Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matches v friendlies

Options
  • 28-04-2021 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Does anyone else suffer from playing really well in friendly games but as soon as it comes to a competition revert back to someone who has just picked up a racket for the first time. I can't seem to shake it now, I play against guys better than me and can get at least a 3 or 4 games per set and then come up against guys my level or below in leagues or tournaments and struggle so much on the most basic of cross court shots. It's driving me mad, especially against really light touch hitters, took a few lessons on how to deal with it but not helping. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Santan wrote: »
    Does anyone else suffer from playing really well in friendly games but as soon as it comes to a competition revert back to someone who has just picked up a racket for the first time. I can't seem to shake it now, I play against guys better than me and can get at least a 3 or 4 games per set and then come up against guys my level or below in leagues or tournaments and struggle so much on the most basic of cross court shots. It's driving me mad, especially against really light touch hitters, took a few lessons on how to deal with it but not helping. Any suggestions?

I'm the opposite. Love competition and hate friendlies. I always see friendlies as a way of trying out new things or upping my match fitness and the result is not really a concern. But competition I am the opposite.

It's is more down to nerves and you need a way to handle them. I have seen it in my own club players beating players within the club and then when a league match or competition match comes up the go to pieces when they hear the tin of balls being opened. More practice and keep entering the competitions and you will overcome it. Breathing helps as well, if you feel the nerves are getting to you then take a few deep breaths also alot of players waste the warmup. Use that to get over the nerves by getting yourself into a rhythm. Don't go all out like some players in the warm up, just hit the ball to get into a rhythm, get your feet moving so that you work through your nerves. Nerves are good, if you are not nervous before a match then you have lost the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,230 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I see the same with teaching kids chess: introduce the clock and many good ones go to bits.
    As noted, practice.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement