Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repair or sell? - Man maths involved!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Reason every sod drives a BMW is causes they are great driving cars, most other cars dont compare, and once you taste that BMW magic its hard drive anything else. Regroup....and get a 335i....now thats a proper engine and seriously cheap.

Meh. I like cars. I like all kinds of cars. But I have to be honest and claim no BMW I've driven, bar a friends M135i , has done anything for me. I certainly didn't get the Ultimate Driving thing so many espouse

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

galwaytt wrote: »
    Meh. I like cars. I like all kinds of cars. But I have to be honest and claim no BMW I've driven, bar a friends M135i , has done anything for me. I certainly didn't get the Ultimate Driving thing so many espouse

I don't think they are the ultimate driving machine by any means. But the combination of factors below are certainly more interesting and appealing to me than many other cars on the market and in the same pricing bracket.
    • RWD
    • Sport Styling
    • Interior quality - once some options have been ticked

There's an M135i around the corner from home a lot. Absolutely beautiful machine. I've yet to finance a car, much prefer to save and buy it outright but that has had me looking up PCP, loans and all sorts recently!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I don't think they are the ultimate driving machine by any means. But the combination of factors below are certainly more interesting and appealing to me than many other cars on the market and in the same pricing bracket.
    • RWD
    • Sport Styling
    • Interior quality - once some options have been ticked

There's an M135i around the corner from home a lot. Absolutely beautiful machine. I've yet to finance a car, much prefer to save and buy it outright but that has had me looking up PCP, loans and all sorts recently!!

I always wonder about the whole RWD thing. I've owned loads of rwd cars, and lots of sports cars, rwd, fwd, and awd, and I honestly doubt that 99% of people who drive a modern car, with traction control etc. would notice the difference between fwd and rwd in normal driving on a public road. I know every poster on here will claim they will, but I wonder. As for sports styling (?) and interior quality, I wouldn't put BMW above or below any of the other premium brands in those. I think if you like BMW, it's more likely to be because of the brand image (this is why I like Mercs, and I'm not afraid to admit it!), and there is nothing wrong with that - to me BMW have a great brand image, but for some reason BMW drivers can never seem to admit that.

So....I bought the car back today. Collecting next weekend. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Unreal.
    Hope it goes well for you this time.

• Advertisement

Yeah, the E46 really wasn't doing it for me anymore I've driven a few cars but really wasn't warming to anything so threw a text to the guy I sold it to, made him an offer and sent a deposit before I really had too much time to think myself out of it. S

She has a fresh NCT, 4 new tyres, resprayed front bumper and new injectors. Still less than 70km on her. Man maths indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd say the current owner was rather surprised by the offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

`congrats...how did the deal happen was it for sale again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Some twist :)

At least it is fixed now and ready to go!

Always nice to buy a new car :)

`congrats...how did the deal happen was it for sale again?

Nope, I spent another evening looking at auction sites and carzone, then spotted that I still had the keyring from the old car on my current keys, shot him a text and made him an offer. It's fixed, I'll take a little hit but f**k it, there's a reason I bought it day one!

It was actually a second / third car for the guy I sold / bought it to / from so he's not too worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Excellent, welcome back to the club :cool:

commited wrote: »
    Holy crap, thread delivers in less than 12hours. Was coming on here to offer to help, I've replaced N53&N54 injectors before and it's a really easy job to do - this could have been done for less than €500. If they're already "11" index injectors then you would only need to replace 1 injector (but I've not heard of these failing). The latest design of injector has an excellent reputation, same for the latest revision of HPFP.

Huge pity to see you make a knee jerk reaction in less than 12 hours like this with a car you obviously liked and any car you buy now may throw up a big bill!

