Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Control (Remedy Games) PC, PS4, XB1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think what they're doing makes far better financial sense. As mentioned, they're probably having to revamp the whole game to work on proper next gen tech (for consoles, I'm leaving PC out of this), and if they said that all previous purchases will get the free upgrade, what's stopping someone getting the current gen version very cheap during a sale and getting the next gen for free then. Gamers are a tight bunch when it comes to spending money, so that would be rampant. I'd imagine the Complete Edition won't go on sale for a good while after release because of this, whereas you can get the base game quite cheaply now. It's a hard financial decision to make, they want return on their investment (who doesn't) and they're not as big as other devs/publishers who can afford this "goodwill" people want.

But again, this is all coming from the fact that it is a fantastic game and that alone, for me, makes what they're doing perfectly ok. Compared to CDPR, who i'm now convinced keep delaying Cyberpunk becuase they went back to begin again on next gen and are downscaling it for current gen, are offering the free upgrade because the game isn't even out yet, and they know it will sell like hotcakes regardless, because of their proven history of making a near perfect game. Let's hope they live up to that.

Just my 2 cents. Control is a gem of current gen, but that is also completely personal because it reminds me so much of the excellent (again, to me) Second Sight and Psi-Ops games, both of which need to be remastered for current/next gen. Games with telekinetic powers, when done right, are amazing, and Control is one of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think one of the aspects of this that’s most disappointing is that Control is a game that had technical issues on base consoles, so you’d have hoped any ps/XsX upgrading would have been offered even as a dlc for no more than €10.

But as someone who bought the game at launch it’s definitely not worth paying again. The core gameplay is fun, but I found the environments bland for the most part and it’s much shorter than I was expecting(although I haven’t played any of the DLC).

McFly85 wrote: »
    ...but I found the environments bland for the most part

I have to disagree here. The constantly changing building, the mind bending rooms, the completely different to the rest of the building areas, the whole lore of the place, the fricken maze!!! I think Remedy created a truly original and visually stunning world with The Oldest House. Every other game is the same these days, other games have desert/snow/mountain/city environs that are basically the same. Even games like The Outer Worlds is the same, just with a lot more colour. The Oldest House is very unique to me, and one of the best worlds I've been in for a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Adding an assist mode, great imo as some of the difficulty spikes were bull****, I'll be going back to this so it seems.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2020/08/14/control-is-taking-it-easy-in-next-update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭McFly85

I have to disagree here. The constantly changing building, the mind bending rooms, the completely different to the rest of the building areas, the whole lore of the place, the fricken maze!!! I think Remedy created a truly original and visually stunning world with The Oldest House. Every other game is the same these days, other games have desert/snow/mountain/city environs that are basically the same. Even games like The Outer Worlds is the same, just with a lot more colour. The Oldest House is very unique to me, and one of the best worlds I've been in for a while.

The maze was excellent! A really unique experience you couldn’t get in any other medium. Most areas felt to me like going from one big block of concrete to the next.

I kind of feel like Control was a generation too early. I like the core gameplay but I wonder if the vision for the game was limited knowing there would need to be versions that could run on the base PS4 and XB1. And I’d be interested in future games in the series because I think with the extra power of new consoles Remedy could create something truly great-but I’ll probably won’t be buying it day 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think you're all missing the real best upgrade:

Ability to re-play any level, including The Ashtray Maze. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Am I the only person who didnt like this game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭Cordell

Plenty didn't, but few feel the need to inform us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Gotcha, only positive comments :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

I was completely underwhelmed by it, apart from the visuals, its not up to much.. :(

• Advertisement

Gotcha, only positive comments :rolleyes:

Of course :)

McFly85 wrote: »
    I kind of feel like Control was a generation too early. I like the core gameplay but I wonder if the vision for the game was limited knowing there would need to be versions that could run on the base PS4 and XB1. And I’d be interested in future games in the series because I think with the extra power of new consoles Remedy could create something truly great-but I’ll probably won’t be buying it day 1.

I think they got it right by being the first major/AAA game with proper raytracing and DLSS implementations. Apart from that, there is nothing limiting them more than their own engine, since current consoles were able to run large open world games just fine (that is, 30fps kind of fine).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Update adding easy mode or whatever came out last week so re-downloading and gonna get the DLC as well.

