Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Ross... again

Options
  • 14-06-2019 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

So it seems Shane Ross went against advisors and gave (or promised) Waterford Airport - which hasn't had any flights in 3 years - 5 million euro.
    Now maybe I've possibly missed something here but why is 5 million euro being promised to an airport on the ground of tourism and other items when there seems to be no news about airlines taking up the airport.
    With Cork/Shannon and Dublin now within easy reach, does it really warrant 5 million of tax payers money which could be better spend on other resources?

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/shane-rosss-5m-grant-for-airport-with-no-flights-38218208.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

It will only be a viable airport if the runway is extended, other than that it will rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭enricoh

Meh, like all government spending I'm sure the taxpayer is getting good value for money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

In fairness it is dependant on the project securing €7 million from the private sector.

I'm all for handing money out if it's backed up with private funding too, there tends to be less white elephants that way.

"As a result, the minister has attached certain conditions to the funding.

"Firstly, it will be dependent on the airport being able to demonstrate, following the necessary procurement processes, that the project can be delivered for the estimated amount of €12m.

"In addition, the Exchequer contribution of €5m will only be paid when all upgrade works are completed and the runway is confirmed to be ready for service by the Irish Aviation Authority," the spokesperson said.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I'm betting that cheque will never need to be written.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Already being discussed here

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement