Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid Drivers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Silvera

And don't forget about your cars' blind spots !

A guy I once worked with, who had been driving for over 10 years (I had been driving a few years at the time), tried to convince me that there is no such thing as 'blind spots' on a car :rolleyes:

.......and he considered himself to be a good driver :D

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by BrianD3
    OK then. I also take the point about the 1 litre car. But if you think a 1 litre car is bad for overtaking, try driving from Dublin to Galway in an articulated truck with a speed limiter. This makes overtaking very tricky indeed. It can take a truck the best part of a mile to overtake another vehicle if that vehicle is going a few mph less than the truck driver wants to go.

If a truck driver is trying to do that all for the sake of a few mph then he's not a very good truck driver IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Originally posted by NeRb666
    If a truck driver is trying to do that all for the sake of a few mph then he's not a very good truck driver IMO.

Eh in a word... No.

There are lots of people who seem to struggle through life with an overwhelming fear of velocity.
    They'll do 45mph on that big long stretch of open road but when there's a corner in sight, they drop down below 20mph.

Consider a truck driver has to get to someplace before a certain time and most likely has to pull some unholy manouvers to fit his truck into some tight spot in a rural village that happens to be in the way (Thomastown for anyone who's familiar with the N9, Waterford to Dublin).

Overtaking a car thats doing 45mph in a truck thats supposed to be limited to 50mph makes for a very long, drawn out overtaking manouver.

My own personal pet hate is drivers who only have one speed. Coming back from Dublin the other day and driving through Carlow was a car that passed me doing about 45mph in a 30mph zone. Got out on to the main road and I caught up with it .. still doing 45mph in a NSL zone. Obviously he just felt the karma was "right" at this speed and didnt want to change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by dogs
    My own personal pet hate is drivers who only have one speed. Coming back from Dublin the other day and driving through Carlow was a car that passed me doing about 45mph in a 30mph zone. Got out on to the main road and I caught up with it .. still doing 45mph in a NSL zone. Obviously he just felt the karma was "right" at this speed and didnt want to change it.
    lmao, driving up and down the N81 every day, it was the inconsistent ones who used to really piss me off. Hit a corner, slow to 20mph, out of the corner, very slowly, and very carefully accelerate up to 60mph on the next straight, and as soon as the next corner came into view, remove foot from accelerator, and spend the next 500 metres slowing gradually to 20mph again, and so on and so on, on long straights, ping-ponging between 40 and 60 mph for no apparent reason whatsover. Any attempts to overtake are met with acceleration, and a refusal to move over. ****s.

It's even more annoying because between Baltinglass and Tallaght, there's no need for any kind of braking on the N81.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by dogs
    Eh in a word... No.

There are lots of people who seem to struggle through life with an overwhelming fear of velocity.
    They'll do 45mph on that big long stretch of open road but when there's a corner in sight, they drop down below 20mph.

Consider a truck driver has to get to someplace before a certain time and most likely has to pull some unholy manouvers to fit his truck into some tight spot in a rural village that happens to be in the way (Thomastown for anyone who's familiar with the N9, Waterford to Dublin).

Overtaking a car thats doing 45mph in a truck thats supposed to be limited to 50mph makes for a very long, drawn out overtaking manouver.

I have an overwhelming fear of a truck driving on the wrong side of the road for over a mile. Especially if I'm driving towards one.
    If someone is driving at 45mph it's of no concern to me. Neither is a truck drivers' deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Re: lights

Saw a muppet pull out of a driveway without his lights this evening as I walked passed - I pointed to his lights and got a thumbs up. Others would give you the finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Originally posted by Doctor J
    It's dangerous because someone further up the queue might have overtaking in mind too and won't see you in their mirrors until you've pulled out, no matter whether you indicate or not (and vice versa).

If your going to overtake or if your turning right your supposed to check your wing mirrors to make sure no one is overtaking before you pull across, its perfectly easy to see a car overtaking before you pull out in your wing mirror.

so if someone has a more powerfull car or see an opportunity to overtake before you then you have to let them by before overtaking yourself.

Dont know how many times i've seen a car overtaking and some idiot pulls out in front of him/her without checking there mirrors!

Anyway was coming up the naas road last week and just after the lights at the red cow roundabout theres a slip road off to the left for goin north on the m50, well some women had seen the sign, completely stopped on the furthest lane away and then pulled across all the lanes and stopped in the left lane and waited to be let into the flow of traffic goin down the slip road! couldnt believe it!
    if she had to just go straight she still could have just taken the first exit off the roundabout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by draffodx
    so if someone has a more powerfull car or see an opportunity to overtake before you then you have to let them by before overtaking yourself.

Dont know how many times i've seen a car overtaking and some idiot pulls out in front of him/her without checking there mirrors!

That thought occured to me last night on the way home, caught up with 3 cars trailing a BIG YELLOW BLOB which as we all know can do no more than 35-40 mph, as I was further back I looked ahead into the dark, saw nothing comming, indicated and hit the loud pedal hoping everyone else had seen me...

Mike.

Advertisement