Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Multiple issues after NCT

Options
  • 22-08-2018 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Hi All,

My 2010 Corolla just passed the NCT - a few weeks later I brought it to Toyota servicerfor a full service and there was a list of issues a mile long.

- Change manual transmission oil (€80)
    - Replace drive belt (€80)
    - Both front drop links rubber burst (€430)
    - Passenger side driveshaft oil seal leak (€140)
    - Replace brake discs and pads front and rear (readings front pad/shoe 30% disc/drum 80%, and 80% and 70% for the rest) (€600)

Could anyone explain why these wouldn’t appear in NCT test.

Also are these big issues that need replacing ASAP or can I wait a little while?

Thanks for your input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Don't bring a 9 year old car to a main dealer unless it's for a recall or you enjoy being bent over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Most of those issues are just maintenance. The NCT is not a comprehensive test of your whole car, it just ensures it meets a quite low minimum standard

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The NCT just makes sure your car is roadworthy, most items you have listed here are just service items that won't change that. The only thing that is surprising is the suspension issues noted.

Tbh, follow challengemaster's advice and avoid the dealer for this kind of thing. An independent mechanic is what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cars51

I would strongly agree with the other replies.
    If you are driving older cars like I have nearly all of 40 years the best maintenance service is from a small garage or mechanic who operates on his own. It may take time to find the right person, you need to ask people in your area for their experience, of course people that have older cars.
    Don't get disheartened if your first experience of a small garage does not work out well. The best value in cars is in the older cars. Persevere and try to learn along the way and in the long term you will get the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Hi All,

My 2010 Corolla just passed the NCT - a few weeks later I brought it to Toyota servicerfor a full service and there was a list of issues a mile long.

- Replace brake discs and pads front and rear (readings front pad/shoe 30% disc/drum 80%, and 80% and 70% for the rest) (€600)

Also are these big issues that need replacing ASAP or can I wait a little while?

Thanks for your input

Should cost less than 300 to fix these if you did them all yourself. So probably double that if you paid an independent fella to do them.

The only one of those the NCT would really look at is the brake discs and they're probably not that bad if they passed. Maybe the oil leak as well, though not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,274 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hi All,

Also are these big issues that need replacing ASAP or can I wait a little while
    Change manual transmission oil (€80) This would not have anything to do with the test, it's most likely that it's due a change as normal according to the service manual at that mileage. Its a good idea to change the transmission oil in a manual or automatic transmission when it's due.
    - Replace drive belt (€80) If you mean timing belt, that's very important. Give this a priority. If it breaks, it can cause major damage.
    - Both front drop links rubber burst (€430) Normally this would be visible during an NCT inspection,,, and would trigger at best, an advisory, and at worst, a fail.
    - Passenger side driveshaft oil seal leak (€140) I imagine that this is not a very bad leak ( if it was you would see it on the drive way ) it seems to be just a weep. The garage would of course bring it to your attention and quote it in the estimate. It will have to be checked out in any case.
    - Replace brake discs and pads front and rear (readings front pad/shoe 30% disc/drum 80%, and 80% and 70% for the rest) (€600) During the NCT, the brakes are tested on a rolling road, and once they pass NCT brake efficiency test, that's it. If for example, when the tester is driving the car into the test bay, and the pads were badly wore and making a noise, that would be a fail, but they just put it on the rolling road and let the computer do it. The garage would check it out differently, largely by a visual inspection, and worn pads and disks need to be replaced as soon as possible. Its a safety issue.
    As some have already advised here on Boards, find a good independent, and be advised by him /her.
    BTW, what kind of mileage has it done? what kind of engine is in it/ Petrol or diesel? and what is the engine CC?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

