Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocaine and other drugs in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Plenty of people destroying their lives with cocaine that many of ye here talk so flippantly about .
    It’s bad enough for those that fcuk up their lives which is their own choice but it also has a massive impact on their families in most instances . If cocaine is your thing I’d feel sorry for youse rather than going round acting the cool man taking drugs . I’m sure your dealers are having a good laugh at you as they get all your dough .

I think it's hilarious that the coke these idiots are taking sometimes entered the country in the rear passage of some poor unfortunate and yet there they are talking sh1t after taking it. :pac: Yeah man that's sooooo cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭threeball

I think it's hilarious that the coke these idiots are taking sometimes entered the country in the rear passage of some poor unfortunate and yet there they are talking sh1t after taking it. :pac: Yeah man that's sooooo cool.

The whole process from beginning to end is pretty disgusting. From the chemicals used to separate the drug from the plant to the methods of transport, to cutting agents, to actually snorting the drug off the top of the sh1tter.

If someone gave you a glass of water but spat in it before hand youd throw it back in his face but people will willingly pay big bucks for this stuff and feel comfortable just cos it's white.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

threeball wrote: »
    Well that's patently not true. They're involved in a chain of misery stretching from Darndale or Jobstown all the way back to Columbia, Bolivia or where ever else these drugs are grown. The trail of destruction and death that goes with a drug like cocaine is pretty extensive.

And all of that misery and destruction is nearly exclusively linked to prohibition rather than anything inherent in the drug.

And all of that misery and destruction is nearly exclusively linked to prohibition rather than anything inherent in the drug.

Thats beside the point. The poster says it does no harm to anyone apart from the person taking it. That's just not true. If prohibition is the cause of alot of it then that's tough as that's the laws that's in place and you would need to change them worldwide to remove the misery.

The whole process from beginning to end is pretty disgusting. From the chemicals used to separate the drug from the plant to the methods of transport, to cutting agents, to actually snorting the drug off the top of the sh1tter.

If someone gave you a glass of water but spat in it before hand youd throw it back in his face but people will willingly pay big bucks for this stuff and feel comfortable just cos it's white.

But hey the cool people do it :pac:

Bless

• Advertisement

Thats beside the point. The poster says it does no harm to anyone apart from the person taking it. That's just not true. If prohibition is the cause of alot of it then that's tough as that's the laws that's in place and you would need to change them worldwide to remove the misery.

The poster in wrong and is just the 'i didn't see anything" defense. A quick google will show you the tactics these drug gangs use both here and in South America.

Maybe the next time they are talking complete sh1t in some pub they can have a think about the lads who had their heads chainsawed off by a Mexican cartel a while back and was posted online for all to see.

But hey it's all part of the game right?

The poster in wrong and is just the 'i didn't see anything" defense. A quick google will show you the tactics these drug gangs use both here and in South America.

Maybe the next time they are talking complete sh1t in some pub they can have a think about the lads who had their heads chainsawed off by a Mexican cartel a while back and was posted online for all to see.

But hey it's all part of the game right?

One murder per gram snorted in the UK is the estimate. So their gram on a Saturday night has at least one death attached to it. But shur it dies no harm to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

One murder per gram snorted in the UK is the estimate. So their gram on a Saturday night has at least one death attached to it. But shur it dies no harm to anyone.

The mental gymnastics I've seen here with people trying to justify their few lines having nothing to do with the violence associated with the drugs trade is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Muzzymor

You haven’t a clue. I lived in Tokyo and there’s plent sniff floating around. There’s also plenty junkies. They just take meth, wear fancy suits and work 100 hours a week.

There's always one "I lived in Japan and I know better". Did you gain that deep insight while on the Jet Program or were you one of the ones singing and dancing for kids in a private english chain and reading bbc news/the guardian?

Junkies are the heroin zombies you see all over Ireland but not in Japan.

