Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What parts are worth trying to sell from scrap car

Options
  • 21-08-2018 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

I saw KKV's update on his thread and I was thinking if I had a car to scrap, what parts would be worth salvaging to sell on before scrapping the car. They would need to be in good condition, easy to remove, in demand second-hand and easy to store until sold.

A scrapyard will only pay for the scrap metal anyway so it might be a way to get some more value from a scrap car.

Lights
    Window Regulators
    Doors
    Seats
    Mirrors

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wheels

The rest depends on what car it is.

I scrapped a rare car for parts years ago and sold the wings, bonnet, headlights, tail lights, boot door, doors/glass, shocks, engine and gearbox, rear wishbones and some interior trim that’s prone to breaking on that model.
    A lot of the rest of it was impossible to shift. Grand if you have the space but it takes a long time to completely strip a car. I enjoyed it anyway and it gave me a better understanding of that particular car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I had a 99 Hyundai Accent sitting in the field... it even started and ran... Metal man got it because it just wasn't worth the hassle for that car. Something with higher demand for parts might be worth it, but only might...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭blackbox

db wrote: »
    I saw KKV's update on his thread and I was thinking if I had a car to scrap, what parts would be worth salvaging to sell on before scrapping the car. They would need to be in good condition, easy to remove, in demand second-hand and easy to store until sold.

A scrapyard will only pay for the scrap metal anyway so it might be a way to get some more value from a scrap car.

Lights
    Window Regulators
    Doors
    Seats
    Mirrors

Add to that list:

Brake calipers
    Bumpers
    Steering rack & pump
    Exhaust incl cat
    Alternator
    Starter

• Registered Users Posts: 81,406 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Depends on the car really, if the majority of the particular model of car left on the road is worth sweet feck all to begin with you are not going to have people interested in buying parts for any worthwhile amount of money, nobody is going to spend €100 on a headlight for a €500 car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

None. Think of the cranks, weirdos and arseholes selling a car draws in. Now you're multiplying that by about 20 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

None. Think of the cranks, weirdos and arseholes selling a car draws in. Now you're multiplying that by about 20 :)

I can think of it now.

"Do you have the thing under the cover behind the pipe between the engine and front of the car"

"You want HOW MUCH?? €5???? Sure I can get an alternator from the dealership for €4"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Yeah I'd agree. You could write a list of 3-400 items you "could" sell, from bulbs to, seats, to a gearbox but in reality there is no market for pretty much any parts from any reasonably popular make and model. The trade already have their go to breakers and anyone who finds you on donedeal will want the engine for €2.47 and after you remove it they won't show up to collect it or return your calls.

Just let it go would be the best advice IMO. If wheels and tyres are the same size fitment as your new car then maybe consider keeping those for yourself but that's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Lets admit it though its something we'd all love to do if we had the space to store it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lets admit it though its something we'd all love to do if we had the space to store it all.

I like messing in engines and I don't mind people in general. But once you start selling something you see the worse of people and it's not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

You would be best trying to sell off on ebay or the likes

Or you could do what I do and trade within a closed circle where we drive similar cars with similar interests

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The car should have a fanbase or at least not be in the valley (12-18 years). You can always put it up one donedeal for breaking and if you get wahs looking to buy some part that takes half an hour to remove for a fiver just ignore them

Small light parts that you can't get from the motorfactors should sell on ebay put on a 30-day buy it now or best offer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭db

Small light parts that you can't get from the motorfactors should sell on ebay put on a 30-day buy it now or best offer

This is what I'd be thinking - are there enough smaller parts like lights, mirrors, window regulators etc that would be easy to remove and could be sold for €30-€50 each to maximise how much you could get for scrapping a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You still haven't said what Car it is.
    If you tell us what you have I'm sure people could let you know what particular parts break/give trouble, and let you decide what to take off it and sell.

Advertisement