04-05-2021, 15:21   #2836
Sky King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post
Eircodes are not postcodes
They basically are. Eircodes were devised to make postal distribution more efficient, that's why the map of them initially appears to be slightly illogical - it's aligned with our postal system which often ignores county borders etc.

https://www.autoaddress.ie/images/de...2.png?sfvrsn=2
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2021, 15:46   #2837
yagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
They basically are. Eircodes were devised to make postal distribution more efficient, that's why the map of them initially appears to be slightly illogical - it's aligned with our postal system which often ignores county borders etc.

https://www.autoaddress.ie/images/de...2.png?sfvrsn=2
Eircodes are site specific, whereas postcodes as used in the USA, UK, Aus and elsewhere in the world are local specific with varying degrees of proximity.

For example a UK postcode will be street specific, whereas US and Oz postcodes will only cover a town/city administrative area.
(2) thanks from:
04-05-2021, 17:05   #2838
Gregor Samsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagan View Post
Eircodes are site specific, whereas postcodes as used in the USA, UK, Aus and elsewhere in the world are local specific with varying degrees of proximity.

For example a UK postcode will be street specific, whereas US and Oz postcodes will only cover a town/city administrative area.
That's not using any official definition of a "postcode", though is it? Just because the postcode systems in other countries have varying levels of geographic specificity doesn't mean that a system that is very specific isn't a postcode.

One definition of a postcode is "a group of numbers or letters and numbers which are added to a postal address to assist the sorting of mail." There's nothing in there that says that if they're too specific, they can't be a postcode. The question - and it's a very pedantic one really - is whether they're used for sorting mail or not.

Another definition of a postcode is "a short series of letters and numbers that is part of an address, and shows exactly where a place is". An Eircode is certainly covered by that.

Last edited by Gregor Samsa; 04-05-2021 at 17:11.
Thanks from:
04-05-2021, 17:07   #2839
KevRossi

*Sigh

A map of Eircodes in Ireland. Click for hi-res.

04-05-2021, 17:10   #2840
Tell me how

Quote:
Originally Posted by yagan View Post

I'm still not sure what you are saying here. What is the difference between 'site' and 'local'?
Advertisement
04-05-2021, 17:12   #2841
ohnonotgmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post
I'm still not sure what you are saying here. What is the difference between 'site' and 'local'?
eircodes cover one address. us and uk codes cover multiple addresses in an area.
04-05-2021, 17:15   #2842
blackwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell me how View Post

Eircode are unique to each home/property. You put the Eircode in and it gives you the exact site/location.

In most other countries, a postcode only identifies the local area. In the UK it's typically a street, in France it could cover several blocks in a neighborhood
Thanks from:
04-05-2021, 17:19   #2843
BonnieSituation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnonotgmail View Post
eircodes cover one address. us and uk codes cover multiple addresses in an area.
Indeed

An eircode covers one business or residential delivery point, ie. A letter box. Other Postal code systems cover larger areas varying from local delivery areas to vast swathes of countryside.

The UK uses suffixes on their already outdated and clunky system to further refine the granularity of an individual postcode.

I've many examples of shared rural UK postcodes that are many miles from each other which would be unexpected from a geographical knowledge point of you.

An eircode is merely a remapping of the building points table of the Geodirectory. [Slightly more to it than that, but that's the essence of it]
04-05-2021, 17:42   #2844
marcbrophy

Lads...
Advertisement
04-05-2021, 17:55   #2845
mzungu

Ten million years time. (Based on current predictions and data)

04-05-2021, 18:05   #2846
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
They basically are. Eircodes were devised to make postal distribution more efficient,
Nope. An Post had a computerised system that recognised handwriting. They didn't need postcodes.

Everyone else did. But they wouldn't share with each other.

Dublin and Cork kept their postal districts. Beyond that it's semi-random for the 3 digit area and then a random letter and three random alphanumerics but
0 not O etc.

04-05-2021, 18:13   #2847
stopthevoting

One of the longest possible journeys within a single county in Ireland,
2hr 59min (or 3hr 7min avoiding tolls),
according to a post about a challenge to find this journey https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-ne...-road-19541313
A strange thing about the article is that it doesn't even mention Donegal, but it mentions Sligo. "There were attempts to make the case for counties like Mayo, Sligo and Galway as having A to B journeys of a longer distance - but none of them came even close to any number of cross-Rebel County road trips you can do."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cork.JPG (64.0 KB, 115 views)
(3) thanks from:
04-05-2021, 18:19   #2848
BattleCorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthevoting View Post
2hr 59min
I once had a car like that too.
04-05-2021, 18:27   #2849
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

First Ever Geologic Map of Io: 425 Volcanoes, No Craters
Thanks from:
04-05-2021, 18:32   #2850
McGaggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthevoting View Post
2hr 59min (or 3hr 7min avoiding tolls),
according to a post about a challenge to find this journey https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-ne...-road-19541313
A strange thing about the article is that it doesn't even mention Donegal, but it mentions Sligo. "There were attempts to make the case for counties like Mayo, Sligo and Galway as having A to B journeys of a longer distance - but none of them came even close to any number of cross-Rebel County road trips you can do."
I'd be dubious about Donegal not being featured. Going back to the address discussion above, Lifford is included in the postal address of a lot of the county, including Malin head. According to Google maps, the distance between those two is 86km. Of that's the distance between two parts of a postal address, then I think Donegal could beat a 2h59 drive.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion