Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turboprop taking off 75km gusts

Options
  • 08-12-2019 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am due to take a quick round-trip tomorrow and the next day. Planning to fly from Glasgow on Tuesday night but I see gusts of 75km (40kts) forecast. It's on one of the ATR turboprops that AerLingus regional use.

I know nobody has a crystal ball but do those gusts seem severe enough to impact takeoff/landing for one of those planes. Don't want to bother traveling at all if I won't be back Tuesday or likely to be sat delayed till all hours.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Sconsey wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am due to take a quick round-trip tomorrow and the next day. Planning to fly from Glasgow on Tuesday night but I see gusts of 75km (40kts) forecast. It's on one of the ATR turboprops that AerLingus regional use.

I know nobody has a crystal ball but do those gusts seem severe enough to impact takeoff/landing for one of those planes. Don't want to bother traveling at all if I won't be back Tuesday or likely to be sat delayed till all hours.

Thanks

Nobody will be able to tell you with any real certainty. Obviously the forecast isn’t perfect so it may not end up that strong at the time of your flight, but equally, if the wind is straight down the runway, the speed of it is a lot less relevant. They take off into the wind because they fly by getting air over the wings, a big headwind just means getting away from the ground faster.

Advertisement