Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Americanisms gone too far, are you guilty?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

Young people seem to be emulating their American conterparts by littering their conversations with "like":

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Colliewollie

No Irish person should use the term 'Mom'.

It sure it comes from gaelic, 'mam', pronounced ''mom''.. Maybe that's where the yanks got it from.. Irish immigrants.. I'm from a rural part of Kerry, never ever heard 'mum' or 'mam' until I went to 'college' in Limerick!!! Mammy or mummy sounds horribly British to my ears!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

It's not an Americanism when I do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Ipso wrote: »
    They'll be delighted growing up n The Cassidys, The Big Bow Wow, hot Milk and Pepper and Upwardly Mobile.

It'll be Bosco and Dilín ó Deamhas until they're old enough for Father Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I did have a pal who was into the whole skateboard scene and whilst that aspect of it was okay, he was fairly good at it too the music was the skater punk of the ‘90s variety you know that idyllic American suburbia shyte

The white boy ska, fecking trumpets etc. Other stuff he was a skaterboi I suppose but he had that tendency to end sentences on the incline? Is that even a question, I was never too sure but confident lad so he wasn’t looking for reassurance he definitely wasn’t convincing me either but discovered followed his passion and ended up printing up fecking Antifa T-shirts with silly slogans. Well into his forties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

When you've seen one Shopping Center you've seen a Mall.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I always make sure I have the proper Hiberno-English version of the word I want before I use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Anyone who uses the term bae should be killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Like, don’t let the snowflakes over here in the US know this sort of thing is going on or they’ll start crying ‘cultural appropriation.’

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Next time there's a thread about television here watch out for people talking about "what an important TV show The Wire was".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Anyone who uses the term bae should be killed.

And should be tortured before they are killed if they use the term Brah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

moonage wrote: »
    Young people seem to be emulating their American conterparts by littering their conversations with "like":

That's pure Cork like.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Oy vey, I could plotz when I hear shmuchs schmooze with schmaltzy Americanised schlock. That shtick is for untermensch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Awesome dudes

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

It's not just Americanisms that are infecting our language. I hear a lot of Dubs (usually male), saying "Cheers mate"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

It's not just Americanisms that are infecting our language. I hear a lot of Dubs (usually male), saying "Cheers mate"

Our kid says that all the time when we give him hot pot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Annoyed at people referring to albums, movies and things that "drop", as in they get released or go on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I like a lot of American expressions. So I use them. Such as “BURN!”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Was watching the RTE report on the Climate Strike and a couple of the teenage children (both boys) sounded 100% American.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

I'm like and she was like and he was like

I, like, hear the word like in every conversation these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Went with a friend to Dundrum shopping mall centre last week, and as we were leaving the car park she mentioned that she was taking the elevator to the stores on the top floor of the mall :cool:

"Elevator to the stores on the top floor of the mall" really? and I thought to myself, whatever happened with taking the lift to the shops on the top floor of the shopping centre?

I was just waiting for her to suggest we went to the 'movie theatre' after we collected the car from the parking lot, thankfully she hasn't got that bad (yet)!

Curious to know how widespread the terms like :elevator', movie theatre, shopping mall, and parking lot (instead of car park) have become in Ireland.

Maybe I'm showing my age by not adapting to the new American lingo? or are many young people selling out by adopting such Americanisms?

Hands up if I'm an old fuddy duddy :)

It’s top storey ya stupid Yank.

Gerry G wrote: »
    My young daughter, a few years back told me that the mail man had delivered the mail. Shocker. It's from kids and adults watching all that aul ****e American telly

We watched plenty American television programs back in the 70’s and didn’t end up talking like yanks, so I call nonsense to your theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Was watching the RTE report on the Climate Strike and a couple of the teenage children (both boys) sounded 100% American.

Haha that reminds me there was a guy in my class and when I first met him I thought he was over from America to study.
    Nope. He was just a bell end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,399 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Annoyed at people referring to albums, movies and things that "drop", as in they get released or go on sale.

Fillums.

eyerer wrote: »
    Haha that reminds me there was a guy in my class and when I first met him I thought he was over from America to study.
    Nope. He was just a bell end.

Guy? For the love of God, go home Yank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It started with Friends on TV and Irish people copying their mannerisms and telling jokes like chandler and such, saying things like 'Thank you' whjen someone says something they agree with and stuff like that, people saying 'hey' instead of hello and now with the majority of Children growing up watching American you-tubers it is only getting worse. Evolution of language I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭GIMP

My absolute bug bearer of Americanisms is the use of "Super" for everything that is positive or great. "Super nice" or "Super expensive" or "Super relaxing". What the fook is wrong in using the simple word "Very"?

