Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for a 17 year old on fathers name?

Options
  • 13-03-2014 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Okay so I've done most of my lessons. I have a Volkswagen Bora 1.4 petrol. I'm just wondering where would be a good place to get insured. I've around 1,500€ to spend on insurance. Would I be able to get insured on the Bora under my dads name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You can get insured as a named driver on your father's insurance. However finding an insurer who will do that for an unqualified driver may be a problem. And your 1500 yoyos may not be enough either. Sorry for the negative tone of my post, but you may be better off waiting till you get a full licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Might caused raised eyebrows if your Da has another car with insurance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Insurance companies seem to be pricing policies based on the highest risk driver these days, so I'm not sure having it in your father's name will make much difference.

Either way, 17 year old, unlicensed and on that car you are going to find it very hard to come under budget for insurance im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

2 years ago I named my then 17year old son on my insurance policy driving a 1.4 skoda octavia. Total €1140 for the year with Axa. He had just acquired his learner permit with no lessons done.
    Got the full licence in his first year and it dropped to €765 the next year.

Advertisement