Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

English registered car in Ireland

Options
  • 10-11-2003 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

If I buy and register a car in england, under a english UK residence and with UK plates, how long can I drive the car in Ireland before I have to register it as an irish car.

Bearing in mind I'd try to keep the car registered under a UK address.

Is there any law concerning this?

This is not an Insurance question, it is a car registration question. I'm allowed to drive a UK insured car in Ireland for an unlimited period with Direct line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I believe that it is against the law for a holder of an Irish driving licence to drive a UK reg car for more than a few days after importation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This is something the customs are very hot on. If you are just visiting and have a UK licence then you are fine for 6 months.

If you are trying to pull a fast one and you are living here then expect an early morning wake up call from Customs & Excise. They will seize the car and make you pay all the VRT plus you could face prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Unless, you (not the car) have to have been a bona fidae foreign resident for more than 6 months (they have many ways of checking up), you must register the car and pay VRT by the day after importation.

If you have been a bona fidae foreign resident for more than 6 months, I understand you can keep the car in country for up to 3 months before re-registering (no VRT).

Advertisement