Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Here's What I Had For Dinner - Part III - Don't quote pics!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Last night's dinner was lean beef burgers in a soft white bun, with a rocket, spinach and tomato salad. Simple but tasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Chow mein tonight, all made from scratch (I do one weekly at least)

Chicken for us carnivores.

IMG-20190430-181922.jpg

And tofu for the vegetarian in the house.
    IMG-20190430-181928.jpg

Extremely easy to make, healthy, and can be made from scratch on no time.

And yes, that's steam rising from the wok in the pictures. (In case you're wondering)

Anyone wants the method/ingredients let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hey Johnny Dogs, that looks great, I don’t normally cook Chinese food and haven’t eaten much of it in my life but I do like chow mein - could you give the recipe? It looks very tasty

leahyl wrote: »
    Hey Johnny Dogs, that looks great, I don’t normally cook Chinese food and haven’t eaten much of it in my life but I do like chow mein - could you give the recipe? It looks very tasty

No worries.

This can be adjusted according to taste (extra chillis etc) but this is the gist of it, the most time consuming part is preparing the base/veg.

Base
    (Finely chop/mince all of the following and mix well together)
    1 X chilli (add more or less according to your taste) seeds in or out depending if you want heat.
    3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
    About half a thumb sized piece of ginger, finely diced
    A few scallions, finely chopped
    A handful of corriander, rip off stems and finely chop (keep the rest)

Chicken, or whatever meat you prefer

A few florets of broccoli
    A few peppers finely sliced.

A couple of tbs of dark soy sauce

Some Chinese five spice
    Some Thai seven spice
    A large spoonful of honey.
    Juice from a ripe lime

Nest of egg noodles per 2 people.

Boil a kettle, cover a nest of noodles with boiling water, add in your broccoli florets, and cover in a saucepan.

Get your pan/wok really, really hot, while it's heating up, finely slice the chicken. When the pan is easy, add a bit of oil, and throw in your chicken, and fry until cooked.

Throw in your base ingredients and ensure the meat is well coated, then add a spoon of soy.

Add in your peppers, and cook until slightly soft.

Remove florets of broccoli from pot, and stirfry well together, add in some Chinese five spice according to taste.

Drain noodles, and add to wok.

Add more soy sauce if you feel it needs it.

When everything looks ready, add the lime juice, stir well, then add honey, stir well again, and add some Thai seven spice.

Add rest of corriander if you like.

Whole thing can be cooked in under twenty mins, and it's nicer than your local takeaway. Healthier too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Late dinner: pasta with canned mackerel, roast red peppers, rocket, garlic and chilli paste.

IMG-20190430-231405.jpg

Free-range chicken thighs, de-boned but skin on, marinated in chipotle and honey then oven roasted. Served with sweet potato fries and a big green salad of rocket, spring onion & tomato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Aldi Steak with chips and a Szechuan sauce. So good!

Baked potatoes, spicy barbecued beans with my local butchers specially made sausages (pork and leak, they're good) slow roasted with onions and some of Aldis sirracha slaw for good measure.

IMG-20190501-175751.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Inspired by Johnny Dogs’ stir fry I decided to pick up some extra veg and a jar of Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce) and made a stir fry with chicken and noodles. The sauce was lovely but it was super hot.

479220.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Cheesy beans (essentially re-fried style kidney beans bakes with herbs, spices and cheese), quesadilla filled with stir-fried vegetables and topped with sour cream and sriracha, and some nachos

Y0e0NCx.jpg

Shenshen wrote: »
    Cheesy beans (essentially re-fried style kidney beans bakes with herbs, spices and cheese), quesadilla filled with stir-fried vegetables and topped with sour cream and sriracha, and some nachos

**Drools**

In case it's not obvious from many of my home cooked meals, I'm a big fan of beans, that dish just looks amazing shen.

Brownie points for the veggie better half this weekend incoming. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Thought I posted this in the Aldi thread...

Presume the ones here are made with Irish beef?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Presume the ones here are made with Irish beef?

Yes they are with made with Irish beef

Salad consisting of rocket, and lettuce with a home made dressing, topped with shaved cucumber, tomatoes, scallions, beetroot, feta and walnuts and an egg.

