Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skoda Octavia timing belt

• 04-02-2019 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have a 152 Octavia with 60,000 kms on the clock. Skoda service are saying to get the timing belt replaced. I've heard that this isn't necessary until there's 100,000kms on the clock. Can anyone offer advice on which is correct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Sometimes it is to do with the age of the belt too. So it could be 100,000kms OR every 4 years for replacement.

4-5 years or 60k miles iirc.
    So later this year you are at 4 years anyway.
    You can of course wait until 100k kms if you are so inclined but it'll be a 6 year old piece of rubber by then at your current mileage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

If you Octavia is diesel, the belt on those is every 210k kms with no age limitation. Are you sure you don't have a leaking water pump and they've just advised to do the belt at the same time? That'd be far more popular after 4 years/ 60k kms.

What engine is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gandalfio

If you Octavia is diesel, the belt on those is every 210k kms with no age limitation. Are you sure you don't have a leaking water pump and they've just advised to do the belt at the same time? That'd be far more popular after 4 years/ 60k kms.

What engine is it?

Hi,

It's a 1.6 diesel combi model. They didn't look at the belt nor are there any faults with the car. They just advised to have it replaced now. So I should leave it until 210,000kms?

Yes definitely leave it, it's certainly not due at 3 years/ 60k kms.

That engine isn't prone to breaking belts even when well in excess of 210k kms is covered. I'd definitely put it to the back of my mind.

You'll get opinions that it's too long an interval etc and sure if you're paranoid you can change it every second service for €399 but the recommended 210k kms is fine for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

Replace the timing belt always before the manufacturer suggestion. The manufacturers are interested to selling the new car to you after the 3 years. That is why they suggesting the longer service intervals or even offer the lifetime service intervals. And remember to replace the idler and tensioner rollers too. It does not cost too much to do bit earlier than recommended.

Slightly confused here. On the one hand being advised to change it earlier than the manufacturer recommends, on the other being told to leave it until 210000kms....

If you do not planning to keep the car or does not care about service, keep driving until it runs. The preventive maintenance are always cheaper than deal by junk car. Only keep the records when was something done. I understand every car owner like to save the money. Yes you can, DIY. That way you pay only for parts. Not the rocket science, remove the timing belt cover(s), release the tension, remove old belt, replace the tensioner roller, replace the idler roller, install the new belt, install the covers and basically done. Before the removing an old belt it is good to check the markings, because there can be more than 1 per roller. Several turns and it should match.

I know, most of the "mechanics" starts now the big nose about tensioner roller and idler roller, these are for a life. Yes for life, but that life can be very short. It is the good practice to replace the belt, tensioner roller and idle roller all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

gandalfio wrote: »

What engine is it?

Hi,

It's a 1.6 diesel combi model. They didn't look at the belt nor are there any faults with the car. They just advised to have it replaced now. So I should leave it until 210,000kms?

I've the same engine in a 2011 vw golf, the manual has the same, 210K kms no age limit, got a phone call from vw dealer saying vw have change the recommendation to 5 years or 210K kms, my was 8 years with 140K km done, got it done as I'm unlikely to need to do it again but didn't want to chance it for a few years.

w211 wrote: »
    If you do not planning to keep the car or does not care about service, keep driving until it runs. The preventive maintenance are always cheaper than deal by junk car. Only keep the records when was something done. I understand every car owner like to save the money. Yes you can, DIY. That way you pay only for parts. Not the rocket science, remove the timing belt cover(s), release the tension, remove old belt, replace the tensioner roller, replace the idler roller, install the new belt, install the covers and basically done. Before the removing an old belt it is good to check the markings, because there can be more than 1 per roller. Several turns and it should match.

I know, most of the "mechanics" starts now the big nose about tensioner roller and idler roller, these are for a life. Yes for life, but that life can be very short. It is the good practice to replace the belt, tensioner roller and idle roller all together.

I do plan on keeping the car and want to keep it well maintained. I wouldn't be capable of doing this DIY.

