Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Well are you?
Yes 130 21.56%
NO 346 57.38%
Unsure 66 10.95%
I don't drink 61 10.12%
Voters: 603. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-05-2012, 22:09   #61
Guill
Registered User
 
Guill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurramok View Post
On this part, I was a heavy drinker till a few months ago. I'm half and half now in that i drink a couple of bottles(5% beer) perhaps every 3 days and perhaps always on a Fri\Sat night have maybe 5 or 6. On Sundays its always zero as the thought always kicks in that I want to be in good shape for work. I was alot worse before, consumption was off the rails nearly every day of the week witn bad hangovers but personal mishaps contributed alot to that.

The personal stuff is well over and my consumption has gone down alot, it does not affect my family/work life now. Does that make me an alcoholic based on my present consumption? I do not know, i know i was previously!

On the sun\bbq thing, i'm torn between having a few bottles lets say midweek or exercise when the sun comes out. Last year, it was automatic beers in the good weather, not so now.
For example since the sun broke through on Monday, I had my first drink tonight(Wednesday). I did not drink Sunday, Monday or Tuesday as I had exercised each day in order to get out and enjoy the weather. Will I have a drink tomorrow, i know I won't, even Friday is in doubt., Saturday is definite.

Guess what i'm saying drink is not in control of me, i'm in control of it when I decide.

What type of excercise? I hate running and the gym. I am thinking of buying a bike and cycling in and out to work, (approx. 10 miles) just to try and start myself into a new routene.
Guill is offline  
Advertisement
23-05-2012, 22:12   #62
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 12,546
Alcoholic shmalcoholic.

Who wants an argument?
Chuck Stone is offline  
23-05-2012, 22:13   #63
Joey the lips
Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses
 
Joey the lips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 9,956
According to roisin shortall we are all alchoholics and the easiest way to solve our problem is to raise the price of drink.

I though that a very clever solution
Joey the lips is offline  
Thanks from:
23-05-2012, 22:13   #64
cranks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guill View Post
3.
oooh!
Talk to your GP.
cranks is offline  
23-05-2012, 22:19   #65
Guill
Registered User
 
Guill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey the lips View Post
According to roisin shortall we are all alchoholics and the easiest way to solve our problem is to raise the price of drink.

I though that a very clever solution

Yea I heard that on the radio today. I immediatly thought 'go **** yourself'.
Guill is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-05-2012, 22:20   #66
up for anything
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 5,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyTedson View Post
I think lots of people were thinking BBQ and booze today.

But yea, hard to define someone as an alcoholic.

What pisses me off is getting the sweats and the irregular heart beat trying to sleep after a weekend.

Last Saturday I had a fair few drinks, but didn't blackout (first time in ages) and even left early. Woke up the day after at 11 and felt quite fresh.
That's how to do it
Didn't feel like death in work on Monday either or get any depressed emotions.
Progress

But you only know yourself. If you start getting things like inflamed liver, miss work and start pissing people off with your drinking, it's probably a bad sign.

I'd personally like to be able to control my consumption while drinking but find it very hard to do so. The week before last I spent half my wages for the week on nights out

The key for me is starting earlier I think so I'm not just trying to get locked after starting. Start late afternoon, get some food and take it nice and slow. A lot better than rushing to the off license at 21:50 and knocking back 8 cans before heading out.

Not a really big fan of Guinness but it's great in the fact it sort of fills you and you don't tend to knock them back as quick, well that's what I find any way. I'd say in a night club I take 5 gulps of a pint of Heiniken when I'm fairly far gone. Then I start getting vodka redbulls or Whiskeys and that kind of finishes me off. Although I tend not to be seen to be drunk but the next day I'll have only remembered about 30 mins after getting to a club....

...Bah I'm rambling!
Why do you need to get so drunk?
up for anything is offline  
23-05-2012, 22:22   #67
ejmaztec
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 22,633
I see an ad on the bottom r/h side of the page offering to cure a drinking problem in 2 hours.

I gave up drinking years ago so that the problem would skip at least one generation after the old man's contribution. When I see the price of booze now, I think it was a wise decision.
ejmaztec is offline  
23-05-2012, 22:22   #68
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 13,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guill View Post
What type of excercise? I hate running and the gym. I am thinking of buying a bike and cycling in and out to work, (approx. 10 miles) just to try and start myself into a new routene.
Cycling and walking. This week I did walk alottttt. As I live in the burbs and am new to the area, I walked around for miles(about 6 on Sun, repeated Tues) to discover the place, I was tired after it but a good tired.
Drink was not on my mind at all, this is perhaps where you need to think to yourself, do I need to drink this evening to have a 'good time'? It did not cross my mind as I had an alternative, it did before when I drank alot blackout style!

