Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternator belt broken - warranty?

Options
  • 01-02-2019 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

2016 NV200 with 21k miles and the alternator belt has just gone. I heard flapping under the bonnet when driving and on inspection the belt was starting tom strip.

Gone to main dealer and asked for a replacement under warranty (5 year bumper to bumper Nissan warranty) , which they say is doubtful as it is a wear item but highly unusual.

I think it should be replaced under warranty considering the age, mileage and rarity of the fault.

If Nissan refuse would it be possible to challenge their decision?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Carnmore wrote: »
    2016 NV200 with 21k miles and the alternator belt has just gone. I heard flapping under the bonnet when driving and on inspection the belt was starting tom strip.

Gone to main dealer and asked for a replacement under warranty (5 year bumper to bumper Nissan warranty) , which they say is doubtful as it is a wear item but highly unusual.

I think it should be replaced under warranty considering the age, mileage and rarity of the fault.

Best bet, is to pull out a copy of the T&C's for the bumper to bumper warranty, and bring the relevant parts to their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How much is it going to cost you in time and money challenging Nissan v the cost of a replacement alternator belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

There's definitely a cost benefit arguement if it turns out Nissan decline to cover but really that should be covered IMO. If it hasn't reached its service interval, it should be covered, it's not wear and tear in the sense that the user can't wear it out faster by abuse etc. I'd almost say there has to be a reason it broke, which would actually be better for you like a defective tensioner etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

bazz26 wrote: »
    How much is it going to cost you in time and money challenging Nissan v the cost of a replacement alternator belt?

Agree..

However.. it could be an option to pay the bill, and if the T &C of the bumper to bumper warranty are in your favor, bring that to their and Nissan Irelands attention.

And if that fails.. the small claims court is an easy enough process

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Alternator belts due to be replaced on those at 45km or 2 years whichever comes first.
    Not warranty Im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

The warranty does not cover the every single part. You should be happy, that part doe snot cost a load of money. Only the labor can cost several times more than the belt itself.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Alternator belts due to be replaced on those at 45km or 2 years whichever comes first.
    Not warranty Im afraid.

Jaysis that's a very short interval on those. If I had to have guessed I would have said it'd be an inspection only item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 JohnTravers2

Not warranty Im afraid.

does Nissan flag up the due-date or what's the story here?

i'm assuming the op has a full main dealer service history

if they don't surely it's Nissans problem

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Jaysis that's a very short interval on those. If I had to have guessed I would have said it'd be an inspection only item.

It is quite low. So obviously theres an issue which Nissan can wash their hands off since they have a recommended maintenance schedule on the belt.

https://www-europe.nissan-cdn.net/content/dam/Nissan/za/Maintenance/Split/NV200/NV200_1.5D.pdf
    Its on the last page.

Did they ever sort out the rear axle issue with them? My uncle bought one a few months ago, a 2014 I think and the rear tyres are like slicks already.

• Advertisement

does Nissan flag up the due-date or what's the story here?

i'm assuming the op has a full main dealer service history

A main dealer service should have picked it up.

if they don't surely it's Nissans problem

Not Nissans but the servicing dealer if they left it out of a scheduled service.

OP say miles in the first post--maybe its a UK import??

Maybe its never been in a Nissan dealer.

We need more info here!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I am reading that drivebelt replacement is 90k or 48 mths under normal conditions,

Only under severe conditions A, C and D is it limited to 45k/24 mths
    That is Dusty, Towing a trailer or Extensive Idling.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I am reading that drivebelt replacement is 90k or 48 mths under normal conditions,

Only under severe conditions A, C and D is it limited to 45k/24 mths
    That is Dusty, Towing a trailer or Extensive Idling.

We don't know any history of the vehicle.The OP really needs to give us more info.
    It could have been towing / full to the roof with building materials.
    It could be a security vehicle which will idle for long periods of time.
    It also says replace if it comes into contact with fuel or is found to be damaged on inspection which is every 15000kms.

If it is a UK import then it should have had 2 inspections--one at 9000 and one at 18000.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Carnmore

It is quite low. So obviously theres an issue which Nissan can wash their hands off since they have a recommended maintenance schedule on the belt.

https://www-europe.nissan-cdn.net/content/dam/Nissan/za/Maintenance/Split/NV200/NV200_1.5D.pdf
    Its on the last page.

The last page refers to severe driving conditions; it's 90000km or 48 months.

It's had one previous owner who used it for a rural milk round. It's a UK reg, first service by main dealer at 13k miles and second service by selling garage at 21k miles.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If the part is supposed to be replaced after 2 years moaning about it failing after that doesn't make a lot of sense tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You are covered by the Sale of goods and supply of services act. The people in the trade who post here claim that car sales are exempt from the act but I've asked numerous times and they have never quoted the relevant section of the act which makes car sales unique in being exempt from it. Once you are in the time or milage limit you are covered.

It's had one previous owner who used it for a rural milk round. It's a UK reg, first service by main dealer at 13k miles and second service by selling garage at 21k miles.

Is the selling garage a Nissan garage??

Del2005 wrote: »
    You are covered by the Sale of goods and supply of services act. The people in the trade who post here claim that car sales are exempt from the act but I've asked numerous times and they have never quoted the relevant section of the act which makes car sales unique in being exempt from it. Once you are in the time or milage limit you are covered.

Of course the sales of goods act covers this...no one is disputing that. But the buyer also has an obligation to keep up the maintenance on the item.
    Hes outside the mileage and time on this one.

In this case it was used as a rural milk round so high idling ie stopping at each door to deliver milk is a serious possibility.I doubt the driver stopped ,turned off the engine each delivery.

The maintenance schedule on that belt is as I said in my first post 45k or 2 years due to the high idling..
    Sale of goods act doesn't cover you if you don't keep up the maintenance on any item.

Del2005 wrote: »

I'm on here a lot and I don't recall anyone ever saying that. Have you got a link?

To be fair, it's all unravelling a bit now. Is the van still in the UK? The second service was done independently, which of course is allowed but ideally you'll have proof from them then that they inspected the belt as per Nissans recommendations and the belt was in serviceable condition. Take this info to Nissan and get their opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Of course the sales of goods act covers this...no one is disputing that. But the buyer also has an obligation to keep up the maintenance on the item.
    Hes outside the mileage and time on this one.

In this case it was used as a rural milk round so high idling ie stopping at each door to deliver milk is a serious possibility.I doubt the driver stopped ,turned off the engine each delivery.

The maintenance schedule on that belt is as I said in my first post 45k or 2 years due to the high idling..
    Sale of goods act doesn't cover you if you don't keep up the maintenance on any item.

It depends on where the OP bought the van and if they are using it for commercial or private purposes. If they bought 2nd hand here from a dealer and are using it privately they are covered. If they bought from the UK or are using commercial then they aren't.

If bought from a garage the UK history is not the OPs problem providing that they are not using it commercially.

Thanks for the replies - Nissan authorised the repair under warranty :)

Advertisement