Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Totally useless Toyota Face Down app

• 08-08-2017 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭

hi

After hearing the add on radio i downloaded and installed the "Face Down App". When you start the app it tells you to "turn off Bluetooth on your phone".

Now to me that doesn't make any sense at all. So for all those of us you have Bluetooth car kits/Radios installed we have to disable them in order to gain points from Toyota ???. :confused::confused::confused:

So what happens when a call comes in do we just ignore it or pick up ( I know I know its illegal ) but thats what the App seems to want the user to do.

The whole point of Bluetooth radios is to allow the user to receive calls

Whats your thoughts

totally confused by a good idea poorly implemented

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'll have to go back and check but IIRC talking on a hands free is also a significant risk factor despite not holding the phone. Maybe they want you to fully ignore it until the end of the journey?

One snippet:
    In the case of a mobile phone
    conversation, the other person is generally not even aware that his/her conversation partner is
    driving, (Dragutinovic & Twisk, 2005). In a study in 2005 it was found that the normal
    conversations with a passenger were suppressed on the most demanding urban roads, for both
    driver and passenger. On the other hand, the mobile phone conversation prevented
    suppression from occurring in the passengers’ conversations and even encouraged drivers to make more utterances that they would normally do in a normal passenger conversation
    (Crundall, Bains, Chapman, & Underwood, 2005).

Also
    Fiona O'Sullivan
    Screen stays on so drains the battery. Also, don't like you need internet to finish the journey, we have no signal at home so can't collect points for homeward journeys.

Very limiting requirements right there.

Toyota shouldn't need to do the Gardais job for them. This is from Surrey Police, they park a truck up with a camera in the passenger seat, catch drivers with zero effort. "#OpTramline".

DGt9sUpXoAMpKXp.jpg:small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

v240gltse wrote: »
    hi

After hearing the add on radio i downloaded and installed the "Face Down App". When you start the app it tells you to "turn off Bluetooth on your phone".

Now to me that doesn't make any sense at all. So for all those of us you have Bluetooth car kits/Radios installed we have to disable them in order to gain points from Toyota ???. :confused::confused::confused:

So what happens when a call comes in do we just ignore it or pick up ( I know I know its illegal ) but thats what the App seems to want the user to do.

The whole point of Bluetooth radios is to allow the user to receive calls

Whats your thoughts

totally confused by a good idea poorly implemented

The scientific research suggest that it is not using phone with your hand, but having any phone conversation is what reduces the concentration levels.

To answer the next question: no, conversion with other passengers does not have similar effect...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

grogi wrote: »
    The scientific research suggest that it is not using phone with your hand, but having a phone conversation that reduces the concentration levels.

And no, conversion with other passengers does not have similar effect...
    Inclined to agree, the number of journeys I've made without knowing how I got there while taking on the phone is scarry!
    I generally don't do it anymore.

Inclined to agree, the number of journeys I've made without knowing how I got there while taking on the phone is scarry!
    I generally don't do it anymore.

Same here. The only calls I make these days are 'I will be there in five minutes... See you'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

grogi wrote: »

To answer the next question: no, conversion with other passengers does not have similar effect...

Unless they are children!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Maybe it's just me but I thought I noticed a significant decrease in people using phones while driving over the past 12 months or so. I'm living in Limerick and around the city & suburbs every day and I definitely think people are beginning to cop on a bit with their phone/driving habits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

ED E wrote: »
    Toyota shouldn't need to do the Gardais job for them. This is from Surrey Police, they park a truck up with a camera in the passenger seat, catch drivers with zero effort. "#OpTramline".

Always wondered why this isn't done more.

I always said, if every Guard car had a good quality dash cam, they could simply look back at the footage and catch dozens of people using phones.

I see an endless stream of people on phones each and every day. People simply can't put them down, bluetooth or not.

Nothing would make you change your attitude like 3pts coming through your door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

NIMAN wrote: »
    Nothing would make you change your attitude like 3pts coming through your door.

I don't know if three points are enough. I know people and they they've got caught on the phone and they still constantly use the phone.
    I think 6 point might work better.
    I know nurses, firemen etc who would all be well used to dealing with bad accidents on the road and they all happily use their phone and communicate with their family when they know their driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I don't know if three points are enough. I know people and they they've got caught on the phone and they still constantly use the phone.
    I think 6 point might work better.
    I know nurses, firemen etc who would all be well used to dealing with bad accidents on the road and they all happily use their phone and communicate with their family when they know their driving.

Since the law enforcement officers are the biggest offenders it's no wonder that the average person continues to use their phone. The Gardaí might be exempt from the legal implications but they aren't exempt from the law of nature, especially with the chronic lack of advanced driver training in the force and not using a phone while driving would be one of the first things though in advanced driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

Hi

I take your point but why not just call it what it is " DONT" use you phone at all in a car rather than this underhand way and not telling the user that they will not be able to receive calls at all ?.

