Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speeding Ticket

• 23-01-2019 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, I am new to boards.ie, don't know if it's the right section for this thread, i was stopped by guards few days ago on n4, so i pulled over and guards who were basically undercover guards told me, that i was speeding, i asked them how much over i was, at which they responded that you will ticket with our speed matched to your speed, my question is how this work, can you be issued a ticket for speeding with out using proper equipment(speed gun or camera) and at the end of the conversation guards told me that they will not issue ticket for speeding they will issue ticket for some thing else which i don't remember at the moment. so does this happen to some body else before as it's very confusing. Any response will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

Can you remember anything about the Garda? Who he said he was? Station he belongs to or anything?
    I would approach your local station and seek clarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Were you speeding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

newcomer87 wrote: »
    Hi all, I am new to boards.ie, don't know if it's the right section for this thread, i was stopped by guards few days ago on n4, so i pulled over and guards who were basically undercover guards told me, that i was speeding, i asked them how much over i was, at which they responded that you will ticket with our speed matched to your speed, my question is how this work, can you be issued a ticket for speeding with out using proper equipment(speed gun or camera) and at the end of the conversation guards told me that they will not issue ticket for speeding they will issue ticket for some thing else which i don't remember at the moment. so does this happen to some body else before as it's very confusing. Any response will be appreciated.

Well if guards were traveling behind you and they were over the speed limit then yes you can be finded for speeding.
    But it sounds like they are going to fine you for maybe dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 newcomer87

actually they were undercover guards and i didn't take there details, but what i am confused about is to prove that i was speeding don't they need any kind of solid proof and secondly if they stop me for speeding they should fine me for speeding not for some thing else. Upon asking them for proof they told me that they will match there speed with my car speed my question is how when they never use speed cam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can be convicted on the word of a Garda that you were speeding and even if they use equipment there's no requirement for it to be functioning correctly.

First thing to do is bring all your documents to your local station and present them, ask for a PULSE receipt. Then you just have to wait and see what comes through the letter box.

• Advertisement

yeah waiting for few days now so fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭davegilly

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can be convicted on the word of a Garda that you were speeding and even if they use equipment there's no requirement for it to be functioning correctly.

This can’t be right surely?

What if you were doing 40kph in a 50kph zone but the guards not functioning correctly speedometer says you were doing 120kph, you are jailed?

Nah, I think you might be wrong here. Any half decent solicitor would tear the guards asunder in court if the unit they were using wasn’t 100% calibrated and functioning correctly.

davegilly wrote: »

What if you were doing 40kph in a 50kph zone but the guards not functioning correctly speedometer says you were doing 120kph, you are jailed?

Nah, I think you might be wrong here. Any half decent solicitor would tear the guards asunder in court if the unit they were using wasn’t 100% calibrated and functioning correctly.

that's true because its our right to ask for proof which they couldn't even produce and then they wanna charge for some other offence, utter madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

First thing to do is bring all your documents to your local station and present them, ask for a PULSE receipt. Then you just have to wait and see what comes through the letter box.

Why would the OP do this? There is no mention of being requested to produce any documentation or nominate a garda station for doing so in the original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

:D:D

• Advertisement

that's true because its our right to ask for proof which they couldn't even produce and then they wanna charge for some other offence, utter madness

The proof could be no more than the garda's expert opinion.

I have seen a heavy goods vehicle driver convicted for driving an overloaded vehicle based on no more than the prosecuting garda's opinion, even though there was a weighbridge about a mile away which could have provided positive proof one way or another.

Having said that, running to your local station to produce documents which you never mention having been asked to produce whoul be an overreaction.

I'd just wait and see if any summons arrives in the post. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing came of it.

that's what i am hoping at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭klm1

Sounds to me like the Garda realised you weren't just going to accept the speeding ticket and realised he would have to produce evidence to do you for speeding. So he backed up a bit and decided to do you for 'driving with undue care and attention' or 'driving recklessly', either of which he can do you for without having to provide proof. His word is enough for either of these offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Were they actually Gardai?

TCM wrote: »

yeah they were as they were in uniforms but had undercover car

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭banana_bear

newcomer87 wrote:
    secondly if they stop me for speeding they should fine me for speeding not for some thing else.

What kind of logic is this? If they stop you for speeding and it turns out you don't have a valid driving license or no insurance, do you also expect them to not charge you on that?

TCM wrote: »

yeah they were as they were in uniform.