• Advertisement

More like VW dealers changed it to 210k kms or 5 years because they weren't selling enough timing belt deals.

Up to 2011 it used to be 210k kms or 5 years and for 2011 on the age limitation was taken away which had a bit of a knock on for belt sales so most dealers still stick with the "or 5 years" line.

Generally you'll get the coolant pump leaking before 210k kms though which forces a belt change anyway :pac:

Even if you want to do the belt early OP, now is un necessarily early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I agree with the above. There’s no need whatsoever to do the belt this early. They are well capable of doing the 210k km.

I agree with the above. There’s no need whatsoever to do the belt this early. They are well capable of doing the 210k km.

By non intervention engine are easy, if belt breaks then you need only towing and replace the belt. By intervention engines needs towing and the new engine. Typically engine replacement are cheaper because restoration take very long time and cost for you fortune. So think what is cheaper for long run. This is your money and your call.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

George, what's the recommendation when it comes to gearbox oil changes?, I know it's a must for the dsg's, but how about the 5 speed manual, worth getting it changed or better to leave well enough alone?

Never ever trust the "life time" gearbox oil. If it have that label then every 80 000km if there is fully synthetic oil. Otherwise your gearbox life time can be around 100 000, s u c k that life time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

The manual for my 2ltr tdi 184bhp Octavia says the same thing - 210,0000km no time but dealer says 5 years.

Is this accurate ?

It would be a shame to go to that expense if there's no need.

There's no need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

FGR wrote: »
    The manual for my 2ltr tdi 184bhp Octavia says the same thing - 210,0000km no time but dealer says 5 years.

Is this accurate ?

It would be a shame to go to that expense if there's no need.

I was chatting to a friend who is a Skoda mechanic about my superb. He recommended it be done at 5 years irrespective of low mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Shoddy
    Kars
    Of
    Delapidating
    Attrition

I was chatting to a friend who is a Skoda mechanic about my superb. He recommended it be done at 5 years irrespective of low mileage.

What's his justification for saying that though?

• Advertisement

i'd say its cos he knows how ****e they are

DaDumTish wrote: »
    i'd say its cos he knows how ****e they are

They aren't bad at all though. I've never seen one break a belt, even on ones way over mileage. VW get a fair bit of stuff wrong but the belts and belt intervals on the EA189 and EA288 engines are bang on.

I remember working with a Renault dealer a few years back and the 1.5dci by comparison was very fond of a belt, even before the manufacturers intervals you'd see some shredding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Why is it that the timing belt interval on those more modern VAG cars is 120,000 miles but the interval on the older 1.9TDI engines is 60,000 miles?
    Are the more modern belts made of stronger, longer lasting more durable materials?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What's his justification for saying that though?

Wear and tear on a piece of rubber would be my bet. Not to mention aging of the belt, exposure to heat etc.

Wear and tear on a piece of rubber would be my bet. Not to mention aging of the belt, exposure to heat etc.

Maybe he isn't with Skoda long enough to be familiar with them I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The UK dealers recommend after 5 years AFAIK.

They aren't bad at all though. I've never seen one break a belt, even on ones way over mileage. VW get a fair bit of stuff wrong but the belts and belt intervals on the EA189 and EA288 engines are bang on.

I remember working with a Renault dealer a few years back and the 1.5dci by comparison was very fond of a belt, even before the manufacturers intervals you'd see some shredding.

hmmmm....

https://car-recalls.eu/make/skoda/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

DaDumTish wrote: »

Nothing about the belt mentioned though. Honda have twice as many recalls and Toyota have three times as many recalls and they're generally known as the most reliable cars. A lot of them seem to be specific time periods where something was fit incorrectly.

really ?
    jesus , is nothing made properly anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

w211 wrote: »
    Replace the timing belt always before the manufacturer suggestion. The manufacturers are interested to selling the new car to you after the 3 years. That is why they suggesting the longer service intervals or even offer the lifetime service intervals. And remember to replace the idler and tensioner rollers too. It does not cost too much to do bit earlier than recommended.

