Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man went to gardaí to complain over quality of his drugs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

How is it a contradiction?

You said "all users" of a drug are junkies, then linked to a definition which stated "people who cannot stop". So is it everyone, or just those with a habit?

Similarly, if you go out for a few pints of a weekend you're a dipso, going by your first definition.

I'll go with the dictionaries description of the word over some random person on here. You may not like the description but that doesnt mean it's wrong.
    the dictionary definition of junkie is a drug ADDICT. You call all users junkies wether addicted or not so youre not sticking to the dictionary definition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I'll go with the dictionaries description of the word over some random person on here. You may not like the description but that doesnt mean it's wrong.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/junkie

“A drug addict, especially someone addicted to heroin”

Not every user of illegal drugs is an addict. You’re just digging in now and being deliberately obtuse because you’ve been caught out waffling.

Story of boards.ie in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You said "all users" of a drug are junkies, then linked to a definition which stated "people who cannot stop". So is it everyone, or just those with a habit?

Wrong! I said
    all users of illegal drugs are junkies.
    Similarly, if you go out for a few pints of a weekend you're a dipso, going by your first definition.

Again wrong!

Couple of pints at the weekend is fine

Pints/wine every night is imo an alcoholic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Cordell

You're entitled to your opinion, I'm entitled to mine. In my opinion he is a junkie.

Your opinion is in direct conflict with the definition, but that's ok, since you're entitled to your opinion then your opinion and the actual definition are both equally true and perfectly valid.
    That's one of the things that are so wrong today, but that's ok.

Wrong! I said

Again wrong!

Now you're just being pedantic, I am, of course, talking about illegal drugs here......but you knew that.

So, to make it absolutely clear here......all users of an illegal drug are junkies, but all users of a legal drug (such as alcohol) are not alcos.....correct?

Also, you didn't address the part where the definition you provided makes the distinction between all users and those who cannot stop. Would you care to explain that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I'd have to say that there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the quality of his drugs.:)

the dictionary definition of junkie is a drug ADDICT. You call all users junkies wether addicted or not so youre not sticking to the dictionary definition.

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/junkie
    person with a compulsive habit or obsessive dependency on something.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/junkie
    someone who cannot stop taking illegal drugs

someone who wants to have or do something all the time

Not all dictionaries agree with you, as i said previously it seems a lot of people have an issue with the word becaise they themselves may partake in a bit of illegal drug use themselves.

In my opinion anyone who uses illegal drugs are junkies, this may not be to everyones liking but it's my personal opinion that i am entitled to hold.

• Advertisement

a - Couple of joints on Friday is fine.
    b - 2 joints a night, every night = junkie.

That is the contradiction I was getting at. You have stated that person A is also a junkie if the drug is illegal, but if the drug is legal then it's all good in the hood. That's a bizarre stance to have.

Cordell wrote: »
    Your opinion is in direct conflict with the definition, but that's ok, since you're entitled to your opinion then your opinion and the actual definition are both equally true and perfectly valid.
    That's one of the things that are so wrong today, but that's ok.

Which definition? Some dictionaries say "drug addict" and some don't.

In my opinion anyone who uses illegal drugs are junkies, this may not be to everyones liking but it's my personal opinion that i am entitled to hold.

You are entitled to hold it, however that doesn't make it valid or true. In my opinion, everyone who drinks cider is a guinea-pig smuggler. Doesn't mean I'm right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,653 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I haven't

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/dictionary.cambridge.org/amp/english/junkie

I feel the same way about alcohol. Have a few pints at the weekend? Grand so.

Have a few pints or a bottle of wine every night? Imo you're an alcoholic.

Actaully in your opinion, I'd be a junkie as alcohol is a drug. Legal statues doesn't matter and you can be addicted to things that are legal.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

a - Couple of joints on Friday is fine.
    b - 2 joints a night, every night = junkie.

That is the contradiction I was getting at. You have stated that person A is also a junkie if the drug is illegal, but if the drug is legal then it's all good in the hood. That's a bizarre stance to have.

No, because thats illegal drug use. The fact you lads won't admit this says a lot.

Actaully in your opinion, I'd be a junkie as alcohol is a legal drug. Legal statues doesn't matter and you can be addicted to things that are legal.

Theres the difference right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,653 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Theres the difference right there.

So how do you know the guy in the news story was addicted? Might have been his first ever joint.

And if he smoked it in a US state where cannabis is legal, would he still be a junkie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

So how do you know the guy in the news story was addicted? Might have been his first ever joint.

Ah Jaysus. The guy knew enough about weed that he ventured into the Garda station to complain about the quality of the stuff that he just bought.
    So I would hazard a guess that it was not his first joint.

I scratch my head sometimes..........

Kivaro wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus. The guy knew enough about weed that he ventured into the Garda station to complain about the quality of the stuff that he just bought.
    So I would hazard a guess that it was not his first joint.

I scratch my head sometimes..........

I didn't mean he literally has smoking the first cannabis cigarette of his entire life, as well you know (or should) know; but for clarity: you can't cvall someone a junkie/addict without know how frequently they smoked!!