The difference is how society in general treats drug use.
    I'm sure there are a fair few cokeheads in Japan too,most likely in the entertainment/banking industries (those finance "ex-pats" love their coke as do entitled yuppies in general) but when people watch the news and see someone like old "Pierre" Taki torpedo his career/life because he used coke, they're discouraged from using it more than your average Irish idiot is by how Irish society treats cokeheads and junkies.

El_Bee wrote: »
    The mental gymnastics I've seen here with people trying to justify their few lines having nothing to do with the violence associated with the drugs trade is unreal.

The fact that a fair percentage of those deaths are children is just another factor they seem comfortable to ignore. Look at your own kids, nieces or nephews then imagine their lives being taken by some scumbag with a gun or machete then go snort another line. Its not hurting anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

It’s not really beside the point though. You can begin the process of harm reduction by addressing the legality issue. It’ll take time but most of the deaths are a direct result of criminality. The health issues associated with drugs (alcohol included) will persist but it’s surely better for a gram of cocaine manufactured by a pharmaceutical company to be dispensed by a licensed distributor subject to regulations and taxation over the supply of heavily cut, South American coke by the Hutch/Kinehans and all the death and destruction that comes with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭ClintPower

CPTM wrote: »
    Genuine question, has anyone heard of girls purposely taking rohypnol in the club's on Harcourt street? My mate's younger brother mentioned it's all the rage. They take 10% of the dose that would be given if they were spiked, and it gives them the feeling of 4/5 drinks. Sad reality if that's the case

Bollocks.

I seem to recall a stat from years ago stating that spiked drinks are nearly an urban legend, there's been all but no actual cases of it recorded, little to none of the drugs seized by guards, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Not trying to belittle the point being made or anything but sorry that number can't have any basis in reality. The same article estimates Columbia alone produces 650 tonnes of cocaine a year, which would equal 650 million murders using that figure. Unless UK cocaine is extra murderey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

ClintPower wrote: »
    Bollocks.

I seem to recall a stat from years ago stating that spiked drinks are nearly an urban legend, there's been all but no actual cases of it recorded, little to none of the drugs seized by guards, etc etc.

Mot people would take much more than one rohypnol to pass out (i've taken them recreationally several times) and trying to get two or three tablets to disolve in somebody's drink without them noticing is verging on impossible.

People have been spiked with yokes for definate(i've seen it being done) and they will either freak out to fcuck and think they're dying or they'll get into the groove and have a great night...either way it's shiity thing to do on somebody.

It’s not really beside the point though. You can begin the process of harm reduction by addressing the legality issue. It’ll take time but most of the deaths are a direct result of criminality. The health issues associated with drugs (alcohol included) will persist but it’s surely better for a gram of cocaine manufactured by a pharmaceutical company to be dispensed by a licensed distributor subject to regulations and taxation over the supply of heavily cut, South American coke by the Hutch/Kinehans and all the death and destruction that comes with that.

The plants still need to be grown in lawless areas of the world. The drug gangs won't just hand the reins over and Pfizer aren't going to produce synthetic cocaine so how does this happen. Will the US, Europe and other areas of the world just legalise drugs overnight whilst drug companies have an alternative ready to go the following day? If not, then it's totally the point.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Not trying to belittle the point being made or anything but sorry that number can't have any basis in reality. The same article estimates Columbia alone produces 650 tonnes of cocaine a year, which would equal 650 million murders using that figure. Unless UK cocaine is extra murderey.

Even if it's 1 murder per 100kg it's still a sh1tload of deaths and mostly of people not involved or benefiting from the trade at all. The actual dealers and distributors dying is a tiny percentage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Even if it's 1 murder per 100kg it's still a sh1tload of deaths and mostly of people not involved or benefiting from the trade at all. The actual dealers and distributors dying is a tiny percentage
    Absolutely but if you're going to use stats to make an argument then at least make them believable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

The world is over populated anyway

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The world is over populated anyway

True but hardly a great excuse to murder defenceless children.

Mot people would take much more than one rohypnol to pass out (i've taken them recreationally several times) and trying to get two or three tablets to disolve in somebody's drink without them noticing is verging on impossible.