I finished the AWE dlc last night. The new area was interesting but I haven't played Alan Wake so a lot of the lore there was lost on me.
    The same strengths and weakness from the main game carry over. Great level design/lore etc but I never liked the boss fights. They just spam you with large amounts of annoying enemies over and over.
    The arcade machine letting you replay the maze was cool, I felt a bit overpowered playing through it again, blazed through it with just the basic form of the service weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

So this should be out on Steam next month right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 LillyLin

Mr Crispy wrote: »

honestly feel like 2019 was yesterday
    this game was ahead of its time
    honestly, even now the games do not look like this
    the guys from Remedy Entertainment are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

€31 blips for the ultimate edition of this on epic / gog at the moment. Think I'm going to treat myself to it this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

LillyLin wrote: »
    honestly feel like 2019 was yesterday
    this game was ahead of its time
    honestly, even now the games do not look like this
    the guys from Remedy Entertainment are great

Forward-looking tech coupled with great art design & cool ideas.
    It might not be the best game of all time, but it's hella memorable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,704 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Pretty crappy of 505 with the Ultimate Edition, they've left the standard version up on the PSN and Xbox stores for €60. Not only do you pay €20 more you don't get the dlc or the next gen upgrade.:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bizarre one here. Control is out now on Switch, but it’s a streamable version you need to be online to play. Not unprecedented - Capcom have done it with some Resi games. Interesting to see how / if it works. https://kotaku.com/control-is-now-available-to-stream-the-switch-1845506266

In other Control news, I finished AWE over the weekend. It’s... fine? The light mechanic is cool, but very much feels like a minor DLC expansion even with the Alan Wake links. Honestly reckon the game gets too bogged down in combat and repetition - I love how stylish the game is at its best, but you’ve seen a lot of what it has to offer within a few hours (Ashtray Maze and the like notwithstanding).

• Advertisement

I haven't played any of the DLC as I fear the Alan Wake one especially will be lost on me, having never played AW. Does it expand the story somewhat, or you reckon it's definitely not necessary to eventually play the inevitable sequel?

Both DLCs are worth playing, and you don't really need to have played Alan Wake before.

Sweet, i'll pick it up down the road for the PS5 so. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭jones

Platinum'd Control months ago and finished the foundry but totally forgot there was another DLC just fired it up last night pretty AWEsome - ok i'll get my coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

€20 at the moment for the Ultimate Edition. Tempted at that prices to see how it does after the PS5 upgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,301 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Have the base game but haven't played yet. Thinking will pick up the season pass at 14.99 while on offer.

fixXxer wrote: »
    €20 at the moment for the Ultimate Edition. Tempted at that prices to see how it does after the PS5 upgrade.

Tempted myself, but it hasn't been long enough for another playthrough yet. The unfortunate thing with story based games is replayability (for me) is minimal, unless there's multiple routes (not endings, routes).

I'll probably wait for the inclusion in Plus, or pick it up again next year even cheaper. Fantastic game though, if anyone hasn't pulled the trigger on it yet, it's well worth the €20.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Have the base game but haven't played yet. Thinking will pick up the season pass at 14.99 while on offer.

If you intend on getting a 5, then you won't get the upgrade, that only comes with the Ultimate Edition, which is a bit of a kick in the balls, but the game is worth it so I'm ok with that, especially if the improvements will be substantial.

Got the PS5 but was thinking of playing it soon anyway and the PS5 version isn't out til next year sometime. May go ahead with the Ultimate in case I don't actually get to it before then.

If I had the choice now, I'd wait until the PS5 version before playing. It ran really well for me on the Pro, but there was slowdown at times, but I can see those scenes in my mind running on the PS5 and they look glorious! I'll be waiting so for the proper PS5 version, didn't play the DLC so will fly through the main game again.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/ControlRemedy/status/1339933440607547393
    Control Ultimate Edition comes to PS5 and Xbox Series X|S with a 60fps Performance Mode and 30fps Graphics Mode (with ray-tracing)

While we work on the full trailer, enjoy a sneak peek of both modes, recorded on PS5.

Digital launch: Feb 2, 2021
    Retail launch: March 2, 2021

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Will it be possible to get both performance and graphic modes in 1 proper mode this gen do ye think because those reflections were savage but you can't go back after using 60fps.

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

No, unless AMD roll out their upcoming DLSS equivalent technology to consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Will it be possible to get both performance and graphic modes in 1 proper mode this gen do ye think because those reflections were savage but you can't go back after using 60fps.

