playing 5-a-side soccer is always fun, but I'm generally not too bothered about watching Premier league matches on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭blue note

SeanF wrote: »
    I always think everyone has two types of favourite sports:
    Sports to Watch
    Sports to Play

I actually prefer watching hurling (especially when Limerick are playing) than watching golf. I always love watching snooker almost as a form of relaxation, but I think I can count on two hands the number of frames I've frustratingly "played" on a 12' table. On the other hand, playing 5-a-side soccer is always fun, but I'm generally not too bothered about watching Premier league matches on TV.

Very true. I'd say golf is a very common one for people to play and not watch. I happen to enjoy both. Whereas for soccer I'll enjoy playing a game, but haven't watched a minute of the euros. Oddly, until my mid 20s I'd have watched a few games a week. Now I don't even bother with MOTD.

Hurling comes out on top to play and watch for me though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It was soccer, but 90minutes of action is hard to get these days, too much prancing around and fouls and those divers really put me off the game.

Bring back the 1982 and 1986 World Cups, soccer at it's peak for me

Golf #1 now

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement