Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Audi A4 gearbox dilemma

• 16-10-2018 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

My 2009 Audi A4 B8 Avant 2.0 TDI is currently sitting in the garage. It just passed the 250,000km milestone on Saturday. 
    Had to have it towed yesterday. I thought the clutch was gone. After investigation the garage have said it's the gearbox. Waiting to hear back on the cost of a replacement. I've had the car nearly 5 years and this is the first thing to go wrong with it. There was no warning signs that I was aware of. 

I am changing this car in the next 2-3 months (either trade in or sell privately) because I have to buy a 7-seater with no.3 on the way. It's just really bad timing that this has happened. 

Is it worth repairing if the gearbox needs to be replaced and I'm planning to change soon?
    If it's not fixed is it worth anything as scrap or for parts (it's in good condition otherwise, FSH etc beside the not moving anymore)?

I've a feeling I'm just going to have to take this one on the chin. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd source a second hand gearbox from a breakers and then move it on. If you plan to keep it longer then get a reconditioned gearbox. It is seriously worth less now with a knackered gearbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

That is one nasty gearbox job to do. Replaced a clutch on one recently. Wouldn’t really be jumping out of my skin to do another. But if I was u I’d get a second hand box and fit it. Just beware the cost will mount up. Because I doubt there’s a garage that will remove the gearbox to fit another without doing the clutch. And if u do the clutch then at that mileage u will have to do the flywheel. So it does add up but it owes you nothing at that mileage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Stick it up for sale the way it is
    A mechanic will buy the car the way it is and do the work to make a few Bob
    If you have no interest to keep it,get rid.you got 5 hassle free years,just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I'd sell it as is, 10 year old car as far as I'm concerned, knowing Audi prices it's going to cost a fortune to put a gearbox into that. I'd sell as is or scrap it for parts. you had a good run with it getting 5 years trouble free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Pm me a price if your interested in selling it?
    A mate of mine might buy it to fix it up
    Up to yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

firstlight wrote: »
    Pm me a price if your interested in selling it?
    A mate of mine might buy it to fix it up
    Up to yourself

Thanks for the responses.

Got the car back from the mechanic on Tuesday. It's driving better than it has done in the last 18 months.

Issue was with the left drive shaft that connects to the gearbox. The hole where the driveshaft enters the gearbox had expanded (don't know why, possibly driveshaft bearing going and soft aluminium gearbox case). They searched for a 2nd hand gearbox but couldn't find a decent one. So they sent the gearbox case off to some engineering company to fix, new driveshaft bearing and clutch release, some seals replaced and gearbox oil. Clutch and flywheel were in good nick. Took just over a week to fix.

She's running like a dream now. Clutch is a lot lighter as well as steering. Noise from the engine area is also a lot quieter and seems to be pulling better.

So now just need to sell it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Would you not keep it as a second car since you've spent money on it, if your OH doesn't have a car?

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    Would you not keep it as a second car since you've spent money on it, if your OH doesn't have a car?

OH has a lovely 1.6l petrol 2011 Ford Focus that she would never give up. I wouldn't expect her to either. She only travels about 3km to work so suits her perfectly.

Drove Cork > Letterkenny > Cork over the long weekend, with a packed Audi, and it drove perfectly. Didn't miss a beat all the way. At least I know it's fixed properly anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭staples7

neddynasty wrote: »
    OH has a lovely 1.6l petrol 2011 Ford Focus that she would never give up. I wouldn't expect her to either. She only travels about 3km to work so suits her perfectly.

Drove Cork > Letterkenny > Cork over the long weekend, with a packed Audi, and it drove perfectly. Didn't miss a beat all the way. At least I know it's fixed properly anyway.

Just wondering how the gearbox held up, I have a similar issue with a 2010 :-(

staples7 wrote: »
    Just wondering how the gearbox held up, I have a similar issue with a 2010 :-(

I held on to it until the first week of December and then replaced it with a 7 seater due to new baby on the way. If that event wasn't happening i'd have held on to it. It was running perfectly fine for 8 weeks after it was repaired.

• Advertisement
Advertisement