Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Irish law on welded diffs.

Options
  • 21-07-2019 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Anyone know the actual law or garda regulations on cars with welded diffs? Are they completely illegal or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 El Nacho

If you look at this page by the RSA they say Permanently locking a differential by welding or other means has a dangerous effect on the handling of a vehicle , from that I would think it will fail an NCT.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Consultations/consultation%20on%20vehicle%20modifications%20-%20feb%202013.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Just fit a 2 way to the car

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

El Nacho wrote: »
    If you look at this page by the RSA they say Permanently locking a differential by welding or other means has a dangerous effect on the handling of a vehicle , from that I would think it will fail an NCT.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Consultations/consultation%20on%20vehicle%20modifications%20-%20feb%202013.pdf

Cars with welded diffs have passed NCTs.
    Not that that means much as they don’t test the car while it’s turning.

colm_mcm wrote: »

perhaps not, but they do check the brakes, surely that'd highlight trouble at the rear end if they are out of balance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

El Nacho wrote: »
    colm_mcm wrote: »

perhaps not, but they do check the brakes, surely that'd highlight trouble at the rear end if they are out of balance?

If the diff was welded, would the balance not register as perfect?

• Advertisement

9935452 wrote: »
    If the diff was welded, would the balance not register as perfect?

I'm not 100% sure how the NCT does it, but when I lived in the UK they tested both sides independently on the rollers.

From my understanding if the diff isn't sufficiently opened it could be thrown out of the rollers. It happened with LSDs so I imagine it could easily happen to a welded diff.

It would occur when the side with the worse brakes wants to slip before the harder locked side. The mismatch in braking torque across the axle would cause the skip

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why in the name of Jesus would you want to take a welded diff yoke onto the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I can't imagine you would be able to get insurance on a car with welded diff anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

mickdw wrote: »
    Why in the name of Jesus would you want to take a welded diff yoke onto the road?

Because drift car

Advertisement