Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

There was a third Yoplait medieval themed ad, based on the Arthurian sword in the stone legend. It's the most elusive one. Its here at the 2:30 mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

There was a third Yoplait medieval themed ad, based on the Arthurian sword in the stone legend. It's the most elusive one. Its here at the 2:30 mark.

A couple of those ads jogged some memories, especially the Fanta and Head & Shoulders ads. But for the life of me I cant remember that Yop one

This is one that had been driving me mad for years. Duncan Goodhew (famously bald Olympic swimmer) did at least two ads for an air freshner circa 1989. I couldnt remember what brand it was for till stumbling upon this now. Glade Cocoon, this was a followup to another one where hes staring at the egg shaped bottle as if in fascination. A voiceover says "Duncans the one on the left by the way".

I remember this series of ads for Dunlop from when I was very young, the women's clothes disappearing and the farmer falling into the mud would have me in stitches. I was years trying trying to remember what they were for till the advent of Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

I remember this series of ads for Dunlop from when I was very young, the women's clothes disappearing and the farmer falling into the mud would have me in stitches. I was years trying trying to remember what they were for till the advent of Youtube.

Do I spy Geoffrey Palmer as the unimpressed customs office in the first one at 00:10 ?

• Advertisement

cml387 wrote: »
    Do I spy Geoffrey Palmer as the unimpressed customs office in the first one at 00:10 ?

Well spotted, that's him all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I'm a doctor and I want my sausages!

This is another from the recesses of my memory that I couldnt identify for years. These two ads for Rotary watches used to be on when I was about four or five. I could just remember the song which I misheard at the time as "I'm late, im late, I've a very important gate".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Great!
    I remember the “I’m late, I’m late...” part very well

I remember in the late 70s Wilkinson Sword did a series of ads with this creepy square headed fecker who looked like a proto Max Headroom. At the time I thought he actually was like that for real.

• Advertisement

Wilkinson square face man turns up here again.

Love these posts by Scarred For Life. Living in RTE-only land a lot of these would have been unfamiliar to me growing up. The ones that I do remember being shown on RTE would be the Weetabix skinheads, Eveready batteries (the guys head exploding), Wilkington Sword with the square faced guy, Kinder Egg man, Solvite helicopter one, the one with the seance (Whispa?), Sinutab skull.

Funnily I don't remember that Milk Tray one with the shark but it might have been slightly before my time. The Honey Monster ads were shown here but I don't ever remember seeing that one with John Cooper Clarke, suppose they thought he wouldn't be well known enough in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I think I may be mixing up two adverts here. There was an advert for Ballyclough Light in the 80's. I think they have since been bought over maybe, by one of the others.

In the advert (this is the part I might be mixing up) there was a lady singing "do you like butter.. Do you like butter..?"

And the advert showed many different people tasting it and going mmmm or nodding. I have looked everywhere and can't find it. Any chance anyone on here has it or a link to it?

Only butter adverts I can remember were the cows saying...'i can't believe it's not butter' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

That's not it, thanks. 😁

I think it was a good decade before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Anybody remember the little spuds in the ground singing

"We wanna be........ Smiths Crisps"

??

If that's true, I'd better mention the one in Irish which says

"Tá said ag teacht......."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Iron maiden used to blast the houses of Ireland in the 80s and Daly Thompson ran through our sitting rooms in this classic

This one just randomly came racing back into my head today while I was looking at the health and beauty section at work.......

An ad for Clearsil which had a teenage girl with a Liverpool (or maybe Manchester) accent standing outside her sister's bedroom and says "My sister is a greaser,and that makes her prone to spots". Then she opens the bedroom door and there is loud speed metal music playing and her sister is jumping up and down headbanging and wearing a biker jacket and ripped denims.Then she looks in the mirror and there are spots on her face,she screams and the mirror cracks.And then the first sister shuts the door again and introduces new Clearsil,and says "New Clearsil cleanses pore deep and helps prevent spots.",and the greaser sister snatches it out of her hand.And then she's standing outside her bedroom door again and says "Now my sister uses it every day.It has really made a difference.But maybe now it's gone TOO far...." and she opens the bedroom door,and this time her sister is looking all sophisticated wearing a dress and hair done all elegant and listening to smoochy romantic music while slow dancing with some fella.

• Advertisement

The greaser girl was played by a young Patsy Palmer, later in Eastenders. This is slightly different to the version I remember, which had a generic soft rock electric guitar ballad playing instead of Hot Chocolate when she's meeting the fella.

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

BIANCA!!!

Or should I say.......

RICKAAAAAAAAAYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

Soft n Gentle. I'd been looking years for this and couldn't remember what the brand was, thought it might have been Sure anti-persperant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

A PIF reminding us to visit the dentist. Whenever I hear that version of Sh-boom I always remembered this. Judging by the Sky One promo at the start I'd say this was recorded in 1991, but I suspect the ad itself is older.

The demise of Lilt led me to looking up some of their old ads.

I remember this one, must have been still running in the early 80's though probably older. Doubt it was originally black and white, this was probably taped off a b & w telly.

I remember this one too, early 80's Id say.

Probably the best known Lilt ad, "here come de Lilt mon". Late 80's.

Advertisement