Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any reason not to burn turf in a fire pit?

Options
  • 08-06-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

reason im asking, you cant cook food on turf so is it bad sitting in front of it while its burning? its alot cheaper that throwing oak into the pit.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

reason im asking, you cant cook food on turf so is it bad sitting in front of it while its burning? its alot cheaper that throwing oak into the pit.....

I'd imagine it doesn't smell quite as sweet as oak?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

You can cook food on a turf fire.
    Your forefathers did it for thousands of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

It produces masses of ash is the only thing that would put me off...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You can cook food on it ...but turf has moisture so it leaves tar ...and its smokier ...

Does your stove have a grate? Turf needs air from under.

Just clean the stove straight after though you will get build of tar otherwise.

s4uv3 wrote: »
    It produces masses of ash is the only thing that would put me off...

Diff types of turf produce diff amounts of ash.

Also if its sold by weight you are paying for mostly water weight these days so much moisture content in todays turf.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

morally wrong as it's bad for the environment

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭howyegettinon1

dmc17 wrote: »

i been throwing oak in just for the smell at about 10 to 1 ratio, does the job

policarp wrote: »
    You can cook food on a turf fire.
    Your forefathers did it for thousands of years.

bit they did it in a pot and with chimney to draw the smoke away :) i was comparing it to charcoal btw as in ya wouldnt cook your steak over a lump of turf

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Throw another sod of cannabis on the fire there.

Not your ornery onager

You can cook food on it ...but turf has moisture so it leaves tar ...and its smokier ...

Does your stove have a grate? Turf needs air from under.

Just clean the stove straight after though you will get build of tar otherwise.

i have a stove in the house, ive a load of turn left from the winter so i cut a barrel in half for a fire pit for outside and was wondering if there any reason i shouldnt use turf jnstead of the popular image of throwing logs into the pit. and the only reason that thought came about was that you dont cook over thr nake turf flame, ya know as i bbqing over it

• Advertisement

Diff types of turf produce diff amounts of ash.

Also if its sold by weight you are paying for mostly water weight these days so much moisture content in todays turf.

we get our own cut and its bone dry its in a shed all winter with plenty of airflow, but it is working out about a thrird/quater for what you would pay for hardwood

i know you should cook over turf, but what is the actual reason anyone know? is it bad for you or just unpleasant comparing to charcoal say?

Esel wrote: »
    Throw another sod of cannabis on the fire there.

ah what a waste that would be

Nobelium wrote: »
    morally wrong as it's bad for the environment

proabably would be morally wrong if ya cooked someone over it :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

dmc17 wrote: »

Oh I love the smell of burning turf. Absolutely love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,841 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

So do I !
    I always think it's a homely , comforting smell :)

i have a stove in the house, ive a load of turn left from the winter so i cut a barrel in half for a fire pit for outside and was wondering if there any reason i shouldnt use turf jnstead of the popular image of throwing logs into the pit. and the only reason that thought came about was that you dont cook over thr nake turf flame, ya know as i bbqing over it

You are prob not going to get naked flame from turf ....unless you add coal and wood ..its a slow burn ...

If you put potatoes in foil among the embers to cook. Or for other stuff use a pot.

Everything you cook this way will have a distinctive taste though.

My moms family used peat to cook on the stove it had a removable grate though. My dad cooked potatoes on a peat fire as a kid.

If you have cast iron pots you can use those.

You are prob not going to get naked flame from turf ....unless you add coal and wood ..its a slow burn ...

If you put potatoes in foil among the embers to cook. Or for other stuff use a pot.

Everything you cook this way will have a distinctive taste though.

My moms family used peat to cook on the stove it had a removable grate though. My dad cooked potatoes on a peat fire as a kid.

If you have cast iron pots you can use those.

what do you mean by naked flame? you get plenty of flame of the turf, ive a back boiler stove running of the turf heating the house all winter and the thing is roaring with flames, burned it outside tonight too in the barrel pit and no different that burning wood in terms of flames

i must try cooking using tinfoil or a pot with turf, i used to do potatoes in wood fires with tin foil as a kid too, really nice smokey taste to them and a big lump of butter to go with em

the smell of you killing the planet

what do you mean by naked flame? you get plenty of flame of the turf, ive a back boiler stove running of the turf heating the house all winter and the thing is roaring with flames, burned it outside tonight too in the barrel pit and no different that burning wood in terms of flames

i must try cooking using tinfoil or a pot with turf, i used to do potatoes in wood fires with tin foil as a kid too, really nice smokey taste to them and a big lump of butter to go with em

Its an acquired taste. Enjoy. :)

• Advertisement

would ya goway with that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The planet is not dying.

would ya goway with that.....

Thankfully Leo and the Greens are going to ensure you don't get away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Thankfully Leo and the Greens are going to ensure you don't get away with it

Turf wars? :pac:

gozunda wrote: »
    Turf wars? :pac:

The EU won that one, they banned turf cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The EU won that one, they banned turf cutting.

Nope. Incorrect. Turf cutting is only prohibited on a number of boglands designated as special conservation areas in Ireland.

The EU has no more banned all turf cutting than it has banned the mining of coal. Although the fact that the EU is effectively run by Germany maybe it's not surprising considering how 'bad that is for the environment'.

If you could leave off with the preaching - that would be great thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

paging Ming Flannagan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

**** the planet. You lot have taken enough livelihoods already.

Advertisement