Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mileage

Options
  • 18-06-2019 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭

A bugbear of mine but cars for sale and mileage quoted. Do you think people get caught out as 100k miles sounds much better than 160k km. Even jap imports which are in km seem to have mileage quoted. Deane motors has an alfa at moment with km clocks and it's converted to miles on ad.
    Or is it buyer beware??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Its absolutely buyers choice..I always sell my wifes old car with miles CLEARLY advertised as yes it looks better than putting up the kilometers..
    Theres nothing wrong with this once you convert correctly anyone buying can simply google 130k miles back to km that's not in any way being fraudulent by the seller...also any northern Ireland or uk seller will definitely quote miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

It would be even better looking to advertise car's mileage in nautical miles or even better in leagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

CiniO wrote: »
    It would be even better looking to advertise car's mileage in nautical miles or even better in leagues.

For all the heed I pay to mileage they could advertise how many hectares she's covered and how much kerosene she used to cover them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

CiniO wrote: »

while they are at it just bring it back to feet and inches

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭kaahooters

my car gets 40 rods to the hogs head and thats the way i likes it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

kaahooters wrote: »
    my car gets 40 rods to the hogs head and thats the way i likes it

That's 512 gallons to the mile, wtf are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Prefer hours myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Spook_ie wrote: »
    That's 512 gallons to the mile, wtf are you in?

Don’t understand that. Is that good or bad. What’s that in l/100km

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's fair enough advertising in miles.

Now converting 320k km to 200k miles and then sticking a km after the lower figure is pure scumbag behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭finbarrk

TheDriver wrote: »
    A bugbear of mine but cars for sale and mileage quoted. Do you think people get caught out as 100k miles sounds much better than 160k km. Even jap imports which are in km seem to have mileage quoted. Deane motors has an alfa at moment with km clocks and it's converted to miles on ad.
    Or is it buyer beware??

Agree with you. Its a bit underhand. Buyer beware is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭corks finest

Or is it buyer beware??
    Buyer beware obviously, FFS anyone buying a car that doesn't spot that is on trouble as that's the first thing plus service history I look at and amount of previous owners ( not being a smart arse)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Its absolutely buyers choice..I always sell my wifes old car with miles CLEARLY advertised as yes it looks better than putting up the kilometers.....
    How on earth does it look better? It just makes the seller look shifty and people like me move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

How on earth does it look better? It just makes the seller look shifty and people like me move on.

How? Just state mileage or kilometerage in ad, their choice, my car's odometer is in miles, hence any ad would be in miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bladespin wrote: »
    How? Just state mileage or kilometerage in ad, their choice, my car's odometer is in miles, hence any ad would be in miles.
    I was referring to adverts where a seller puts the odometer reading in miles even though it's recorded in KM's.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Or is it buyer beware??

We have been using km for long enough in their place,yet insurance companies, when doing up quotations still use miles for anual usage. WTF !

Advertisement