True, however, they also won't want a recall of cars because of premature timing belt failures.

60k Km does seem very soon for a timing belt replacement. I got the timing belt replaced on my 12 reg 1.6 tdi superb last year, roughly 175k km on the clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

W211 is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pat k

HI Sorry to jump , in here but I had my 1.6 diesel 2016 octavia in for a service today ( usual basic service and 100 point check thingy ) dealer rings me telling me wipers need changing ( no rush on this so I left it for now ) he also mentioned timing belt saying it is advised etc after 5 yrs. I am not so sure now after reading the previous posts but would be grateful for some advise. 2016 octavia with 85,000 km and i do v little driving less than 10k m per year
    thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Surprised the water pump isn't leaking, people seem to think the mileage is more important and if you believe them then wait until you either get the dreaded leaky water pump or the mileage first.

I just changed my 2nd water pump and therefore 2nd cambelt on 150,000 miles yes miles not Km so I reckon your pump will be due soon enough

Sure if it does leak at some stage just get it replaced then. Your post kind of half implies something terrible will happen. Just top up the coolant and book in for a timing belt, if, if it happens. No big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭CoBo55

pat k wrote: »
    HI Sorry to jump , in here but I had my 1.6 diesel 2016 octavia in for a service today ( usual basic service and 100 point check thingy ) dealer rings me telling me wipers need changing ( no rush on this so I left it for now ) he also mentioned timing belt saying it is advised etc after 5 yrs. I am not so sure now after reading the previous posts but would be grateful for some advise. 2016 octavia with 85,000 km and i do v little driving less than 10k m per year
    thanks in advance

Bosch aerotwin, fantastic blades a million times better than what the dealers are selling.

• Advertisement

Skoda wipers are Bosch Aero blades.

Skoda wipers are Bosch Aero blades.

No they aren't they're Valeo and used to be top class quality, they've gone down a lot in quality the last few years and that's coming from a Valeo/oem fanboy. It on a recommendation here that I tried the aerotwin's and I must say they're brilliant. Standard Bosch blades are terrible.

They are definitely Bosch, maybe they didn't used to be. How does the Aerotwin differentiate from a "standard" areo blade?

I thought areotwin was just Bosch's aftermarket marketing spin on the aero style blade which is basically every wiper blade from the last two decades.

They are definitely Bosch, maybe they didn't used to be. How does the Aerotwin differentiate from a "standard" areo blade?

I thought areotwin was just Bosch's aftermarket marketing spin on the aero style blade which is basically every wiper blade from the last two decades.

The last set I got from the dealers were definitely Valeo, the didn't last 6 months, maybe they were old stock or something.
    The aerotwin's are a great wiper they just glide over the windscreen and never make a squeak or judder, they're on the car 6 months now and are a good as new. I tried standard Bosch wipers on another vehicle and they were brilliant but were squeaking and juddering within a few months, I can't stand squeaky wipers:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I recently replaced front and rear wipers on the Golf. It's been around 18 months since the last set I got. Don't know what brand they are but I've honestly had no issues with them. Would probably get a bit more life out of them but I have a habit of using them before icy windows are fully cleared.

All I know is all cars should use the quick release button rather than the clip/hook system, swapping them is a breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Surprised the water pump isn't leaking, people seem to think the mileage is more important and if you believe them then wait until you either get the dreaded leaky water pump or the mileage first.

I just changed my 2nd water pump and therefore 2nd cambelt on 150,000 miles yes miles not Km so I reckon your pump will be due soon enough

A friend got to 190k kms of a 4.5 yr old 1.6 seat toledo before his water pump leaked .
    Originsl water pump and car was bought new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

Sure if it does leak at some stage just get it replaced then. Your post kind of half implies something terrible will happen. Just top up the coolant and book in for a timing belt, if, if it happens. No big deal.

exactly.

Advertisement