Wrecks my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Dash_Of_Red

Super in front of everything.... And standing by watching and supporting Israel being terrorists

Predictably, many things here are things I grew up with.

If you want to call me copying some things from my parents, brothers, and friends Americanisms, then I don't see how Americanisms are a bad thing.

I didn't watch TV as a child so I picked this stuff up from Irish people. How many generations does it take for them to become Irishisms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Kids telling you 'I'm done' after eating. Where did 'I'm finished' or 'I've had enough go':confused:

Another thing is using floor instead of ground, though I'm not sure if that's an American thing or not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    We watched plenty American television programs back in the 70’s and didn’t end up talking like yanks, so I call nonsense to your theory.

Very good point actually.But when you think of it lots of kids are now watching other kids on youtube so maybe they are imitating their peers, plus spending many more hours watching it versus kids in 70s watching American tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Awsome thread guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I’ll never forget one of the solicitors working in my office saying that we would touch base later that morning, I wanted to jump out the f****** window.

Isn't that how languages develop and evolve? You can harp on all you like about "mom" and "OMG" and "fake news" etc, but it's not as if the Americans are invading out native language here!

We're already speaking a rural dialect of some other foreign language, most people are happy to continue with that, so what's the problem when that starts to develop?

Off the top of my head, people routinely use the word "google" as a verb. You think that's Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Blaizes wrote: »
    Another thing is using floor instead of ground, though I'm not sure if that's an American thing or not.

That's an odd one alright, don't know what the origin is either. My wife and children refer to the floor upstairs in our house as 'the ground', this also applies to the car, where the floor is also the ground and the seats become chairs :cool:

Not sure that this is an American influence though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,918 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Went with a friend to Dundrum shopping mall centre last week

"Centre" and "Car Park" are a bit Brit tbh.

I welcome our American overlords and their lingo.

And I look forward to parking in the parking lot and shopping in Dundrum mall next time i'm there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

OMG, that really takes the cookie biscuit :)

'Math' is another one that wrecks my old fashioned Irish brain.

That and LEGOS it’s just LEGO FFS.
    It sure it comes from gaelic, 'mam', pronounced ''mom''.. Maybe that's where the yanks got it from.. Irish immigrants.. I'm from a rural part of Kerry, never ever heard 'mum' or 'mam' until I went to 'college' in Limerick!!! Mammy or mummy sounds horribly British to my ears!!

I agree about mummy being very British but I always thought of mammy as the ‘Irish’ version of mummy. Mammy is used wholesale by Irish people in my experience. Even as adults. Don’t get me wrong, it quite endearing to hear an adult address their mother as mammy. However, when ‘mammy’ is not present or indeed has never been met by present company, I find it strange. Hard not to see your colleague as an 8 year old child when the say something like “I was talking to mammy last night.”
    I'm like and she was like and he was like

I, like, hear the word like in every conversation these days

I have declared war on the inappropriate usage of like by my kids. “Did you ‘like’ meet your friend or did you actually meet her?” They will thank me one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

This topic is badass, period!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Humphrey Menton

As regards the word 'mall', I have heard Irish people use the term occasionally. However, it was always pronounced 'm-al' (as in the first syllable of 'malware') as opposed to the American pronunciation we're all familiar with. Nevertheless, it always struck me as strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Watlock

Smoking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Off the top of my head, people routinely use the word "google" as a verb. You think that's Irish?

I prefer to ‘bing it’. Or ‘do you yahoo?’

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,506 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Alot of South Dublin say Mom

Think it sounds jarring

Never liked ma either tho.

Mam is a happy medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

noodler wrote: »

Think it sounds jarring

Mam is a happy medium.

Not a fan of ‘mam’, too working class in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I prefer to ‘bing it’. Or ‘do you yahoo?’

Alta Vista* it doesn't have the same ring to it.

*Some here will have to Google that. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Blaizes wrote: »
    Kids telling you 'I'm done' after eating. Where did 'I'm finished' or 'I've had enough go':confused:

But do you want to eat in the first place?
    I'm good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

Agreed, same goes for elevator (instead of lift).

Love in a lift doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,399 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I see Alot a lot. Is that American?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

noodler wrote: »

Think it sounds jarring

Mam is a happy medium.

Mum's the word!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭mossie

Heard my 8 year old nephew ask his father for "candy" recently. He is always on youtube watching other people playing games and picks up American words and slang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

girl I used to know, married to an American but never lived in America used the words sidewalk, faucet, trunk (as in boot of the car) store, real estate agent, she used put 'gas' in the car and so on. they lived in both the UK and Ireland but her husband adapted to the anglicised or 'Irish' words all the time ie path, tap, boot, shop,estate agent or auctioneer, petrol diesel etc. she was always trying to disguise being Irish and even spoke in an American accent. painful to be around.

Advertisement