Big lump of sirloin to go with it cooked medium.

IMG-20190506-182531.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A small repast of a moy park chicken kiev, half a banana and a handful of dark chocolate raisins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I did burgers last night. Mrs B & the Kids like the burgers our butcher makes. I'm not a fan of them & usually go for a steak or a couple of chops.

Last night I really fancied a burger & said I'd make my own. The others weren't too impressed when I said it'd just be mince, pepper & salt. They changed their tune when I dished them up.

I made the patties extra thin (5mm), but added two to a bun. They were only gorgeous, & being just seasoned mince & nowt else, they tasted really meaty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Spaghetti alla puttanesca. Lots of spice, tomatoes, oil, anchovies, olives, capers and a lot of garlic

k1b9m8.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Slices of belly pork slow roasted then finished on the barbecue, with potato salad and steamed greens.

Had another batch of beef stew from dizzy blondes slow cooker recipe.

IMG-20190512-215938.jpg

Yes, that's a wok I cook it in, but I find that the wok is the perfect thing to brown the meat (which I do in batches then followed by the veg/stock etc before returning the meat to the wok) , and then hold all the ingredients before transferring to the slow cooker.

Mine is made with steak pieces and mince, and it was so so good.

• Advertisement

Spiced chicken portions with Tarka Dhal and pilau rice.

IMG-20190514-180310.jpg

With mint yoghurt added.

IMG-20190514-181949.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I had a burger for dinner tonight, the best ever burger according to M&S, and tbf they’re not wrong. Beef and bone marrow. Incredible flavour and so juicy.

Had it with Italian lettuce, strong cheddar cheese, sliced tomato, fried onions, and my new favourite sauce, mayonnaise mixed with sriracha, all on a brioche bun. I’d easily would’ve eaten two!

480279.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That burger thread is getting us all in the mood....

Double cheeseburger with Wedges, BBQ’d Corn Cobs, Roasted Chickpea, Cucumber and Feta Salad with Coleslaw

DD6157-AF-BBBB-4569-B986-476-D6338-CFB4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Had been craving lasagna, craving satisfied!

aw55bk.jpg

Oh wow that lasagne looks amazing! Any special recipe you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Oh wow that lasagne looks amazing! Any special recipe you use?

Thanks! No nothing really, I watched a Matty Matheson recipe for his lasagna and as nice as it was it's way too heavy and greasy, even for a lasagna. But he did use some milk, and egg yolks in the sauce which I did here. The white sauce is dolmios cos when I make it from scratch it seems to disappear when it's cooked in the oven haha

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Minnie Snuggles

ekjmop.jpg

Greens with bacon, shallots, garlic and toasted almonds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Today I had no idea what to cook, so used todays Irish Times recipe:

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/food-and-drink/recipes/yotam-ottolenghi-s-one-pan-pasta-with-harissa-bolognese-1.3875242

But in a casserole not the suggested giant baking tray which seriously affected the reduction - was way too wet. Ladelled off a load of the moisture and reduced it in a pan on the hob before reintroducing to the casserole to fix that.

Its quite nice, nothing you've not had before but that's the point of it really. That said the claim of reducing the washing up is questionable as it leaves three parts from the food processor (bowl, blade, lid) to do even if you do have a suitable baking tray to avoid using a pot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

wdOQS70r.jpg

pearl couscous, brocolli, baby corn, mushrooms sun-dried tomatoes, capers, chickpeas, kidney beans, garlic, turmeric, ginger, smoked paprika.
    Simple, healthy, delicious.

Thursday night was a packet of M&S aromatic prawn laksa, which I bulked out with additional veg and Konjac noodles & coriander. Quite nice and light.