430e for two front drop links?? Are they made of gold! Droplinks are at most 40e a pair or am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

jmreire wrote: »
    Change manual transmission oil (€80) This would not have anything to do with the test, it's most likely that it's due a change as normal according to the service manual at that mileage. Its a good idea to change the transmission oil in a manual or automatic transmission when it's due.
    - Replace drive belt (€80) If you mean timing belt, that's very important. Give this a priority. If it breaks, it can cause major damage.
    - Both front drop links rubber burst (€430) Normally this would be visible during an NCT inspection,,, and would trigger at best, an advisory, and at worst, a fail.
    - Passenger side driveshaft oil seal leak (€140) I imagine that this is not a very bad leak ( if it was you would see it on the drive way ) it seems to be just a weep. The garage would of course bring it to your attention and quote it in the estimate. It will have to be checked out in any case.
    - Replace brake discs and pads front and rear (readings front pad/shoe 30% disc/drum 80%, and 80% and 70% for the rest) (€600) During the NCT, the brakes are tested on a rolling road, and once they pass NCT brake efficiency test, that's it. If for example, when the tester is driving the car into the test bay, and the pads were badly wore and making a noise, that would be a fail, but they just put it on the rolling road and let the computer do it. The garage would check it out differently, largely by a visual inspection, and worn pads and disks need to be replaced as soon as possible. Its a safety issue.
    As some have already advised here on Boards, find a good independent, and be advised by him /her.
    BTW, what kind of mileage has it done? what kind of engine is in it/ Petrol or diesel? and what is the engine CC?

Thanks for all the replies. It’s a 1.4 petrol with 115000 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

"Replace drive belt (€80) If you mean timing belt, that's very important. Give this a priority. If it breaks, it can cause major damage."
    If a main dealer is doing timing belts for 80 quid,sign me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi All,

Thanks for your input

Apart from the oil leak they are all wear items and need replacing. The thing is that they won't have all failed at the same time or if they did you are extremely unlucky. You thread title should be 'Poorly maintained car has loads of work required after proper service inspection".

Who has been doing the servicing before because they should have checked these things? A lot of places only do fluids during a service, and usually with the wrong type, while you'll pay for a proper service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

WTF???
    €1,430 for an oil change, discs & pads, drop links ? Replace 'drive belt" for €80????!!!
    The only things that may have shown up on the test would be the drop links and brakes., the rest are service items.
    The price you have been quoted is ludicrous even for a main stealer.
    Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

vandriver wrote: »
    "Replace drive belt (€80) If you mean timing belt, that's very important. Give this a priority. If it breaks, it can cause major damage."

Drive belt is the altenator belt. 30 for parts 50 for labour.

Dirty bastards didnt even use lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

vandriver wrote: »

These have a timing chain

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's a auxiliary belt I'm sure.

Op why as mentioned go main dealer for such an old car out of warranty.

Go to a local independent garage.

See if anyone can recommend and go from there.

You will be hit with hige labour costs in a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Del2005 wrote: »
    Apart from the oil leak they are all wear items and need replacing. The thing is that they won't have all failed at the same time or if they did you are extremely unlucky. You thread title should be 'Poorly maintained car has loads of work required after proper service inspection".

Who has been doing the servicing before because they should have checked these things? A lot of places only do fluids during a service, and usually with the wrong type, while you'll pay for a proper service.

Thanks for all the replies. I have the car 4 years and brought it to the main dealer for the service once a year. This is the first time I've had any issues apart from new tyres one year.

I agree with you bringing it to a main dealer is not needed - it's just I don't know any mechanic or independent. If anyone could PM me a recommendation for someone in south Dublin sandyford area that would be great.

I'm definitely not going to get them fixed in this place because obviously they are charging way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks for all the replies. I have the car 4 years and brought it to the main dealer for the service once a year. This is the first time I've had any issues apart from new tyres one year.

I agree with you bringing it to a main dealer is not needed - it's just I don't know any mechanic or independent. If anyone could PM me a recommendation for someone in south Dublin sandyford area that would be great.

I'm definitely not going to get them fixed in this place because obviously they are charging way too much.

Please don't use a main dealer for tyres either.

I have a mechanic I use but he is over a walkinstown.

For tyres you can use the likes of oponeo or eiretyres etc and get fitted.
    Jimbis on here can even call out to your house or work to fit them for you I have used his service a few times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Kealy motors and sandyford tyre centre both get good reviews on google.

Advertisement