Surely the sudden phone ringing and not been answered by the radio/media system austomatically could lead to someone being distracted and actually causing an accident ??

I'll have to go back and check but IIRC talking on a hands free is also a significant risk factor despite not holding the phone. Maybe they want you to fully ignore it until the end of the journey?

v240gltse wrote: »
    Hi

I take your point but why not just call it what it is " DONT" use you phone at all in a car rather than this underhand way and not telling the user that they will not be able to receive calls at all ?.

Surely the sudden phone ringing and not been answered by the radio/media system austomatically could lead to someone being distracted and actually causing an accident ??

Mute it completely, you will not know that someone was calling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Comhra wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I thought I noticed a significant decrease in people using phones while driving over the past 12 months or so. I'm living in Limerick and around the city & suburbs every day and I definitely think people are beginning to cop on a bit with their phone/driving habits.

Not seeing that on the likes of the M50, M7/N7 and around Dublin generally. In fact it seems to be worse here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I never use my phone in the car, it never leaves my bag.

So I thought the app was great, but I'd have to take out my phone and face it down to earn points.

Totally defeats the purpose. Google maps knows when the phone is in a moving car, you should just get points for not using your phone during this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'd rather not have a company record all my gps data so that they can sell it on, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Surely sat navs are just as dangerous? Yet all the car companies are promoting then.

Surely sat navs are just as dangerous? Yet all the car companies are promoting then.

Sparse audio queues and a bidirectional communication are two very very different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I use bluetooth to play music :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Would people still not habitually be looking at the screen?
    I don't drive but it's just something I've always wondered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i put mine on airplane mode so i can listen to music off it and not hear any calls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

earn points on my phone, while doing the browsing with my ipad
    win win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Caliden wrote: »
    I'd rather not have a company record all my gps data so that they can sell it on, thanks.

Are you having an affair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I don't use this app myself but I've heard that even the movement of the car can make the app think you're picking up your phone. Think they use the accelerometer rather than the proximity sensor.

Oh, and I'm seeing a lot of people on their phones on the road these days. They should increase the fine and points again. And if caught a second time, a 3 month driving ban.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Caliden wrote: »
    A number of privacy professionals have been running a cart and horse through Toyota's privacy and data protection policies for this app on Twitter over the last while.

To say they're lacking would be kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

All well and good the people saying just dont use the phone while driving, but what if your job IS driving and your phone is a key tool in bringing in business.

Yes, Ill be honest my concentration isnt 100% when im talking on the phone and driving (i use a headset or car kit) but i literally wouldnt get work done without using the phone while driving.
    But how many other factors effect concentration? Kids in the back, Music blaring, yapping to your passenger, rubbernecking etc etc. There are so many distractions out there for drivers other than talking on the phone.

I think the real factor is texting/facebook/snapchat etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Jimbis

Please take your place in the firing line

I'll stand beside you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

jimbis wrote: »
    ....but what if your job IS driving...how many other factors effect concentration? Kids in the back, Music blaring, yapping to your passenger, rubbernecking etc etc. ...

What exactly is your job to have all these distractions and to HAVE to use a phone at the same time as all of the above.

Sparse audio queues and a bidirectional communication are two very very different things.

Unless they are on your phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

hi robbo

where can i get more info on this ?
    Robbo wrote: »
    A number of privacy professionals have been running a cart and horse through Toyota's privacy and data protection policies for this app on Twitter over the last while.

To say they're lacking would be kind.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    What exactly is your job to have all these distractions and to HAVE to use a phone at the same time as all of the above.

Did I say i have to use my phone while having all these other distractions? No i didnt, i was merely giving some examples of other distractions that occur while driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

But how many other factors effect concentration? Kids in the back, Music blaring, yapping to your passenger, rubbernecking etc etc. There are so many distractions out there for drivers other than talking on the phone.
    There's been research done that indicates that talking to someone on the phone, regardless of whether a hands free device is being used, IS different, in terms of the degree to which you're distracted, to talking to a passenger in the car with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Do ye all realise the bonus is a cup of Topaz sh1te coffee....

Alun wrote: »
    There's been research done that indicates that talking to someone on the phone, regardless of whether a hands free device is being used, IS different, in terms of the degree to which you're distracted, to talking to a passenger in the car with you.

Totally agree with that. I'm not saying that some of these examples are worse, the same or not as bad as talking on the phone I'm just giving examples of distraction that's all.
    As I said already in my opinion the worst culprit in bad driving from distraction is from people texting, face booking etc, even people watching tv on their phone. I see it so much on the road and its lethal.

9/10 people I see wandering all over the road and dangerous driving are simply talking on the phone either in hand or not.

I'm sure there are people knitting and shaving while playing an Xbox but the are the minority.

Many of the "professional drivers" are the worst at it. Swinging one handed around corners across the centre line with one hand clamped to their ear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

beauf wrote: »

Many of the "professional drivers" are the worst at it. Swinging one handed around corners across the centre line with one hand clamped to their ear.