PM Sent. (It was only a matter of time!!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just saw this. A very belated Yay! :) Not often you get a second chance like that, don't let it go this time. Congrats. Dammit I have something in my eye. :D
    They're also a very adaptable car that "fits" everyone and everywhere. They appeal to both the youngfella and the oulfella. You can stick an 18 year old playing "banging tunes" or a 75 year old listening to Lyric FM, man or woman in a Beemer and it doesn't look "wrong". A Golf is similar, as are Mercs(though they're a little more "middle aged"). Plus they won't freak out suburban neighbours. On the other and extreme hand the current Honda Civic R has an extremely narrow driver profile and will have the neighbours tut tutting and questioning your sanity. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

My injectors are fine but HPFP went since the last post :pac:

Nixonbot wrote: »
    My injectors are fine but HPFP went since the last post :pac:

Ooof, what were the symptoms and if it's not opening too deep a wound can you share how much it cost to set right?

PM if you prefer!

Wibbs wrote: »
    Just saw this. A very belated Yay! :) Not often you get a second chance like that, don't let it go this time. Congrats. Dammit I have something in my eye. :D

They're also a very adaptable car that "fits" everyone and everywhere. They appeal to both the youngfella and the oulfella. You can stick an 18 year old playing "banging tunes" or a 75 year old listening to Lyric FM, man or woman in a Beemer and it doesn't look "wrong". A Golf is similar, as are Mercs(though they're a little more "middle aged"). Plus they won't freak out suburban neighbours. On the other and extreme hand the current Honda Civic R has an extremely narrow driver profile and will have the neighbours tut tutting and questioning your sanity. :D

It's also enough power (for me anyway, for now) in that there's plenty of go around town and on the motorway and it's also happy to slip the rear when the opportunity presents itself. The noise of a 6 cylinder petrol is also something that I can check off my list of car "wants" too.

You can take it for a blast through backroads on the way to a wedding at a nice hotel and it's perfectly suited to both situations! (when it's working that is! :o)

Ooof, what were the symptoms and if it's not opening too deep a wound can you share how much it cost to set right?

PM if you prefer!
    Nah, no bother saying here.

Initial symptoms - slight "grinding" noise as you climb through the revs, if I recall right, about 2.5k revs. No resistance mind, and I assumed it was transmission-related at the time.

Bit later, got a bit more real, would go into reduced power mode if I climbed above 4k revs at all. Engine light at the same time, but would go away after a restart. While in reduced power mode, if you slowed to a stop the engine could cut out entirely.

Brought it down to Valdas, had it diagnosed in 20 minutes, 1100 for the HPFP all-in. BMW dealer would have charged that for the part alone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You can take it for a blast through backroads on the way to a wedding at a nice hotel and it's perfectly suited to both situations! (when it's working that is! :o)
    You've summed up Beemer ownership right there RB. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Nixonbot wrote: »
    Nah, no bother saying here.

Initial symptoms - slight "grinding" noise as you climb through the revs, if I recall right, about 2.5k revs. No resistance mind, and I assumed it was transmission-related at the time.

Bit later, got a bit more real, would go into reduced power mode if I climbed above 4k revs at all. Engine light at the same time, but would go away after a restart. While in reduced power mode, if you slowed to a stop the engine could cut out entirely.

Brought it down to Valdas, had it diagnosed in 20 minutes, 1100 for the HPFP all-in. BMW dealer would have charged that for the part alone.

Cool, thanks for that.

Was it throwing an error specifically for the HPFP?

I have a P0206 intermittently at the moment, hopefully just another single injector. Symptoms are rough running on startup and hesitation when accelerating through 2-3.5k revs.

Cool, thanks for that.

Was it throwing an error specifically for the HPFP?

I have a P0206 intermittently at the moment, hopefully just another single injector. Symptoms are rough running on startup and hesitation when accelerating through 2-3.5k revs.

I'll try dig out the code but I can't remember exactly what it was off-hand. Just that googling the code symptoms didn't tell me much, only that it could be anything from injectors to the pump itself, could only tell once someone with proper diagnostics got their hands on it.

Mine still rough starts from time-to-time, revs going all over the place for 20 seconds or so and the car shakes a bit, but settles down after that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement