Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres losing pressure constantly

Options
  • 24-08-2018 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭

Got a 2nd hand 2016 4x4 at end of June and as part of the deal the garage were to put new tyres on. They put on some brand called MRF. In the last 3 weeks the driver side front tyre is loosing up to 1/2 the recommended pressure in less then 36 hours and the other 3 tyres are loosing up the same amount over a few days. I pumped all tyres up Wednesday to recommended pressure and this morning had to do it again. I had thought it might be a slow puncture on 1 tyre but with all tyres loosing pressure Im either thinking the tyres werent fitted/glued properly 1st time and air is seeping out or they are just ****e tryes and its better to replace all with a better brand. Any suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'd start by checking the valves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The wheels themselves could also be damaged. Did you see the 4x4 before they fitted the new tires? They could have put new ones on solely because they thought it might be tires and that's a quick way out for'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fill your bath half full. Pump the tyres and remove the wheel and put in the bath, you should see where air is escaping, mark that with a crayon and check the valve core is tight at the same time.
    The rubber monkeys might have not cleaned the sealing surface well enough to allow the tyre to seat properly.
    Sometimes you get corrosion on the inside of the wheel that stops them sealing as well.
    I'd be inclined to bring it back and find out who fitted the tyres and get them to reseat them with tyre lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I had a cracked alloy before and while the tyre and vales were brand new it kept losing pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ooh, Indian tyres, makes a change from Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

As said already it's either the valves leaking or it's leaking on the rim. Either way you'll need the tyre off or at least have the bead broken down to fix it.
    Find out who done the tyres and bring it back.

Bit of soapy water onto the valves should show any leakage. Finding a leak on the rim may need the wheels to be taken off and laid flat on the ground (and to check in inside rim)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Buy a 5e can of sealant and put it in, was having a similar issue and it worked for me no issues in well over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Grueller

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Ooh, Indian tyres, makes a change from Chinese.

I know little enough about car tyres but BKT Agrimax are a tractor tyre brand from India and are excellent. Well up there with the competition and good value. Not attacking anyone, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

The wheels themselves could also be damaged. Did you see the 4x4 before they fitted the new tires? They could have put new ones on solely because they thought it might be tires and that's a quick way out for'em.

Maybe this, I got a 320i a few years back. Keep having to put air in the tyres. Eventually had them looked at. All 4 alloys cracked & had been welded a few times before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Maybe this, I got a 320i a few years back. Keep having to put air in the tyres. Eventually had them looked at. All 4 alloys cracked & had been welded a few times before that.

I was possibly thinking that too, I had an a4 on 18" rims that had all been cracked and welded too, but a 4x4 would be on much heavier rims with more rubber on the tyres that would be a lot harder broken.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was possibly thinking that too, I had an a4 on 18" rims that had all been cracked and welded too, but a 4x4 would be on much heavier rims with more rubber on the tyres that would be a lot harder broken.

If the wheels are aftermarket replicas then there would be serious questions about their strength. The OP doesn't mention the wheels on the car, but if they are after market I'd be worried about cracks tbh.

A good trick to check the seals is to make up a batch of very soapy water and brush it around the bead of the tyre and the valve. You should see bubbles soon enough if there's an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I've a friend who bought a VW Amarok that had BMW wheels fitted to it.... no idea about the spacing needed for them to work. I told him not to buy it because if somebody is stupid enough to put BMW wheels onto an Amarok....what else have they done? So who knows what rims are on the 4x4?

Needless to say my friend has had a lot of issues with his Amarok...

Advertisement