Probably not until the Pro/X versions of the consoles come out in a few years

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

Control is a game that runs better on NVIDIA hardware over AMD and that's even before ray tracing is taking into account. A 6800XT which is considerable more powerful than the AMD's GPU in the current gen consoles and that can't even run the game at a consistent 60FPS at 1080P with ray tracing enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

The season pass is on sale for €9, is it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

PS Plus game for next month. Certainly worth your time at the price of subscription fee you likely already pay.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/1354467426293968901?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Holy **** the ultimate edition!!! Can't wait to go back and play the dlc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

CastorTroy wrote: »

That date makes sense with the new psplus month. Full ps5 version next week :-) forgot there was dlc too until ZC mentioned it above, kinda hyped for this game all over again

Looking forward to giving this a whirl again, really enjoyed my playthrough of it, so will be nice to play again. Torn between 30fps and RT or 60fps. I've a feeling regardless of which one I try, the other won't feel as good for different reasons. RT is nice, 60fps is also nice... First world problems!

*Queue the PC master race telling me they have both

Turn on ray-tracing and have a gawk around the central hub area - that area shows off the features pretty darn well based on my time with the PC version.

Then switch to 60 FPS for actual gameplay. The pretty lighting and reflections aren’t worth a halved frame rate IMO, as you’ll barely notice them when it the midst of a battle.

I do hope more games follow the example of Miles Morales’ performance ray-tracing mode, but alas think the norm will be 30 FPS RT or 60 FPS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Turn on ray-tracing and have a gawk around the central hub area - that area shows off the features pretty darn well based on my time with the PC version.

Then switch to 60 FPS for actual gameplay. The pretty lighting and reflections aren’t worth a halved frame rate IMO, as you’ll barely notice them when it the midst of a battle.

I do hope more games follow the example of Miles Morales’ performance ray-tracing mode, but alas think the norm will be 30 FPS RT or 60 FPS.

Nearly finished all of this over the last few days, and enjoyed it a lot.

Have to agree regarding 60 FPS. Looks great on the PS5 but couldn't play it 30 FPS when avoidable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭recyclops

After flying through thr ultimate edition I thought I'd return to quantum break and see how it fared against it.

It's brilliant to see how QB evolved I to control and the transition remedy had from Alan wake to QB to control. It shows a clear enough progression

I know QB wasnt for everyone due to the TV show add on but even that has aged fairly well. So if looking for a nice enough narrative given game after control then I'd recommend a return to QB

Aidan Gillen is still woeful though but that's more so on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Control was on my to do list all of last year, finally started and finished it in about a week. What was putting me off was how dull it looked in any pictures I had seen, but i needn't have worried. That mundane grey aesthetic was a perfect fit, as it was a story about the extraordinary in the ordinary and it became one of the most iconic settngs for a game in recent memory.

Gameplay wise, it was fast and fun and with the difficulty buffers added in (which I did avail of, increasing my health durability slightly), accessible. There is also THAT level, as the character said herself after it, that was awesome.

The story was great too, told mostly through collectibles, but unlike other games I actually enjoyed reading them to find out more about the world. Overall it was well worth the wait to play it.

I'm replaying this on PS5, platinumed it on ps4 so using the immortality/one hit kill to breeze through it this time. Switching between ray tracing and performance mode as the action/exploring changes. Its absolutely stunning visually.

I'm replaying this on PS5, platinumed it on ps4 so using the immortality/one hit kill to breeze through it this time. Switching between ray tracing and performance mode as the action/exploring changes. Its absolutely stunning visually.

Does the 1 shot kill/immortality freeze trophies? I think I’ve like 2 left for the platinum and one of them is the Mr Tomassi side mission which I cannot for the life of me complete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,704 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    Does the 1 shot kill/immortality freeze trophies? I think I’ve like 2 left for the platinum and one of them is the Mr Tomassi side mission which I cannot for the life of me complete.

Found thst fight pretty easy with pierce. Add management can mess your run though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Get up the very top of the room and use the bridge/walkway as cover. He can still get at you but it definitely helps.

Be careful though as the distorted hiss will get up there eventually.

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Get up the very top of the room and use the bridge/walkway as cover. He can still get at you but it definitely helps.

Be careful though as the distorted hiss will get up there eventually.

I’ve tried that, seen it in a YouTube vid. But when I’m up there i can get him down to about half way but I’ll die with 1/2 hits as well. Fairly frustrating, the most the side missions in this game are :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Stay on the ground floor.
    Chip away at Tommasi, as soon as the other enemies appear run underneath the overhang area, on your right hand side as you enter the fight area.
    One of the hiss will come to you, take care of it while those flying can't get at you.
    Kill the flying guys and get back to killing Tommasi.

No effect on trophies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement