Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it possible to declare off road a car recently acquired?

Options
  • 15-02-2014 7:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

tell them your repairing it,are you buying it from a dealer

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

More than halfway through February now. You can't get it done retrospectively anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Is there a time limit? how long to get the documents from the dept of transport?
    Its always going to be retrospective if the tax is already or just out of date, so how do you get around that if you dont want to tax it yourself?
    Assume this means it can have been on the road in between place of sale and place it will now be kept? assuming they are not the same (in some cases).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

10 days from purchase to declare off road.
    He will now have to tax it for Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

mickdw wrote: »
    10 days from purchase to declare off road.
    He will now have to tax it for Feb.

Even more.
    If 10 days passed since transaction, he will have to pay tax for February, March and April (minimum of 3 months), and only then in April he can declare car off the road from 1st May.

However if 10 days didn't pass yet, he can declare it off the road from date of purchase without paying anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CiniO wrote: »
    Even more.
    If 10 days passed since transaction, he will have to pay tax for February, March and April (minimum of 3 months), and only then in April he can declare car off the road from 1st May.

However if 10 days didn't pass yet, he can declare it off the road from date of purchase without paying anything.

What is deemed the date of the transaction - the date the change of ownership is done ? I bought a car February 1st, but problems with log book meant the change only got done today. ...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    What is deemed the date of the transaction - the date the change of ownership is done ? I bought a car February 1st, but problems with log book meant the change only got done today. ...

Date of transaction is the date when seller sold the car to the buyer.
    This date should be indicated on back of logbook when both parties sign it during changing ownership, and this is the date which will be noted on new owner's logbook as date of sale. New owner becomes registered owner of the vehicle on that date.
    And obviously this is the date from which you have 10 days to declare car off the road.

What stops you from submitting a declaration (RF150) before change of ownership is registered with shannon and new VRC is issued into new onwers name?

• Advertisement

Did you try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It has been tried before by a few people. Tax office will reject it as you are not the recorded registered owner. I have seen the letters back from the tax office.
    Well I would do it anyway within the time period and at least you can show you did all you could and that the system is at fault. Then let them either recognise 10 days from processing/ date sent out or else allow the original of road declaration be processed.
    You have to wonder who comes up with this stuff.

CiniO wrote: »
    Date of transaction is the date when seller sold the car to the buyer.
    This date should be indicated on back of logbook when both parties sign it during changing ownership, and this is the date which will be noted on new owner's logbook as date of sale. New owner becomes registered owner of the vehicle on that date.
    And obviously this is the date from which you have 10 days to declare car off the road.

done online by dealer - no form to sign.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Update for all as of today...

1. You can't SORD it until it's in your name on the NVDF, period. I tried 3 times.
    2. The online system for SORD is not working.
    3. I received a tax renewal form for January. .. For a car bought in February. On same day as VLC arrived. Curious, that.
    4. Date of sale and date of filing on NVDF differed by 15 days on the VLC .
    5. Date of filing on NVDF allowed me to SORD car on the spot today. Painless, took 30 seconds, CoCo staff most friendly and helpful (including on the phone on advance).
    6. DTTAS staff in Shannon helpful on the phone too.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    2. The online system for SORD is not working.

Worked for me in November. I declared car off the road online from 1st Dec.
    I went now in March to motor tax office to tax it, and there was no problems surprisingly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement