Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that I'm not buying

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,730 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's not 2 years though, is it? 4-4.5 years means another EUR4k or so in motor tax. Unless you put it in storage, which for most of us is expensive too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

unkel wrote: »
    It's not 2 years though, is it? 4-4.5 years means another EUR4k or so in motor tax. Unless you put it in storage, which for most of us is expensive too.
    Yes that's true, if you are calculating it for 4 years, but my point is based only on 2 years motoring tax inclusive for less €2500, is not bad going. And if you were happy with it, then extend it year by year until vintage tax kicks in. Still reasonable priced motoring for 4 years. Sure you can get cars with less tax, but higher purchase price, so it's swings and roundabouts, except that this is a Mercedes, and a good one. Friend of mine has one of them, 1.8 petrol. It's a 1995 model, and he has had it since 2000,only thing that went in was the handbrake cable. He has mega miles done in it, and its his daily driver. So a great car to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1988-toyota-supra-3-0i-vintage56-road-tax/22425185

NTc2YTI5MmQ0ZTRkOGJhNzAwMTkyYTY2YWM5ZTEyMjm4v51Ro9quVDX6SkWZysSyaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg0OTY4MTN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

I have a massive soft spot for these

Classic tax, 12 months NCT, €4795

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

woejus wrote: »
    This car belongs to a relation of mine, inherited it as part of an estate, new NCT (12th June) and drives well.

Really don't want to see it going to the crusher as it's decent, 5 years away from the holy grail of €56 tax. Not the most appealing merc I know.

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1994-merc-c220-elegance-auto-new-nct-08-20/22013303

Lovely machines, I saw C220 and was all over it, until I remembered there was also a c220 petrol. (if it was the diesel I'd have it in a heartbeat)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/1988-toyota-supra-3-0i-vintage56-road-tax/22425185
    I have a massive soft spot for these

Classic tax, 12 months NCT, €4795
    That looks great for under 5k.

A rare classic ad with a valid NCT. Those seats look so comfy. Velour!

Dades wrote: »

I swapped mine (not near as clean as the above obviously) for a Ssangyong Rodius!

The seats are indeed very comfy. Probably the best I’ve ever sat in. They would make a great office chair if they weren’t so bulky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Dades wrote: »

I swapped mine (not near as clean as the above obviously) for a Ssangyong Rodius!

The seats are indeed very comfy. Probably the best I’ve ever sat in. They would make a great office chair if they weren’t so bulky
    How can you live with yourself?

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/reliant-scimitar/22397279

OGY4MzQxNTQ1OTJiNjIyNGQ1NWQ0ZmZlM2M5Y2Q4MDA1Ze5hmOLzQPzgYq5ciPURaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgyODc3NTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is a good price for one of these if its as good as the photos suggest (€3750)

Those seats look superb!

kev1.3s wrote: »
    How can you live with yourself?

I know, I know

But in them days (2015 I think..) nobody wanted a 3.0i automatic guzzler, and I had a man paying very good money for Rextons for export..so it was a no brainer really

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/reliant-scimitar/22397279

OGY4MzQxNTQ1OTJiNjIyNGQ1NWQ0ZmZlM2M5Y2Q4MDA1Ze5hmOLzQPzgYq5ciPURaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgyODc3NTh8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

This is a good price for one of these if its as good as the photos suggest (€3750)

Those seats look superb!

Princess Magaret ( RIP) had a Scimitar, if I remember rightly, and so they had Royal Patronage. ( doubt that the one in the pic is it though...... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

That interior is a thing of beauty.

Didn't one of the regulars in here put up his Scimitar for sale recently? For very reasonable money too iirc. And it wasn't white :pac: What happened it, did it sell?

Yeah, a green one for 3k. It needed a bit of work though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭supervento

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

supervento wrote: »

The other one he has is the 2.5 in far better condition.. looks clean. 20k

I'm sure it's been on the thread already though

• Advertisement

Kamili wrote: »
    The other one he has is the 2.5 in far better condition.. looks clean. 20k

I'm sure it's been on the thread already though

yes thats right, i think that has been posted alright, he had a lovely looking e34 too, 535i manual for €14k but the ad is gone for it..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

jmreire wrote: »
    Princess Magaret ( RIP) had a Scimitar, if I remember rightly, and so they had Royal Patronage. ( doubt that the one in the pic is it though...... :)

It was Princess Anne that had over the years eight(?) of them.

NP_RY040.jpg
    db_6_large_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

True, but if the alternative is to buy a car, which may involve finance or using your savings, then the Merc is quid's ahead already as it's already 'bought & paid for', so there is no monthly payment, nor affecting your savings which you retain.

There are worse ways to spend money I'm thinking.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

I am having BIG problems with Done Deal yesterday & to-day. When I go into the vintage section, I can only get 6/7 cars up. I cant bump up my own Ads. Is anyone else having problems with this site? ALL advice appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

mattroche wrote: »
    I am having BIG problems with Done Deal yesterday & to-day. When I go into the vintage section, I can only get 6/7 cars up. I cant bump up my own Ads. Is anyone else having problems with this site? ALL advice appreciated.

nope, working fine here

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »

True, but if the alternative is to buy a car, which may involve finance or using your savings, then the Merc is quid's ahead already as it's already 'bought & paid for', so there is no monthly payment, nor affecting your savings which you retain.

There are worse ways to spend money I'm thinking.

I hear what you're saying but for EUR5k you can get a car in better condition than that one, that's already on vintage tax. Unless of course you are keen on this particular model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

mattroche wrote: »

Yes Im suffering the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

elperello wrote: »

First time I've ever seen a Q Reg. Ha. Clearly the definition of Qcar that.

elperello wrote: »

I rather like that!

