Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar panel and pump power

Options
  • 05-06-2021 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have a 32watt pond pump and a new 100w solar panel. I bought a controller to control the power flow.

I also bought a battery- a portable solar generator power station. Its stats are:
    200wh capacity
    Rated power: 200w
    Ac output: 220v-240v 50hz
    Solar charge input 12-18v 5a

What am I missing. It doesn’t work right- the battery drains quickly and then takes ages to recharge. The pump comes on for a few minutes and the battery drains quickly again.
    Maybe I need to send the battery back and get a better one? Any suggestions?

The links are- solar panel into controller, controller to dc input into battery to charge. The pond pump is plugged in with normal 3pin plug to battery 240v plug.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

It's a tiny battery (16 amp hours) with less usable power as controller will switch off at maybe 11 volts.
    You are converting DC into AC thus losing 20% power through losses.
    Your solar panel will likely be outputting around 30 watts on an average day so will not be keeping up with the power drain.
    I would get a DC pump and a 200ah lead acid battery with 200w of solar with a timer. Also get a multi meter to check the real voltage/amperage in the system and adjust the timer accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 housedweller

I have changed my setup and now have:

2 x 100w solar panels

3 x batteries (10ah + 10ah + 30ah)- 50ah

A controller

any recommendations in a dc pump which will work with this setup- and given the Irish climate would work in real-world situations!!

I have an old dc pump from another pond but it’s just too powerful to run most of the day- it blasts for about 10 mins and then cuts out for hours.

I'm looking for a nice fountain feature which would run continuously on sunny days- hopefully the panels and batteries are enough for this now? Thanks.

Advertisement