In any case, the theory that he only did it in order to delay a deportation order could imply that what he knew about weed was irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I didn't mean he literally has smoking the first cannabis cigarette of his entire life, as well you know (or should) know; but for clarity:you can't cvall someone a junkie/addict without know how frequently they smoked!!

Ah yeah, agree with that.
    And then the frequency is up for debate.
    Is a person a junkie smoking one joint per day? Or every other day? Or once a week?
    BUT we digress ......

No, because thats illegal drug use. The fact you lads won't admit this says a lot.

The fact that you equate somebody smoking 1 joint per week with the skagheads zonked out on the boardwalk says even more, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭corks finest

Customer care needs to be upgraded at his law station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

"Indicative of a cannabis-induced "psychosis".

Is that what happens to auld wans when they drink too many cups of tea?
    Mad for the caffeine rush they are.
    'I'd love a cup of tea!' they say.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

myshirt wrote: »
    Equally, if you are a drug dealer you can get taxed on the profits.

How does this work?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 335 ✭✭.Charlo

Berserker wrote: »
    How does this work?

gunman-jpeg.jpg

The fact that you equate somebody smoking 1 joint per week with the skagheads zonked out on the boardwalk says even more, to be honest.

I just see junkies, you're the one who doesn't like me using that term. Do you partake in a little toke yourself by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

2ufhwNgM3qHKGxq8wdcWAiFpcm29FF1vQ7VZHkTuxC7GTossoY1sEcf3xauZucj1JuD7uGhws?format=match&mode=fit

giphy.gif

I just see junkies, you're the one who doesn't like me using that term. Do you partake in a little toke yourself by any chance?

Nope, but that's besides the point. I dislike you using that term because you are using it incorrectly. You might as well be calling them cokeheads. It doesn't matter if it is your own interpretation, it is still incorrect.

Question: If it was legalised tomorrow, would you still see them as junkies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

ANYONE WHO DOESNT AGREE WITH ME IS A DRUG ADDICT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

I wish they would hurry the feck up and legalise it. I don't partake in anything myself, unfortunately, not even the drink, as I don't have the constitution, but my husband's space cake recipe will make us a fortune! And I need that fortune for a pension plan! Hurry up for goodness sake.

Do you partake in a little toke yourself by any chance?
    you seem awfully familiar with the junkie lingo, perhaps the lady doth protest too much?

• Advertisement

Nope, but that's besides the point. I dislike you using that term because you are using it incorrectly. You might as well be calling them cokeheads. It doesn't matter if it is your own interpretation, it is still incorrect.

In your opinion.

Ask me when/if it ever is.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    ANYONE WHO DOESNT AGREE WITH ME IS A DRUG ADDICT.

Strange stance to have but everyone has thier own opinions.

you seem awfully familiar with the junkie lingo, perhaps the lady doth protest too much?

It was used earlier in the thread, try again.

In your opinion.

In the opinion of the vast, vast majority of practically everyone who has ever had an opinion on this. Even the dictionary you quoted differs wildly from your opinion.
    Ask me when/if it ever is.

Do you not have an opinion on this already? Surely you do? Humour me, what would your opinion be if this changed overnight?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

junkie

nounINFORMAL

a drug addict.
    a person with a compulsive habit or obsessive dependency on something.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

myshirt wrote: »
    Equally, if you are a drug dealer you can get taxed on the profits.
    Oddly, Americans fear he IRS more than the feds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

From the indo

"The accused, who'd had a "very difficult upbringing", was now clean of cannabis."

What a bunch of crazy, how is Ireland entertaining this man.

A difficult upbringing now forms the case for any defence.

In terms of this man forcing himself on Ireland and Ireland accepting it,

You only have yourself to blame Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

imme wrote: »
    From the indo

"The accused, who'd had a "very difficult upbringing", was now clean of cannabis."

But it is racist to point that out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

From the indo

RACIST

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

RACIST

Why are you making this about race.

Do you want a free for all, no questions asked, kind of approach.

That is looking like what we have now.

You can fetch up in the island of Ireland from any far flung corner and claim asylum it seems.

Do you know where Malawi is.

16 days and counting. Our loss is Malawi’s gain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

16 days and counting. Our loss is Malawi’s gain.

Nice weather over there at least. Mid twenties, clear blue skies and wind is 6km/h.

Would love to see the response if he tries this stunt on his return to Malawi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

Why are you making this about race.

Do you want a free for all, no questions asked, kind of approach.

That is looking like what we have now.

You can fetch up in the island of Ireland from any far flung corner and claim asylum it seems.

Do you know where Malawi is.

I was just taking the mick out of the previous post.

I dived in the lake there many moons ago, visibility was sh*t, but the first time I used a sea scooter so it was fun. Nice people, lovely country and great weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yeah, pretty sure everyone knows that without having to google it. Just like ppl with anger issues started being called 'rageaholics'.

It comes from junk the slang term for H, and is not used to refer to people who smoke marijuana, unless you want to sound like a completely out of touch eejit.

If people try to go through life thinking every word can have only one meaning, they are going to struggle with the English language.

• Advertisement
Advertisement