Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭xyz123

Tried "red's Thai Red Curry Sauce" at the weekend. All natural ingredients and very spicy. Would recommend, although kids might find it a bit too hot.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

xyz123 wrote: »
    Tried "red's Thai Red Curry Sauce" at the weekend. All natural ingredients and very spicy. Would recommend, although kids might find it a bit too hot.

I absolutely love it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

SozBbz wrote: »
    Has anyone seen these avocado pods yet? Especially in either Terenure or Sandyford?

https://www.aldi.ie/kirkton-house-avocado-pod/p/016157293816901

Would be very useful, but only if they're decent quality obviously - don't want to be buying junk!

They had quite a few in Swords today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Your welcome.
    I'm Irish tho, not Thai!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Bit late to the party but I tried the Aldi Mediterranean style lamb sausages, and they were absolutely delicious. We had them with a Mediterranean lentil stew. Lovely meal, given the awful weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Debub

we got 2 packs each of Med and Meguez, both were good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Never heard of it or noticed it in the stores, is it a special or where will I find in the shop?

Fancy a good curry tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Recliner

Never heard of it or noticed it in the stores, is it a special or where will I find in the shop?

Fancy a good curry tomorrow.

Just realised I have a pack of this in the cupboard for a few weeks. I'll have to give it a try..

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

Debub wrote: »
    anybody seen these Sausages (Barry John's) in Aldi?

I haven’t seen these ones but I will cry with happiness if they bring the curry chip ones into Aldi! Nicest sausages ever

• Advertisement

AnnaSophia wrote: »
    I haven’t seen these ones but I will cry with happiness if they bring the curry chip ones into Aldi! Nicest sausages ever

Definately Great sausages - all the 3 flavors we tried were good

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

I don't want to turn this into the chicken thigh thread again but tried the spicy and southern fried varieties and hands down the worst chicken product I have ever purchased and half eaten. Disgusting grizzly strangely flavoured pieces of mystery meat pretending to be chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I found the hot spicy one ok . Did notice a good bit of grissel like mentioned above though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I don't want to turn this into the chicken thigh thread again but tried the spicy and southern fried varieties and hands down the worst chicken product I have ever purchased and half eaten. Disgusting grizzly strangely flavoured pieces of mystery meat pretending to be chicken.

Oh God. I have a box in the freezer and am almost afraid to try them now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Oh God. I have a box in the freezer and am almost afraid to try them now

They're grand. Quite nice chopped up and mixed in with a home made special egg fried rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Wanted to puke after I'd eaten it. Pure shyte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I much prefer chicken thigh to breast.
    More juicy and flavoursome.
    We Irish are just so used to breast meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I much prefer chicken thigh to breast.
    More juicy and flavoursome.
    We Irish are just so used to breast meat.

I have to say I am.just about giving.up eating chicken -I.might as well spread sauce on dry toast. I buy in Lild & Aldi all the time and while it may be fresh and look healthy and in date and occasionally corn fed it simply tastes.of nothing. Thats the breasts . The sliced packaged chicken and turkey are delicious but they are actually made with sugar/fructose/corn syrup and often potato or whey as bulk/additives. And they are tasty but I suspect not at all healthy. :( The only time chickens taste like ye olde fashioned tasty chickens are when I buy them ready roasted elsewhere or buy them and go to the effort of roasting them - but who has 1 1/2 or 2 hours for that ? :(

I have a thing for.their microwaveable popcorn and fancy cheeses thou!Secret guilty pleasure.

Oh God. I have a box in the freezer and am almost afraid to try them now :(

Haven't had one in a few weeks, but unless they've substantially changed the contents of the box, I found them to be fantastic, not KFC quality, but not far away from it either.

The posters experience above definitely didn't reflect the majority of posters who sampled them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I think it all depends on what kind of chicken you like - if you like smooth, evenly textured fatless chicken then a whole boned chicken thigh is going to be revoltingly full of strange textures and taste very fatty. If this is the case, then you'd probably be better off with some nuggets or a nice grilled skinless, boneless chicken breast (with a little salt if you're feeling daring!)

