Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cadburys Chocolate - recipe change - and not for the better?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

BobMc wrote: »
    Take the roses at xmas, people see 3 tins (sorry plastic tubs) for tenner or whatever and buy them.

Walk away leave them on the shelf, when Dunnes or tesco start sending back pallets of unsold crap they cant shift they might get the message. But alas Quality costs money and for the most part consumers are easily lead by price point
    rather than ingredients and cost. Will it ever change ?

Yup. A few years back I bought a couple of tubs of Miniature Heroes and Roses on offer at Christmas. I should have known better because earlier that year I'd bought a box of Creme Eggs and they were inedible but the 2 for €7 offer got me. I couldn't eat the chocolate in the tubs. They were so, so horrible. It's not that they weren't as nice as they used to be. Eating a sweet was a genuinely unpleasant experience where my over-riding feeling was a desire to get the chocolate out of my mouth as fast as possible. I ate two from the whole box and spend the next 6 months putting them out whenever I had guests in the hope that someone else would eat them. And eventually threw what was left in the bin.

The next year at Christmas I was momentarily tempted to buy the tubs again when they were on offer but sense prevailed. Instead I went to Aldi and Lidl and bought packs of their chocolates that actually taste nice and put them in festive boxes at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I still love Cadbury's ; always have.

......regarding the glass and a half of milk thing.......that's still in the ingredients of the Dairy Milk Bar.........

"Ingredients
    Milk**, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Vegetable Fats (Palm, Shea), Emulsifiers (E442, E476), Flavourings, **The equivalent of 426 ml of Fresh Liquid Milk in every 227 g of Milk Chocolate, Milk Solids 20 % minimum, actual 23 %, Cocoa Solids 20 % minimum, Contains Vegetable Fats in addition to Cocoa Butter"

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/cadbury-dairy-milk-chocolate-45g?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=WzgRcgdHGfhXNsh4G1EjV0oHVnuy8leYPMP5iOk6uHfTKbcn6oBcg1v7wnTEmT39OLereQUABD%2FSsCJipdPcY7S%2FogJWvAPpaqsJhuoCX%2BP0pvqDmy3a7R38dpj%2FNzwpmwWZSfZ%2F3InZA3DNAzScfx3XNQ0EcMbobCtWm055lBU%3D&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fcadbury-dairy-milk-chocolate-45g

Dropped verbally due to a metric measure spiel thing....

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-11427357

"Cadbury said it had been advised that it would be forced to drop the phrase describing the ingredients under European rules.

"Because EU regulations state that by 2010 all weights and measures on packs must be in metric, given our long run times we felt it was sensible to make that change now," said spokesperson Tony Bilsborough."

Interestingly the chocolate crumb that makes the bars is made in Rathmore, Co Kerry. I used to visit that factory once a month back in the mid 00s, they were a customer of mine.

Augeo wrote: »
    ......regarding the glass and a half of milk thing.......that's still in the ingredients of the Dairy Milk Bar.........

"Ingredients
    Milk**, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Mass, Vegetable Fats (Palm, Shea), Emulsifiers (E442, E476), Flavourings, **The equivalent of 426 ml of Fresh Liquid Milk in every 227 g of Milk Chocolate, Milk Solids 20 % minimum, actual 23 %, Cocoa Solids 20 % minimum, Contains Vegetable Fats in addition to Cocoa Butter"

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/cadbury-dairy-milk-chocolate-45g?langId=44&storeId=10151&krypto=WzgRcgdHGfhXNsh4G1EjV0oHVnuy8leYPMP5iOk6uHfTKbcn6oBcg1v7wnTEmT39OLereQUABD%2FSsCJipdPcY7S%2FogJWvAPpaqsJhuoCX%2BP0pvqDmy3a7R38dpj%2FNzwpmwWZSfZ%2F3InZA3DNAzScfx3XNQ0EcMbobCtWm055lBU%3D&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fcadbury-dairy-milk-chocolate-45g

Dropped verbally due to a metric measure spiel thing....

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-11427357

"Cadbury said it had been advised that it would be forced to drop the phrase describing the ingredients under European rules.

"Because EU regulations state that by 2010 all weights and measures on packs must be in metric, given our long run times we felt it was sensible to make that change now," said spokesperson Tony Bilsborough."

Interestingly the chocolate crumb that makes the bars is made in Rathmore, Co Kerry. I used to visit that factory once a month back in the mid 00s, they were a customer of mine.

Apparently the veg fats are palm oil. Cadbury were strongly featured in the Iceland campaign I think. I used to pass that factory in Rathmore often and wonder if they had free samples ;)

I can still tell Cadbury from any other chocolate and prefer it. Including the creme eggs..

Graces7 wrote: »
    ........... I used to pass that factory in Rathmore often and wonder if they had free samples ;)............

They were lovely folk to visit. I used do maybe 4 hours work there after arriving at 10am ish.
    I was never given samples but they'd always provide a complementary lunch which isn't the norm as I was in a service engineer type role.
    As it was the crumb they manufactured they didn't make any actual finished product on site, the crumb I imagine would be quite the treat but maybe not the most appropriate sample to gift someone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

They were lovely folk to visit. I used do maybe 4 hours work there after arriving at 10am ish.

The Coolock site was highly unionised. Back in the 80's I worked as a network engineer and was told by my company that I wasn't to change/replace and mains cables to the PCs or IBM 3270 Terminals as it would cause the sparks to go out on strike.

Demarcation Brothers! (and Sisters!).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I was never given samples but they'd always provide a complementary lunch which isn't the norm as I was in a service engineer type role.
    As it was the crumb they manufactured they didn't make any actual finished product on site, the crumb I imagine would be quite the treat but maybe not the most appropriate sample to gift someone :)

Almost certain that site also has the flaking/swirling machines (as in all of the ones they have) and as such does make a finished product in Flake and also the insides for Twirl

.....apologies, I thought it was just the crumb they made :)

the only other chocolate I really like is Butlers but it is both above my pay grade and as I am on a small offshore island with limited access to shops, hard to come by.
    when I lived near Killarney and visited the Traditiional farms at Muckross often I used to treat myself to a bar at the shop there..

Meanwhile Cadbury's is a standard part of my shopping order list.

Advertisement