People have been spiked with yokes for definate(i've seen it being done) and they will either freak out to fcuck and think they're dying or they'll get into the groove and have a great night...either way it's shiity thing to do on somebody.

I hope you reported that drugging to the Gardai or police force in the relevant jurisdiction. I'd view that as attempted manslaughter myself.

• Advertisement

True but hardly a great excuse to murder defenceless children.

Which children

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Which children

Not reading the thread? Thousands of kids die every year caught up directly or indirectly with the cocaine trade. Collateral damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Been spiked twice in my life, enjoyed both times if I'm honest. First time it was really only my legs which gave out, so I was propping up the wall for a couple of hours, otherwise ok though which was strange. Second time I was spiked with MDMA, that was a great night! Shaked many a tackie that night.

Coke is everywhere if you want to find it. Even if you don't know someone right now who you can get it from, a few texts/calls and you'll find someone. The problem with coke is people are treating it like they are Tony Montana shovelling it up their noses, but that's not how to take coke. You take a little bump every now and then to keep the energy up and keep going. Done this way, it's a fantastic drug and as long as you don't take too much, you don't get the hard man crazed eyes look.

Once I took too much, and it was like really strong MDMA. Couldn't open my left eye, jaw hitting the opposite wall, it was strange if I'm honest, as it costs a helluva lot more than MDMA for the same effect really.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Get Real

Very true. In my own mind, I find vegans doing coke hilarious.

Wouldn't take a glass of milk stolen from a cow. But snort a some coke that originated all the way from Peru or similar and has been manufactured with fuel etc and is damaging local environments and communities.

Whatever about legalisation here (and I can understand it and support it) we'll never change the process over there, and all that that involves.

Commonplace nowadays to have Instagram posts on Veganism, feminism, "white privilege", anti-Trump. Yet there is nothing about a child in a forest, handling chemicals without gloves, tied to a system created by local gangs.

I'm for sorting out the failed war on drugs, and support looking at a new approach. However, I think if half the passion that some people have for "trendy" issues, went into it, we'd be halfway there. People also need to analyse their own contribution to the issue.

For example, people might boycott a certain chain for their use of palm oil/plastic cups/de-forestation for beef. They won't use that particular company until practices are changed.

They'll continue using the bag on a Saturday night though while condemning the "business" practices of same. It's cart before horse stuff. If they were truly passionate about legalisation, they'd boycott it until change.

Not reading the thread? Thousands of kids die every year caught up directly or indirectly with the cocaine trade. Collateral damage.

Where did you get your figures from?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I have the bottled variety on a night out, with a bitta JD!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

In oz at the minute and i never realised how much irish people love drugs till now. Heard of it being taken on sites a few times "to keep them going through the night". I reckon i could only count on two hands people i know from the local boozers here who havent touched it myself included. First i thought twas really just the dublin lads that were snorting but i soon saw the country crowd were bigger pigs for it than them nearly. Ket is a big one here too at the minute the lads love it as they reckon the coke is too weak out here. Ive seen enough lads and women from ireland out here and their lives ruined already from drugs out here and there only in there 20s. The cops visit our local two if not three nights on a weekend with the dogs and check the cubicles aswell but all anyone i ever know of getting caught with it just got a slap on the wrist. Main reason i didnt take it myself was that if i failed a roadside drug test or one on site i would be ****ed without a licence or job despite the random tests lads are always able to runaway from the bus somehow or another, its worse out in rural areas here but thats mainly the aussies for example im going for a job on a harvsting crew this week and i need to pass a drug test before i even get started and will be subject to random tests throughout the season.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 28,853 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Very good discussion on radio 1 now about drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leimmxvii

Besides coke use let us not forget about the drug culture among our youth particularly at techno festivals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭CPTM

ClintPower wrote: »
    Bollocks.

What does my post have anything to do with spiked drinks? My post was 100% related to girls self administrating a percentage of the dose to feel the same effects as alcohol.

Advertisement