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I bought some 0% fat plain yogurt, was lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Space Dog

The Skyr yogurt in the big pots (not sure if it's new) is nice, I had strawberry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

whiskeyman wrote:
    I much prefer chicken thigh to breast. More juicy and flavoursome. We Irish are just so used to breast meat.

I absolutely love thighs. And they're cheap as chips because people don't buy them, so long may that continue! But a frozen, breaded one would do absolutely nothing for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rachaelf750

Space Dog wrote: »
    The Skyr yogurt in the big pots (not sure if it's new) is nice, I had strawberry.
    They the mango one, it's the best. I buy them four at a go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I absolutely love thighs. And they're cheap as chips because people don't buy them, so long may that continue! But a frozen, breaded one would do absolutely nothing for me.

Yeah we use boneless thighs for chicken teryaki and they're absolutely scrumptious.

I think I saw a great deal for a big pack of HopHouse13 cans yesterday. Was in a hurry so couldn't get the details, but looked to be a great price

Was 18 x500ml cans for €20

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Just seen the Brooklea greek yogurt has gone from 10% fat to 5%
    Any idea why they would do this? They have a fat free for those who want it. Greek yogurt is typically meant to be 10%, so now we have one that's somewhere in between.
    It was always sold out in my store so not that it wasn't a seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

The lamb sausages are lovely, think they are on special at the moment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    Any idea why they would do this? They have a fat free for those who want it. Greek yogurt is typically meant to be 10%, so now we have one that's somewhere in between.

I'm getting a bit tired of Aldi constantly doing stuff like that. They can't seem to leave anything alone lately. The cranberry juice disappeared for a few weeks. Came back last week in a different carton. It now tastes like bitter water, that's the only way I can describe it.

They're obviously continuously changing suppliers and trying to get the best possible price they can for everything, but in turn are peeing off the customer.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see they do a Brooklea upright tub greek style fat free one now for 69 cent too - slightly lower protein and more carbs than the wider "authentic" tub, so not sure it would be as thick perhaps. Hope they are not getting rid of the wider authentic one for 1.69 which is lovely and thick (and better macros!)

I wonder is it a brexit casualty (don't get me started on teh bran flakes decline a f ew months back!). The authentic greek ones were made in greece (as they have to be) the greek style are made in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

I see they do a Brooklea upright tub greek style fat free one now for 69 cent too - slightly lower protein and more carbs than the wider "authentic" tub, so not sure it would be as thick perhaps. Hope they are not getting rid of the wider authentic one for 1.69 which is lovely and thick (and better macros!)

I wonder is it a brexit casualty (don't get me started on teh bran flakes decline a f ew months back!). The authentic greek ones were made in greece (as they have to be) the greek style are made in the UK.

The one they've changed is the one you mentioned (wider, €1.69 and made in Greece)
    It's still made in Greece with Greek milk (it says) and is still branded as authentic.
    Have to say it still tastes good, but why mess with it in the first place??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Anyone get the burnt ends?
    Don't really know what to do with them lol!

BBQ sides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

The one they've changed is the one you mentioned (wider, €1.69 and made in Greece)
    It's still made in Greece with Greek milk (it says) and is still branded as authentic.

Oh thats annoying. I used to buy that a lot, as did a lot of people i know. It was basically a dupe for Fage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Greek yoghurt was traditionally made with sheep's milk.
    But I guess, they got it designated that they can use any Greek milk. Boo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Anyone get the burnt ends?
    Don't really know what to do with them lol!

BBQ sides?

Sounds interesting, burnt ends of what exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Whatever that horrible dogfood quality cut of meat is that they put in all those boxes and their pies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,166 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

DavyD_83 wrote: »

Usually brisket, I think.