What kind of logic is this? If they stop you for speeding and it turns out you don't have a valid driving license or no insurance, do you also expect them to not charge you on that?

well if they stop you for speeding means you were speeding according to the them. so how come they change there stance and charge you for some thing else which you didn't commit.

Why would the OP do this? There is no mention of being requested to produce any documentation or nominate a garda station for doing so in the original post.

Because once the Garda enters the details into PULSE the OP will get a summons for no insurance if they don't produce.

davegilly wrote: »

The statute states that the equipment doesn't have to be calibrated or functioning correctly, too many solicitors got people off due to the equipment not being used correctly so they removed the need for it to be used correctly.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/105/enacted/en/html

• Advertisement

Because once the Garda enters the details into PULSE the OP will get a summons for no insurance if they don't produce.

Jesus, more nonsense.

emeldc wrote: »
    Jesus, more nonsense.

have insurance and NCT full license holder so no issues about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The statute states that the equipment doesn't have to be calibrated or functioning correctly, too many solicitors got people off due to the equipment not being used correctly so they removed the need for it to be used correctly.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/105/enacted/en/html

Wow, we really need more oversight of the guards if this is the case.

Jesus, more nonsense.

Search this site for people getting summonsed for no insurance after they get stopped by the Gardai, some even after showing the documents at the time, and see what nonsense I'm posting. A few minutes in the Garda station can save a day in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Stopped on the N4 just before Christmas doing 130 in the 80 zone. Marked garda car with a single garda in it. No camera on front that I could see (ANPR, SPEED etc.). Checked licence insurance which i had on my and the discs in the window were all good.

He tried on numerous occasions to get me to admit the speed I was going to which i just responded the speed limit. Said to keep the speed down and take it easy over Christmas.

Talking to a mate whos a garda and turns out since he was on his own it wouldn't hold up in court if i pled not guilty at the initial summons so its not worth his time. Learn somthing new everyday

That's assuming they enter any details into PULSE in the first place.

Search this site for people getting summonsed for no insurance after they get stopped by the Gardai, some even after showing the documents at the time, and see what nonsense I'm posting. A few minutes in the Garda station can save a day in court.
    If you’re asked to produce you have to nominate a particular Garda station so that the guard can check up on it. If you’re not asked how will he know where to check. Your post above it just highlighting the incompetence of some of them. I’m not a Garda basher by any means and they have a tough number but there are a few that are utterly useless.

Stopped on the N4 just before Christmas doing 130 in the 80 zone. Marked garda car with a single garda in it. No camera on front that I could see (ANPR, SPEED etc.). Checked licence insurance which i had on my and the discs in the window were all good.

He tried on numerous occasions to get me to admit the speed I was going to which i just responded the speed limit. Said to keep the speed down and take it easy over Christmas.

Talking to a mate whos a garda and turns out since he was on his own it wouldn't hold up in court if i pled not guilty at the initial summons so its not worth his time. Learn somthing new everyday

in my case there were two guards in the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,818 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You wont be convicted for speeding anyway,

They need proof in court went to court 15 years ago for speeding (young fool) myself and it was throw out as the Garda never out down Mph or Kph after the speed, Judge said they where wasting his time ,and yes I was speeding ,

If they didn't give you a ticket for anything else there and then you will be fine , there just making you aware that you can be caught ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its SOP for the UK forces to clock time to pass two points on the in car CCTV (doesnt have to be ANPR) camera. If they can show you pass sign X at time one and sign Y at time two then they've got ya as its a known distance. Alternatively they can match you and use that video as evidence.

The member doesnt have to give you the docket at the road side, FCPN comes in the post. Wait and see.

PS: They arent undercover if they're wearing their goddamn uniforms.

If you’re asked to produce you have to nominate a particular Garda station so that the guard can check up on it. If you’re not asked how will he know where to check. Your post above it just highlighting the incompetence of some of them. I’m not a Garda basher by any means and they have a tough number but there are a few that are utterly useless.

They check PULSE to see if you produced so it doesn't matter where you produce, it's about the only useful thing PULSE does.

ED E wrote: »
    Its SOP for the UK forces to clock time to pass two points on the in car CCTV (doesnt have to be ANPR) camera. If they can show you pass sign X at time one and sign Y at time two then they've got ya as its a known distance. Alternatively they can match you and use that video as evidence.

The member doesnt have to give you the docket at the road side, FCPN comes in the post. Wait and see.

PS: They arent undercover if they're wearing their goddamn uniforms.

yeah meant to say inner cover car, i know about in UK they clock time not sure about this SOP in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement