Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public Place Photography

• 28-05-2021 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have noticed in a few places that as soon as you take out a big camera or a light that the wardens come over and ask for a permit.

I've been told in the botanic gardens that i need a permit , but upon writing to them and asking about it they told me that as an individual on a non commerical personal shoot i do not require a permit. I showed this to the warden (brought a copy the second time) and they seemed to be completely confused by it as it was their belief that anyone with a camera needed a permit commercial or not.

I'm wondering if anyone knows the legal stance of doing a photoshoot on a beach for personal use on a non commercial basis , or for a sports and social group ? I pretty much guarantee that the wardens will say a permit is required , but im wondering on what grounds its required as its a personal shoot and for non commercial use.

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a beach can be owned IIRC, to the high tide mark, so it might depend on the landowner if you're above this. based on the same vague memory, a landowner cannot prevent you from doing anything below the high tide mark, but that might raise the question on how you accessed the beach.

the botanic gardens is not a public place in the same way a footpath on a public road is, it's able to have its own rules and own by laws (they close it at night for example).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,181 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

btw, i've taken a camera into the gardens on many occasions and never had an issue with wardens approaching me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

https://botanicgardens.ie/faq/

"Wedding catering is not possible at the Gardens, however, wedding photography is a long tradition at the Gardens and is permissible"

and

"You are welcome to take photographs for your own use. All filming and photography at the Gardens for commercial purposes, however, is by permit only. Details of any requests for filming or photography should be addressed to the Director in advance."

Seems the only confusion would be whether what you were doing was commercial or not. Were you shooting a model, or was it family, flowers, scenery, etc?

As for beaches, I've never come across any warden of any sort on a beach in Ireland. Although it seems they do exist to enforce by-laws related to trading, dumping etc. They're certainly not going to stop you taking photographs, unless perhaps it looks like you're doing a major commercial shoot or a feature film or something.

As mentioned, the State owns all the foreshore (except under very specific circumstances).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Sure everyone has a camera these days!

It is a bit stupid really because phone camera's the past 3 or so years are competing with big lens portrait photography, if you're taking images with a phone is it seen as commercial or personal? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Swindled

I'd say it was case of someone confusing anyone with a large camera and a lot of amateur gear with commercial work, it can look similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

the problem is caused by using a large camera. People assume you are a professional. i use a SonyA6000, it fits in my pocket, i have used it in crowds and noone has noticed. I used to carry a Canon-people ducked when they saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Bog Trotter99

pjproby wrote: »
    I used to carry a Canon-people ducked when they saw it.

Didn't the Gards say anything about that.;)

Advertisement