Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just rear-ended another car

• 19-06-2019 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi, looking for advice. Was just at a junction turning left behind another car turning left. Orange flashing light. No oncoming traffic. Car in front starts to pull out. I move slightly forward following suit. Still no oncoming traffic. Car in front suddenly slams on brakes. I rear-end their car.

Minimal damage to my car (2018). Small damage to their back bumper (2010). Swapped details. Noticed theirs was L plate car (however, that could be from their children?).

Driver said they are going on holidays tomorrow for a week. And may be in contact after that. Said they Might go to garage for Quote. Said may or may not be in contact.

Please advise how I should proceed. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Any particular reason given for suddenly slamming on the brakes?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Sono

you may have collided with someone genuine who won’t feign injuries for such a minor tip or you may be very unlucky and collide with someone who sees the money signs and wants someone to pay for their holiday.

They have 2 years to make an injury claim but fingers crossed if they aren’t injured they don’t let on that they are and take you to the cleaners.

If it’s a very minor tip the insurance company may defend if there is an injury claim.

In short there is nothing really for you to do except notify your insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

My partner said I should have asked them. Tbh, I just wanted to swap details with no conversation as I was pissed off as new I would be blamed irregardless...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭norabattie

Be happy that they might NOT be in contact. If you hit him from behind then I'm afraid you'll get landed with the bill either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    My partner said I should have asked them. Tbh, I just wanted to swap details with no conversation as I was pissed off as new I would be blamed irregardless...

Ye were both right.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Sono wrote: »
    you may have collided with someone genuine who won’t feign injuries for such a minor tip or you may be very unlucky and collide with someone who sees the money signs and wants someone to pay for their holiday.

They have 2 years to make an injury claim but fingers crossed if they aren’t injured they don’t let on that they are and take you to the cleaners.

If it’s a very minor tip the insurance company may defend if there is an injury claim.

In short there is nothing really for you to do except notify your insurance company.

Yes this is what I’m worried about.

So I need to tell my insurance company even if I want to pay for drivers cosmetic damage myself? Do I need to tell Garda?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

You should notify your insurance really just in case the guy you ran into decides to claim for more than the damage to his car. It is a difficult choice because if his damage costs a small amount maybe you would want to pay direct without having insurance involved. He may well report to his insurance giving your details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It's a rear ender, you'll be held liable. Report it to your insurers and leave it to them. Hopefully, the other party is is reasonable and repairs will be the end of the matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Just make sure and notify your insurance company ASAP and hope for the best. If they get a quote to fix the car I would advise paying for this yourself if it’s not very expensive

Just make sure and notify your insurance company ASAP and hope for the best. If they get a quote to fix the car I would advise paying for this yourself if it’s not very expensive

Yes this is what I hope to do. If I notify my insurance company tomorrow morning and the other driver submits a claim... will I still have the option to pay myself if not too expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

You're meant to tell your own insurance company. I'll let others comment whether that's a good idea.

Other than that, just wait and see.
    Don't admit liability (you've kind of already done that by telling the guy to get a quote, and well you did drive into the back of them)

Be particularly careful if you decide not to go through the insurance. Even if you pay to repair the car, what's to stop him claiming off your insurance for personal injury? Paying for the car is also seen as admitting liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Sono

Yes this is what I’m worried about.

So I need to tell my insurance company even if I want to pay for drivers cosmetic damage myself? Do I need to tell Garda?

Thanks

Notify your insurance company, Gardai couldn’t give 2 ****es about it tbh.

If you report it to your insurance company and they inspect both vehicles in their damaged state it gives them the opportunity to decide whether they wish to defend any personal injury claim which may come down the line.

Any minors in the other vehicle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Yes this is what I hope to do. If I notify my insurance company tomorrow morning and the other driver submits a claim... will I still have the option to pay myself if not too expensive?

Yes you will. However, if you become unreasonable with the 3rd party, he can insist on dealing with your insurers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You must contact your insurance....

It's quite possible you've been caught for a crash for cash....

These are set ups where under circumstances exactly like you say and likes of roundabouts where they move off and nothing else on the road and plant on the brakes....

Get a dash cam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Doesn't make a blind bit of difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Doesn't make a blind bit of difference

Agreed.. it's very easy to assume another car is going to go because the road is clear. The trick is not to drive into them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Best rule is count to 2 let the other go and always keep a distance....

Treat it like a stop sign so be prepared to stop yourself.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

antix80 wrote: »
    You're meant to tell your own insurance company. I'll let others comment whether that's a good idea.

Other than that, just wait and see.
    Don't admit liability (you've kind of already done that by telling the guy to get a quote, and well you did drive into the back of them)

Be particularly careful if you decide not to go through the insurance. Even if you pay to repair the car, what's to stop him claiming off your insurance for personal injury? Paying for the car is also seen as admitting liability.

It will be a condition of every policy that you inform your insurer of every incident that could lead to a claim.

Given the current "money for nothing" claims environment you would be nuts not to inform your insurer to cover yourself imho.

You can always buy the claim off them if the third party turns out to be a decent skin.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I hit the back of a car before Christmas at walking speed.
    No damage or anything and the other driver confirmed at the time that all was well and to forget about it. Wished me a Merry Christmas.
    I didn't take any pics or insurance details because I didn't want them to start doing the same.

A month later the prick went to the gardai to get my details and subsequently lobbed in a personal injury claim, which I know is them simply cashing in.
    The vehicle assessor examined the scene and my car and is in agreement that it looks like a scam claim.
    The insurance company are going to vigorously defend it.

@OP - you can't assume that you've heard the end of it unfortunately. Tell your insurance company. Write everything down before you forget it.

Advertisement