Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Good car mechanic?

Options
  • 01-07-2018 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi Members,
    Can you please suggest me a good car mechanic / garage near city center who doesn't break the bank.
    Actually under 5 km from city center also works for me.
    I own Opel Astra 1.4 petrol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Which city?

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Jesky25 wrote: »
    Hi Members,
    Can you please suggest me a good car mechanic / garage near city center who doesn't break the bank.
    Actually under 5 km from city center also works for me.
    I own Opel Astra 1.4 petrol.

Also depends on what work you want to get done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

biko wrote: »
    Which city?

Spot the Corkonian/Galwegian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Good mechanics aren't cheap, cheap mechanics aren't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Good mechanics aren't cheap, cheap mechanics aren't good.

As they saying goes. “ u pay peanuts u get monkeys “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Circling back to this I see from a previous post user mentions wheel balancing in Drumcondra.

OP, is this thread about that issue too, or do you need a mech for something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

kealys sandyford. or dave curry's in Rathgar

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jesky25

Guys, I live in IFSC Dublin 1 and looking for the good mechanic in terms of general car servicing etc. I got my car serviced from 2 different reputed garages but not happy with it.

The work I want to done could be service, balancing or even car clutch is on the way. I don't mind travel bit for a good garage or mechanic

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emy

Guys, I live in IFSC Dublin 1 and looking for the good mechanic in terms of general car servicing etc. I got my car serviced from 2 different reputed garages but not happy with it.

The work I want to done could be service, balancing or even car clutch is on the way. I don't mind travel bit for a good garage or mechanic

Is not easy to find a dedicated mechanic, to be a pleasure for him to do a job, for most of them, it is just another car waiting outside to be serviced...
    I have tried a few of them, 90% were useless. These mechanics were recommended.
    If you leave the care to be serviced, take some photos of it, you might get it back worse.
    One mechanic said "the more cars I fix the more money I get"....for this reason he forgot to tighten some hoses, oil over the place, the front bumper wrong mounted, broke a fog light and headlight washer....
    The most surprising "mechanic" I came across, was the one that he did not know how to reverse out the car. I was inside with him, instead of reversing it just a few meters, he turned the car in very tight place...I was speechless... Servicing the car is quite easy.
    Personally I got all the tools and do most of the jobs by myself, if I do not know something I have to go to an experienced mechanic, I have no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Try SDP Motors in Arbour Hill - https://www.goldenpages.ie/s-d-p-motors-dublin-D7/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I'd highly recommend Kelly's Garage in Dublin 6, I've been going to them for about 4 years now, they don't rub it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jesky25

Thanks guys, i appreciate your replies. Will definitely check the above garage you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Galadriel wrote: »
    I'd highly recommend Kelly's Garage in Dublin 6, I've been going to them for about 4 years now, they don't rub it in.

I've been to them twice and havn't had an issue other than thinking it was a little pricey.. Recently read the google reviews though and a few of them are scathing. Anyone have any issues with this garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

accensi0n wrote: »
    I've been to them twice and havn't had an issue other than thinking it was a little pricey.. Recently read the google reviews though and a few of them are scathing. Anyone have any issues with this garage?

I've recommended it to a few colleagues and friends and they've all been happy with the service. I honestly think the prices are very reasonable compared to other local garages in the area that I have been too. Maybe there's cheaper places out there but are they as good?

Edit: just read that review on google, that doesn't sound right, they've never even put a wiper blade on my car without ringing me first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Then you get a big bill from him to put right all the bits you 'fixed'

The sooner this industry gets regulated the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

accensi0n wrote:

Anybody can write a review on any business for any reason!!!

Advertisement