Those seats are wonderful!!

Unusual color combo... very plush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,603 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Those seats are wonderful!!

Like an old fashioned cinema :).
    Nice car for the money.

supervento wrote: »
    Unusual color combo... very plush

They look like they belong in something older, a W123 or 116 etc

• Advertisement

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/hillman-superminx-1966-1725cc-13700-miles-/22472025?campaign=3

MGNkZmJhZDhhZDgzNGRjNTg4NGM4OTdiM2Q5MzhjY2WXiNSTObxAV2LA6IkQ-RHUaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg4NTQzMDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

ZDhjMWVjM2ZmZmM1NTRkNGUxMzM3ZjgwNzQ0YTc4NmRdMYhVe5rhMiqs2aHzeUeIaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg4NTQzMTF8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

If old timers like this are your thing, this looks like a nice tidy thing for the money at €4500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Peter T

Worth it for the novelty alone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

For nuttin' at €15k. Just needs a bit of a wash :rolleyes:

http://classiccarsales.ie/ads/bmw-320i-e-30-4-door/

emeldc wrote: »

Surely must be a typo.... €5250 would even be a lot from looking at the photos...

Where has that been hiding for the last 39 years?

Where has that been hiding for the last 39 years?

It was on donedeal last year for €700! And it looked very similar then to now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

My Dad bought an Audi 80L 1.3 new in UK for £1800 in 1975

• Advertisement

It was on donedeal last year for €700! And it looked very similar then to now!

I'd have lapped then if I'd seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

You missed dreamer of the year mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Njc1Nzc4Njg5NGM3OWQ0OTcyNzJlZTVkNTg4YWFmNGa4uYpmG8E83F0D9SIMIZFkaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjgwNDAyNDd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Had to be trailered to the photoshoot.....doesn't bode well.:D
    Or is that a boat trailer?

Probably completely rotted. Did it ever even pass an NCT? Worth no more than a 3 figure sum in my book. Cool car in its day though, I remember the dad of my German holiday pal driving his (bright red) hard (red line in every gear) yet competently and safely in northern Italy in the early 80s, the short gear stick in particular stood out to me. But it hasn't aged well. It's successor has done far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Probably completely rotted. Did it ever even pass an NCT? Worth no more than a 3 figure sum in my book. Cool car in its day though, I remember the dad of my German holiday pal driving his (bright red) hard (red line in every gear) yet competently and safely in northern Italy in the early 80s, the short gear stick in particular stood out to me. But it hasn't aged well. It's successor has done far better.

We used to go door to door selling for a fella in the late 80s who had a 5 cylinder one in dark brown metallic. It was a whore to go with 5 in the car and a full boot. Much quicker than a newish Maza 626 1.8 at the time which his mate drove.

The m50 had only opened at the time. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭KevRossi

One year away from cheap tax, looks OK, I like the interior. ex-UK with plenty of extras so might have been pulling a caravan for a while. Future classic all the same, highly useable as a daily as well.

760, 2.3l petrol, auto, 11/19, €2500

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1990-volvo-760-2-3-turbo-estate/22486960

ZDA1NjBmMTU3YzIzMTMyMGZjNTE1ODY2YmZhNTIxOGGYD46czKskgv478OeunUBiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg5NDcyODN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NGQ1ODUxNmU5NWVkNmFlM2I1N2M3ZjViMzJmMDQ3ZDQGZizIE7ObZ83H4sJ9TbgiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg5NDcyODl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Advertisement

macplaxton wrote: »
    It was Princess Anne that had over the years eight(?) of them.

NP_RY040.jpg
    db_6_large_1.jpg

Yes you are right...I get mixed up in my Royal's from time to time....:D:D:D

For that kind of asking price...and he could not even be bothered to make it look a bit more presentable??? :confused:

pablo128 wrote: »
    We used to go door to door selling for a fella in the late 80s who had a 5 cylinder one in dark brown metallic. It was a whore to go with 5 in the car and a full boot. Much quicker than a newish Maza 626 1.8 at the time which his mate drove.

The m50 had only opened at the time. Good times.

That would have been the Audi 80 Quattro...they were fitted with the 5 Cylinder 2.3 ltr engine...it produced 130 BHP. Not surprised she could move...was some car though.:)

KevRossi wrote: »
    One year away from cheap tax, looks OK, I like the interior. ex-UK with plenty of extras so might have been pulling a caravan for a while. Future classic all the same, highly useable as a daily as well.

760, 2.3l petrol, auto, 11/19, €2500

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1990-volvo-760-2-3-turbo-estate/22486960

ZDA1NjBmMTU3YzIzMTMyMGZjNTE1ODY2YmZhNTIxOGGYD46czKskgv478OeunUBiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg5NDcyODN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

NGQ1ODUxNmU5NWVkNmFlM2I1N2M3ZjViMzJmMDQ3ZDQGZizIE7ObZ83H4sJ9TbgiaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMjg5NDcyODl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Very nice find!

But wasn't the 760 a normally breathing V6 (PRV) about 2.7-2.8l? Not a 2.3l turbo 4 pot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Very nice find!

But wasn't the 760 a normally breathing V6 (PRV) about 2.7-2.8l? Not a 2.3l turbo 4 pot?
    The 760 had engines between 2.3 and 2.8 (V6). It was a more luxurious model than the 740, which was lower equipped and with engines from 2.0 to 2.3 litre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement