Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

For Mondeo "cornering" lights

Options
  • 15-06-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 2016 Mondeo, nice, comfortable cruiser that spends most of it's time on the motorway. It suits my purposes in every way and it's a generally boring, mundane but comfy car with plenty of toys...

However, one of the toys that really, really annoys me is the 'cornering' 'spotlights'. Every time I indicate or turn a corner, one of the fog lights (for calls them spotlights...) comes on and then goes off when the cornering move is finished.

I know a lot of cars have this feature but it just looks terrible imo.

Does anyone know if it's possible to switch this 'safety' feature off anywhere in the car settings? I can't seem to find anything :(

Also, am I alone in thinking this 'feature' is absolute cack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I have a 2016 Mondeo, nice, comfortable cruiser that spends most of it's time on the motorway. It suits my purposes in every way and it's a generally boring, mundane but comfy car with plenty of toys...

However, one of the toys that really, really annoys me is the 'cornering' 'spotlights'. Every time I indicate or turn a corner, one of the fog lights (for calls them spotlights...) comes on and then goes off when the cornering move is finished.

Does anyone know if it's possible to switch this 'safety' feature off anywhere in the car settings? I can't seem to find anything :(

Also, am I alone in thinking this 'feature' is absolute cack?

Leave as is nothing wrong with extra lighting especially on bad corners.....

I see no issues with it at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Leave as is nothing wrong with extra lighting especially on bad corners.....

I see no issues with it at all....

I guess. It's just that I've managed all these years without them (and have lived in rural Ireland for the past 5 years and never needed them).

Each to their own I suppose, but if there's a way to stop this crap that doesn't involve me having my fog lights on all the time, then I'd like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It does look terrible from outside but I experimented with my own car and coded to add this function and the lighting benefit around tight corners and into gateways was significant.
    I deleted it again though as it looked terrible.
    I'm sure anyone with suitable diagnostic kit can turn off this function on your ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

I always thought of this style of "cornering light" as a bit of a marketing con.

It's an entirely software based feature, when I'm sure many people are lead to believe that the headlights move on winding roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

How does coding it off on your car help you? It's everyone elses car that you see, not your own.

And no-one else gives your Mondeo a second glance regardless, it's effectively invisible like a Passat or Octavia, so it won't be bothering anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Aren't you..... In the car driving. So why would you care what it looks like from outside.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I have this in my Kia Ceed, but instead of the fog light, there is an extra light in the main light cluster that shines in respective dark spot. I find it very effective and really increases the illumination when turning. I think the fog light method, while positive, to be a lazy way of providing the feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

What if you turn on your front fogs and leave them on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Deminiman wrote: »

50%of the country's drivers tried this fix and liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

@ OP
    Get a modified ELM327 cable on ebay and download Forscan to your laptop, Code out that feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Cornering lights that work in daylight are just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I'd say with Ford software it could be coded back out of the car. If you still service with your dealer, they might do it. Otherwise you might find the Ford software online. Should be a simple task with the right tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Deminiman wrote: »

County Wexford special, I always know I'm home when I start seeing the fogs....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Cornering lights that work in daylight are just stupid.

I thought they only work when dipped (or full beam) lights are on, and considering the car has DRLs then dipped or full beam are normally only used at night.
    Exception being dipped lights used in rain or fog at daying, in which case cornering lights are pointless indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

CiniO wrote: »
    I thought they only work when dipped (or full beam) lights are on, and considering the car has DRLs then dipped or full beam are normally only used at night.
    Exception being dipped lights used in rain or fog at daying, in which case cornering lights are pointless indeed.

Nope, the Mondeo ones work when the DRLs are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nope, the Mondeo ones work when the DRLs are on.

That's nonsense then.
    No point in those lights unless it's dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've yet to come across a car where the factory fitted foglights are more than a fashion accessory anyway, so turning one on to aid cornering is a bit of a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Alun wrote: »
    I've yet to come across a car where the factory fitted foglights are more than a fashion accessory anyway, so turning one on to aid cornering is a bit of a waste of time.

The placement of the fog lights probably means they won't be very useful on some cars. They're surprisingly useful on my Golf, especially on unlit roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

vectra wrote: »
    @ OP
    Get a modified ELM327 cable on ebay and download Forscan to your laptop, Code out that feature.

I love the way people knowingly say stuff like this and imply that I'd be capable of doing whatever modding without the bloody wheels falling off afterwards…..

A couple of people asked why I care about this when I can't actually see it happening myself from inside the car.

1. I like symmetry in cars. Even knowing this is happening triggers my mini OCD senses

2. I detest the use of fog ights in anything other than...foggy conditions (treading dangerous ground here :))

3. As already indicated, the damn feature works even with only DRLs on

4. I've seen them in action through reflections in the glass windows of shops when turning into parking spaces. Yuerk!!

5. I just hate it, okay :D

I may ask for it to be coded out, there's no way I'll try that myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Just take out the bulbs if it bothers you that much, they make fcek all difference when driving in fog anyway.

It is a simple job to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I guess. It's just that I've managed all these years without them (and have lived in rural Ireland for the past 5 years and never needed them).

Each to their own I suppose, but if there's a way to stop this crap that doesn't involve me having my fog lights on all the time, then I'd like to know.

Don't drive in circles, if you go straight then they don't turn on at all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Don't drive in circles, if you go straight then they don't turn on at all :D

If you go in reverse both come on on some models....

vectra wrote: »
    It is a simple job to be honest.

So is using simple mathematics to calculate the anomalous Zeeman effect... As long as you know how to do that.

Things are only ever simple when you know how ;)

So is using simple mathematics to calculate the anomalous Zeeman effect... As long as you know how to do that.

Things are only ever simple when you know how ;)

Using the latest version of Forscan, it is literally activate or deactivate by ticking an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

A couple of people asked why I care about this when I can't actually see it happening myself from inside the car.

1. I like symmetry in cars. Even knowing this is happening triggers my mini OCD senses

2. I detest the use of fog ights in anything other than...foggy conditions (treading dangerous ground here :))

3. As already indicated, the damn feature works even with only DRLs on

4. I've seen them in action through reflections in the glass windows of shops when turning into parking spaces. Yuerk!!

5. I just hate it, okay :D

May I be the first to point out that you're in the car when this happens so who gives a fup

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

May I be the first to point out that you're in the car when this happens so who gives a fup

Only if you are a time traveller.

The owner gives a fup.
    His choice, I can't see what the negative comments are about . :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i love the corenering lights on my ceed, living in the north west i end up on a lot of unlit roads and standard healights arent often enough to light up the edge of the road so anything that helps that is a win for me.

Advertisement