You said earlier..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guill
I'm sure my waist line, liver, kidneys and god knows what else might disagree.
You will not notice the latter two immediately but you will notice the waistline visibly. Does it bother you? If so, let it be an incentive to exercise to divert your mind away from a drink. Breaking a sweat to obtain a goal(keep in shape) should help you concentrate on losing weight and best incentive is to do it in this warm weather.
gurramok is offline  
Thanks from:
23-05-2012, 22:23   #69
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurramok View Post
On this part, I was a heavy drinker till a few months ago. I'm half and half now in that i drink a couple of bottles(5% beer) perhaps every 3 days and perhaps always on a Fri\Sat night have maybe 5 or 6. On Sundays its always zero as the thought always kicks in that I want to be in good shape for work. I was alot worse before, consumption was off the rails nearly every day of the week witn bad hangovers but personal mishaps contributed alot to that.

The personal stuff is well over and my consumption has gone down alot, it does not affect my family/work life now. Does that make me an alcoholic based on my present consumption? I do not know, i know i was previously!

On the sun\bbq thing, i'm torn between having a few bottles lets say midweek or exercise when the sun comes out. Last year, it was automatic beers in the good weather, not so now.
For example since the sun broke through on Monday, I had my first drink tonight(Wednesday). I did not drink Sunday, Monday or Tuesday as I had exercised each day in order to get out and enjoy the weather. Will I have a drink tomorrow, i know I won't, even Friday is in doubt., Saturday is definite.

Guess what i'm saying drink is not in control of me, i'm in control of it when I decide.
This sounds like me, now, in terms of consumption. I maybe drink a little more than you.

I've maintained this level for about maybe 15 years. Never any worse.
Ruralyoke is offline  
Advertisement
23-05-2012, 22:26   #70
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 27,526
My best friend and mt sister were alcoholics and kicked the booze in recent times. I'm not sure the hellish place they were in and the familial carnage they wrought sounds like your account to be fair.

Some people like to drink and I think if it doesn't affect your job and your ability to dispense your duties as a friend./parent/partner/solvent entity then you're not really an alcoholic.
stovelid is offline  
Thanks from:
23-05-2012, 22:41   #71
flutterflye
Registered User
 
flutterflye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,464
Yeah, I don't know, it seems to me that you seem to have a problem with alcohol, but are not an alcoholic (yet anyway).
I have grown up with my father being an alcoholic, and now with my sister appearing to have the same problem, you're accounts as a whole are not even close to one night in either of their lives.
I would think to definitely chat to a doctor or even aa or someone like that, because there is a definite problem there.
I just don't think that it is alcoholism as such.
flutterflye is offline  
Thanks from:
23-05-2012, 22:46   #72
ebixa82
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,269
I'm 100% the same as the OP.

I too would consider myself an alcoholic.

I think the official line of "more than 5 units in one sitting" is bollix.

I am very hard working and a fitness freak (mid week), but ticked all the same boxes as the OP otherwise.
ebixa82 is offline  
23-05-2012, 22:55   #73
Guill
Registered User
 
Guill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebixa82 View Post
I'm 100% the same as the OP.

I too would consider myself an alcoholic.

I think the official line of "more than 5 units in one sitting" is bollix.

I am very hard working and a fitness freak (mid week), but ticked all the same boxes as the OP otherwise.

Pint?

Im very hard working but my fitness is extremely poor, used to be alot better, but given the choice of exercise or a nice beer and tv....
Guill is offline  
23-05-2012, 22:57   #74
monkeysnapper
Registered User
 
monkeysnapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2,093
I to sometimes think i have a problem with alcohol, i wont drink for months sometimes, and it doesnt bother me, BUT i do the food shopping every week and i wont buy alcohol because i know if its in the house i will have to drink it, im talking about red wine and beer, we always have spirits in the house and that doesnt bother me.

Then if i do go out for a drink with mates i end up pushing everyone to keep up with me because im finished my pint well before everyone ells. I get drunk and forget things and suffer terrible hangover next day and it takes me at least 2 days to get back to normal. Yeh tricky one.
monkeysnapper is offline  
23-05-2012, 22:59   #75
ebixa82
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guill View Post
Pint?

Im very hard working but my fitness is extremely poor, used to be alot better, but given the choice of exercise or a nice beer and tv....
I guess that's where we differ. Midweek I'm disciplined.

Functioning alcoholic.
ebixa82 is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search