I'm not vegan or even vegetarian, in fact I'd be a little bit like "Hughie" from the Aldi adverts of late, where he salivates over imaginary bits of meat *bit cringe worthy tbh*

However - bought the vegan sausage rolls for the wife, who thoroughly enjoyed them and the youngest lad was caught like a kipper into believing they were the real deal meaty sausage rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

I bought the specially selected honey roast ham slices today to use for sandwiches at lunchtime.....never again!!!! First time I have eaten ham that tasted of nothing, didn't even taste of ham never mind of honey

yogibear77 wrote: »
    I bought the specially selected honey roast ham slices today to use for sandwiches at lunchtime.....never again!!!! First time I have eaten ham that tasted of nothing, didn't even taste of ham never mind of honey

I think their torchon ham isn't too bad, maybe give it a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I tried some of the Harvest Morn cereal/snack bars recently. Both were really nice, and not too bad as a snack option. Will definitely be going back for more.

(1) Salted caramel almond & pretzel popcorn bar (93 cals)
    (2) Benefit Jaffa Cake bar (66 cals)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I used their chicken seasoning to make kale chips this evening and they're bloody delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I found turkey steaks that cook in a plastic bag in the microwave the other day!
    Never seen before.
    These ones had a Thai glaze.
    I was about to oven them (can do in bag also) but I wanted to see what microwave was like as it may be handy for lunches / late dinners in work.

Overall ok if stuck if reckon.
    Not sure if get again though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Jimmy McGill

Aldi's new store opens up in Ashtown tomorrow, anyone any idea what offers they'll have on?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Arbitrary

If not already mentioned.

• Greek Yogurt
    • Margherita Pizzas are decent, I usually add some herbs and olive oil
    • Olives are very good (small round packs in gree plastic, garlic & chilli and the Greek style
    • Half roast duck with HS sauce is excellent, deboned.
    • Tortillia Chips
    • Loose avacadoes
    • Rocket Salad or mixed leaves
    • Brannans Sausages
    • Their Parma Ham selection is great, all variants
    • Apple Cider Vinegar
    • Ketchup is pretty good
    • Wine can be great, I've found some excellent bottles from the Languedoc region reasonably priced, timing is everything
    • Their jams that look similar to the Bon Maman brand you find in Tesco is very good
    • Mild sliced cheese selection is good for toasties (edam, gouda etc)
    • Almond fingers
    • Brioche Buns
    • Nuts are generally all very good, pecans, nyom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,832 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Aldi's new store opens up in Ashtown tomorrow, anyone any idea what offers they'll have on?

I've seem these in the past year and overall they were disappointing enough.
    Probably a sat nav for around €50/etc.
    There should be a leaflet floating around the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm not vegan or even vegetarian, in fact I'd be a little bit like "Hughie" from the Aldi adverts of late, where he salivates over imaginary bits of meat *bit cringe worthy tbh*

However - bought the vegan sausage rolls for the wife, who thoroughly enjoyed them and the youngest lad was caught like a kipper into believing they were the real deal meaty sausage rolls.
    Yep, Ive switched anyway, I like having sausage rolls in the freezer for lazy Saturday and Sunday mornings and these are lovely, surprised how good the pastry is when you dont overdo it.

I think I saw a great deal for a big pack of HopHouse13 cans yesterday. Was in a hurry so couldn't get the details, but looked to be a great price

Was 18 x500ml cans for €20

Does anyone know if this is still on? Will go via Aldi then on the way back from work - thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Does anyone know if this is still on? Will go via Aldi then on the way back from work - thanks

Was still running yesterday (Wednesday 26th) in ALDI D3.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Was still running yesterday (Wednesday 26th) in ALDI D3.

Thanks - I am about 400 kms from D3 :) but hopefully I will have some in my nearest one in Dunmanway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Not living too far away from Ashtown but i had no idea they were building one there.
    Whereabouts is it?
    On the Navan Road side of the train or the Royal canal park side?

• Advertisement
Advertisement