You should sit with me for a day and witness some scary **** from other drivers!:D

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    You should sit with me for a day and witness some scary **** from other drivers!:D

Stand on any corner in Dublin and you'll see it almost every change of the lights.

Its become normal behavior now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

DGt9sUpXoAMpKXp.jpg:small

That is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I dont listen to radio, I have it set up as soon as car starts the phone will start playing podcast

So automatically it is useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

All well and good the people saying just dont use the phone while driving, but what if your job IS driving and your phone is a key tool in bringing in business.

Yes, Ill be honest my concentration isnt 100% when im talking on the phone and driving (i use a headset or car kit) but i literally wouldnt get work done without using the phone while driving.

I dunno.. I think it's more down to some drivers not being able to have a phone call (via car kit) without it dramatically impacting their ability to drive assuming that this is universal - in the same way that people dawdling on the motorway assume that anyone who can comfortably go faster is a "speeding maniac"

I would take/make calls on occasion but if anything I'll often have to ask someone to repeat something as I tend to tune them out when something noticeable on the road catches my attention. But I do 90% motorway driving so I'll grant you, it's not the same as a built up urban area at rush hour.

Everyone is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I dunno.. I think it's more down to some drivers not being able to have a phone call (via car kit) without it dramatically impacting their ability to drive assuming that this is universal

Or maybe you over-estimate your ability to drive while on the phone or while speeding?

Nah, couldn't be that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I was going to install this until I heard people saying a rough bump will make the app think you're using the phone. Also the screen stays on the whole time wasting battery?

I don't mind that it takes 350KM to get a free coffee, that's a few quid for free. Better than nothing!

Only problem is my phone is setup to automatically play Spotify when connected to Bluetooth so it's useless then :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So will Toyota stop fitting Bluetooth now?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Truckermal wrote: »
    Do ye all realise the bonus is a cup of Topaz sh1te coffee....

Is this the only "reward"? Are there people out there that actually go "hhhhhmmmm, I think I'll head out for a petrol station coffee"? I doubt it. I've only ever had a petrol station coffee reluctantly. Need a perk, nowhere else to go, petrol station it is. Grin and bear it.
    If I'd points collected for this they may never be redeemed.
    A few quid of the price of a full tank of diesel, that I'd use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 citroen

I see a problem with the rewards, are people claiming that drinking coffee while you’re driving is less dangerous than using Bluetooth? The reward coffee can be claimed in a petrol station, where most people take it away to be drunk in the car. I know cup holders are fitted in cars, so you’d imagine it’s not dangerous, but it must be. Bluetooth is fitted too so should that be ok?
    Another thing, I use the app and one out of four journeys I make, I get a message saying” it looks like you’ve interacted with your phone. You could have earned x points”. This happens when I definitely have not interacted with my phone, unless hitting a bump or pothole causes it to think I’ve moved it.

Not that I would even dream of downloading a nonsense app like that but its still a joke. Not having access to your phone during a journey in this day and age is simply not on for most people (and certainly not for me anyway). I use it for sat nav, to play music from spotify and I usually make loads of calls or save up any long ones where I'd be on hold etc for when I'm driving (on handsfree of course) as it passes the time.

Not to mention that apple carplay and android auto etc are going to be pretty much standard in every car soon allowing even more interaction with the phone. Toyota are kidding themselves if they think people are going to use this app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

Has anyone managed to get a free hot drink?
    Tried a few topaz but all said only restore do it which is a bummer because none really were I go past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

honda boi wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to get a free hot drink?
    Tried a few topaz but all said only restore do it which is a bummer because none really were I go past.

Yep I've had loads of free drinks, doing over 1000kms a week. Usually get it in topaz on the Waterford road in kilkenny over at the deli section where someone makes it for you. As for quality, I love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Downloaded this two days ago and already have over 900 points on it

(Long distance bus driver so no chance of even glancing at the phone)

So topaz coffee I don't mind , but more rewards would be nice !!

Also keeping the screen on even though the phone is face down is rather annoying for battery life and also screen temp. (Some screens can imprint an image if on too long ?)

But I've had no issues with it thinking I'm picking up phone due to bumps etc. It's being pretty smooth for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭honda boi

Yep I've had loads of free drinks, doing over 1000kms a week. Usually get it in topaz on the Waterford road in kilkenny over at the deli section where someone makes it for you. As for quality, I love it.

Is that restore or a centra/londis kinda shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Also keeping the screen on even though the phone is face down is rather annoying for battery life and also screen temp. (Some screens can imprint an image if on too long ?)

Screens imprinting an image is something very specific to OLED screens. It's not necessarily heat, but leaving the screen on and static for prolonged periods would be cause for concern. It all depends on the screen/phone, some are worse for it than others. But most phones are not OLED, so it might not be a problem at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement