Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aoife Dooley abused online after her article appeared in Junior Cert paper!

167891012»

Comments

Am I in the minority when I say that trolling by random strangers I've never and will never meet has just never phased me online? It's one thing to be cyberbullied by people you know in real life because that usually has horrible real-life consequences which extend after one puts down the phone or laptop - I'd imagine very few people who are cyberbullied by people they know in real life are not also bullied in person by those same people. But threatening, abusive or trolling messages from random strangers? Honestly it always just made me laugh.

I'm not excusing douchebags for being douchebags, I just find it strange that the separation between screen persona and physical persona has apparently shrunk to non-existent. In my life, there's Hatrickpatrick and there's Paddy, and someone sending Hatrickpatrick sh!t over the internet doesn't hurt Paddy emotionally in real life. Now, Paddy has all of the main social networks, and of those, his Twitter is publicly available while his Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram etc are "real-life friends only" - if a real life friend was to start being a piece of sh!t on any of these platforms, that'd probably upset Paddy a lot, and has in the past. If a random stranger starts being a piece of sh!t to hatrickpatrick (or to Paddy on his Twitter account), Paddy just reads the messages and either closes them or if appropriate, tries to conjure an amusing rebuttal one-liner. If some stranger makes a threat against Paddy or hatrickpatrick on any of these platforms, his reaction is just "Good luck finding out where I live, and even if you do, my dog isn't nearly as cute as she looks if you piss her off, good luck attacking me with several dozen kilos of labrador chewing on your ass" :D

My point is, am I in the minority in taking this view? I regard the concept of 'cyberbullying' as bullying by real-life contacts who also make one's life a misery in the physical realm (for example, school or college people starting rumours or whatever which results in social isolation or embarrassment in person, in the physical world). But I literally don't understand how anyone can be truly upset by the ramblings of random rabble rousers on the internet - surely if you don't know someone in real life and you've never met them, you have no real emotional connection to that person or desire to be liked by them? The poster directly above my post at the time of writing this is the user Odyssey06. I do not know this individual in real life, only as someone who posts on AH. If the next post from Odyssey06 were to say something like "hatrickpatrick is a fat, creepy little bollocks and I'm going to go to his house and kick the sh!te out of him", I'd just be like "...ok then? Good luck finding me sir/madam, and I may be a little rotund but I'm stronger than I look ;) "

It's in that context that I tend to be dismissive of this stuff. When did we start taking words written by random strangers we'll never meet as something to be emotionally invested in? There are seven billion people on this planet and I'll probably never meet more than a few hundred or thousand of them at best. If one of the few hundred of them I know and like were to threaten violence against me, that'd upset me and it might scare me. If one of the other 6.99 billion of them that I don't know threatens violence against me, they're just... Irrelevant strangers. Move message to spam folder and move on.

Look, I'm not defending the behaviour or suggesting that I have no sympathy for those who are actually emotionally hurt by the writings of strangers, I'm empathetic towards it insofar as I can be, I just don't understand it. They're strangers. You'll never meet. Who cares what brain farts they fire in your direction? You can't smell farts over the internet, like.

Good post. I agree with you.

I feel like a lot it is due to the dereliction of personal responsibility and self infantilisation which appears quite commonplace these days.

Apparently you can’t expect that adults might be able to shrug things off or quietly deal with things themselves anymore.
    There always has to be a Daddy to run to now to make it better.

(Again absolutely not condoning this online abuse or whatever but c’mon in all reality some eejit 15 year olds sent you some mean messages. I’d be worried for myself if some literal children were capable of shaking me to the core with a bit of trolling).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Good post. I agree with you.

I feel like a lot it is due to the dereliction of personal responsibility and self infantilisation which appears quite commonplace these days.

Apparently you can’t expect that adults might be able to shrug things off or quietly deal with things themselves anymore.
    There always has to be a Daddy to run to now to make it better.

(Again absolutely not condoning this online abuse or whatever but c’mon in all reality some eejit 15 year olds sent you some mean messages. I’d be worried for myself if some literal children were capable of shaking me to the core with a bit of trolling).

Eh, you kind of are. Downplaying it anyway.

It's easy to say it doesn't matter but you never know if it's going to turn into real life or not, nothing to stop any cranks taking it further

Eh, you kind of are. Downplaying it anyway.

Eh no. I’m not. Which is why I bothered to state as such. Don’t twist my words please.

I’m simply echoing the poster quoted in my comment in that I don’t think a few mean messages from some random children on the internet warrants involving the national media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If you let kids do this kind of stuff and go 'oh, they're just kids', they're not going to learn. If they're not taught this now, they're not going to magically pick it up as adults.

Attention should be drawn to it and rightly so. If people are sending you rape/death threats then defo get the Guards involved. Maybe a shock to the system will be enough to teach them to cop on.

• Advertisement

Eh no. I’m not. Which is why I bothered to state as such. Don’t twist my words please.

I’m simply echoing the poster quoted in my comment in that I don’t think a few mean messages from some random children on the internet warrants involving the national media.

No twisting. That’s how I interpreted your post.

Adding the “I don’t condone” disclaimer is like someone saying “No offence but” and then saying something offensive. It doesn’t cancel out what was said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's easy to say it doesn't matter but you never know if it's going to turn into real life or not, nothing to stop any cranks taking it further

And even if they never turn into real life, despite the children's rhyme words do hurt!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Aaaaaand SirGerryAdams et al didn't condemn Joe Simpson as over sensitive. My monocle has fallen into my brandy I'm so shocked.

Every bit as hypocritical and inconsistent as those on the left they condemn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Your Face wrote: »
    She just wants attention.

Yes I'm really sure she wanted all the rape threats, abuse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I think its disgusting that these young people subjected this young woman to this terrible ordeal. It's quite disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Grayson wrote: »
    It's very derivative. If they hadn't copied it from the inbetweeners it'd be impressive.

Just seen this now. Yeah, I know it's the Inbetweeners but it just works. I have visions of yer man crawling back to his base camp and the yellow Panda driving by with Jay shouting 'Crevasse Wanker!' at the top of his voice at Simpson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,311 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Just seen this now. Yeah, I know it's the Inbetweeners but it just works. I have visions of yer man crawling back to his base camp and the yellow Panda driving by with Jay shouting 'Crevasse Wanker!' at the top of his voice at Simpson.

And Will looking at Jay in disgust saying " Stop being an arsehole, we should help him"

And, like, it kind of suits because that bit in the documentary was already absurdly funny in parts:
    The Boney M bit and the bit where he said he’d be crying deliriously if he didn’t make his next target in the goal time. Someone going by in a car, yelling ‘Crevasse wanker!’ could be another hallucination! :pac:

Advertisement