Last night was a quick and easy bowl of rigatoni, mixed through with a sauce of sun dried tomatoes, anchovies, onions & garlic. A little finely grated Parmesan on top to finish off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Some marbling on this, hopefully it tastes as nice(Aldi Ribeye) find British beef nowhere near as good as Irish. Served with some new jersey royals and purple broccoli

ace8e114-b17e-4b11-93bb-3e39d5b8ca5b.jpg

‘Fish ‘n’ Chips’ with Mushy Peas and Tartar Sauce

8-CEF6-D3-B-7-F15-4-B5-D-8978-CEDBD2072-BA7.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This is actually my breakfast now, but it's a dinner really! Naturli vegan mince from Dunnes (so good), asparagus, mushroom pasta sauce with a lot of extra mushrooms, babycorns, wholewheat pasta. Takes just a few minutes, would have added some red wine if I remembered my half empty bottle! As it is it's healthier though :D

7UF8ls1l.jpg

MvSCcQVr.jpg

Simple! Roast potatoes and roast brocolli with a no bull burger, nutritional yeast and French onion gravy.

An elegant small repast, swiftly prepared for someone who cannot be on her feet for long..

Fresh garden greens, gently simmered with thick slices off a bacon joint ( what we in the UK call gammon) and a half packet of instant noodles added .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Chicken and mushrooms in a creamy tomato sauce with pasta. I steamed the broccoli then forgot to stir it in :rolleyes:

IMG-6355.jpg

Had an amazing dinner yesterday in Damascus Gate on Camden Street.

Vegetarian mezza to share (falafels, feta, stuffed vine leaves, hummus and salad with pita) to start

Kabseh lamb, spiced lamb on a bed of rice with a portion of spicy sauce to go with it.

Some Syrian fries on the table to share, and pita bread for dipping.

I also had a bottle of Lebanese beer called Beirut with the main.

All in all, extremely tasty no photos though.

^ What’s the difference between Irish Fries and Syrian Fries?

They would have a spice mix on them for flavour.

• Advertisement

^ What’s the difference between Irish Fries and Syrian Fries?

They were cubed for starters, and dusted with a spice of some sort, not unlike Patatas bravas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Chicken and vegetable fried rice and homemade slightly-brainy-anemic-looking-but-exceptionally-tasty pork gyozas. Recipe yielded 50 gyozas so it’s just as well they are delicious :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Chicken and vegetable fried rice and homemade slightly-brainy-anemic-looking-but-exceptionally-tasty pork gyozas. Recipe yielded 50 gyozas so it’s just as well they are delicious :)

Whenever I make gyoza, I think “I’ll freeze half”. I then deeply regret that decision because I don’t think there’s an upper limit on how many gyoza I could eat.

Did you make the wrappers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Faith wrote: »
    Whenever I make gyoza, I think “I’ll freeze half”. I then deeply regret that decision because I don’t think there’s an upper limit on how many gyoza I could eat.

Did you make the wrappers?

Yes!! And it was so easy! 210g plan flour & 180mls hot water in to the stand mixer with a dough hook for 10 mins until smooth. Let it rest covered in flour and then cling film for 40 mins before rolling and assembling.

I cooked 20, 5 each for dinner, 5 more for himself to snack on and then I’m chancing reheating 5 for lunch tomorrow. The other 30 have gone in to the freezer in batches of 10.

I halved this recipe, for both the wrappers and the filling :)

https://youtu.be/tkGsB0omCoA

Baked potato with plentiful butter ( irish of course), quiche, and webbs lettuce.. Then home made sponge custard with lashings of freshly made blackberry jam, from fruit still in the freezer.

Saltimbocca alla Romana

A carb-free dinner that was bloody lovely!

A7-F6-D138-3-A61-4-D7-F-84-DB-67-E46-B389024.jpg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/one_pan_saltimbocca_alla_71615

• Advertisement

Noon dinner here... Large baked Rooster, garden greens ( leaves of broccoli and first of the new kale) and bacon... all home cooked.... simply delicious and sustaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Chickpea burgers. Tasty, but my new cayenne is hotter than I'm used to; the faces the baby was pulling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Halloumi and houmous wrap with pickled vegetables and red pesto

Lws71FR.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Tofu penang with red rice and green beans.

IMG-20190618-194039.jpg

Delicious noon main meal.... Baked rooster potato , what we called "fried cheese" in my long ago childhood, ie cheese slowly melted in water, traditionally in a frying pan, and i whizzed an egg into it... side salad of chopped webbs and grated apple. Pleasantly replete.... ;)

One of these days I will remember I now have a camera but i was very hungry indeed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement