Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Research A Soldier

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

DVR is his military occupation, and, in this case, also his rank. He was a driver of a miltary vehicle of some kind, the equivalent of Private soldier in the R.A. - Royal Artillery. If he had been a Gunner, he would have been called Gunner McCarthy.

Private soldiers were known by different titles in different military organisations -

Royal Engineers - Sappers.

Light Infantry - Rifleman.

Royal Electrical & Mechanical Engineers - Craftsman [not in WW1, though, the organisation per se did not exist.]

Royal Corps of Signals - Signalman.

Infantry - Private.

Fusiliers, a type of infantryman - Fusilier.

Cavalry, who fought FROM horseback - Trooper, or, in the case of Dragoons, who were mounted infantry who fought after getting OFF their horses, Private.

Royal Corps of Transport - Driver, like your relative.

Royal Marines, who are actually part of the Royal Navy and NOT Army - Marine.

I'm sure the more able here will be able to put you in the way of more information, but as he was not a fatal casualty you may well be disappointed. The Royal Artillery in WW1 was a HUGE organisation, and unless you can tie him down to a regiment and its associated regimental history you'll be very lucky to find out any more.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

DVR can also mean Driver in the sense of someone who was responsible for the horses that moved the pieces of artillery into position.

I had a search for his number in Ancestry archives but nothing came up except for his medal card and that he moved into the labour corps after the RA. A common occurrence for those who wanted the work.

Do you have a town or county for J McCarthy?

5q7ZTQJ.png

As I understood it all entrants to the Royal Regiment, be it RGA/RFA/RHA joined as 'Gunners', however if they were tasked in training/at their Battery to 'drive' the Gun and Limber horses, they were then titled as 'Drivers' - responsible for two horses. The ranks were at the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SkilledDVR

Thanks guys!

That sheet is a nice find! Where did you find it and what year was it published?

After speaking to a relative I now know that James worked with Horses during the war (it was phrased as looked after horses), I know that he was shot in the leg during the war and was in poor health for the rest of his life after returning.

He lived in Cappoquin, Co. Waterford.

SkilledDVR wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

That sheet is a nice find! Where did you find it and what year was it published?

After speaking to a relative I now know that James worked with Horses during the war (it was phrased as looked after horses), I know that he was shot in the leg during the war and was in poor health for the rest of his life after returning.

He lived in Cappoquin, Co. Waterford.

I know that he also received a pension, would tracking this pension, if possible, give anymore clues?

• Advertisement

Would his pension have continued after The Truce or later independence?

tac foley wrote: »
    Would his pension have continued after The Truce or later independence?

I thought, maybe on a presumption that he would have got the pension for the remainder of his life? I wish I had more details, he passed away almost 20 years before I was born as have my father's generation so there is no one really to ask

Just thinking - like my own dad, he would have been a citizen of the United Kingdom when he was born, so he would have undoubtedly met all the criteria for overseas payment of pension.

SkilledDVR wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

It's from the WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 available on Ancestry. Here's the full version, dated 1920

nLhrPpQ.jpg

I also found his pension records index on Ancestry which points to a link on Fold3, something that I don't have access to. You can sign up there yourself or you can join one of the various Facebook groups that may just do such a look-up for you.

https://i.imgur.com/E3RFGXX.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Apologies in advance for being cheeky but I don't have an Ancestry subscription at the moment. I'm helping a friend trace her Grandfather and would be very grateful for an Ancestry look up. He is William Weldon, born Wood Quay Dublin around 1892. She thinks he may have been in the Dublin Fusiliers.
    Many thanks

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    Apologies in advance for being cheeky but I don't have an Ancestry subscription at the moment. I'm helping a friend trace her Grandfather and would be very grateful for an Ancestry look up. He is William Weldon, born Wood Quay Dublin around 1892. She thinks he may have been in the Dublin Fusiliers.
    Many thanks

Do you have him in the 1901 census or how parents names? Often this will help identify him if his records are available.

EDIT: Looking at the medal roll index there seems to only be 1 William Weldon with an Irish regiment (Royal Irish Rifles) but he died in 1914. After spending 5 minutes looking nothing obvious appears for your William.

Edit2: If your William Weldon is the son of Jane and who married Christine Griffin then he was born in 1891 in Upper Bride street and not Wood Quay (though I don't know Dublin and those places may be next to each other).

Edit3: This site allows you to search for soldiers who may have been in the RIR or the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Unfortunately William does not appear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ponster wrote: »
    Edit2: If your William Weldon is the son of Jane and who married Christine Griffin then he was born in 1891 in Upper Bride street and not Wood Quay (though I don't know Dublin and those places may be next to each other).

I think it's Upper Bridge Street and yes, it is right beside Merchant's Quay which runs into Wood Quay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If she is sure he served, I wonder did he serve under another name. Many did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks a million folks for the responses. I will get some more information from her and hopefully that will help. I never realised that people enlisted under another name. I'd heard of brothers using their older brothers details alright.
    Get back to you asap, many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

If you have his medals his name, rank,, number and unit will be on them, his pension record it will also have this info. Keep a look for any photographs of him as his cap badge will show his regiment.

Looking for any help with this chap.

This memorial stone lists a 'P Waterhouse' who fought with the 'Canadians' http://homepage.tinet.ie/~tipperaryfame/cahirmem.htm

I have been unable to find any Waterhouses who's first name begins with a 'P' on either Ancestry or any of the free Canadian sites (Canadian Archives) and thought that I'd ask in here before giving up :)

He is probably from the Waterhouses of Garryroan, Cahir, who were this family:

http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Killiney/Killiney_Road_Upper/1317584/

moved to their mother Rachel Ffennell's family home.

The initial may be a mistranscription.

**edit checking the Canadian archives, I believe it should be F, for Frederick as it gives his birth place as Killiney.

Hope this link works: https://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B10116-S027

If not, search for him here: https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/personnel-records.aspx

spurious wrote: »
    He is probably from the Waterhouses of Garryroan, Cahir, who were this family...

OK. All of that makes sense. Rachel Waterhouse looks to have been Rachel Fennell from the Cahir area before marring and moving to Killiney where historically there seems to only have been one Waterhouse family resident.

I've been through the Waterhouses on the Canadian page and only found Fred as the possible candidate.

So I think that you're right but I hate having to twist something to make the story work if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

Waterhouse , Fred . (Dublin). Rank- Private . Regiment/Service;- Canadian Infantry . Unit;- 8th Battalion . Ser No;- . Date of death;- 23/04/1915 . Age;- 20 . Born;- Dublin . Residence;- Killiney . Death;- Killed in action . Next of kin, etc;- Son of Thomas George and Rachael Josephene Waterhouse. Grave/Memorial;- Panel 24-26-28-30 . Cemetery;- Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Roove_man433

Hello.im also related to Thomas Donachie and I'm wondering.he would off fought in the galipoli war but that's all I know about him so I'm wondering how would he off gotten from galipoli to dunkirk.like what happened in between those two events.thank u.if someon can help could they please respond

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Hi , I'm a great grandson of Thomas Donachie who fought in Gallipoli, I'm only seeing your post today.

Advertisement