Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW new car incentive

Options
  • 21-07-2019 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

A friend at work is buying a new 520D, definitely not my bag but regardless they got a call back from the Deaier to say BMW were contributing €3000 extra to the deal, my friend is delighted.

I remember Toyota would recently enhance your trade in by €3000 if you were trading against one of their hybrids.

Why would BMW do this and are any other car retailers currently offering enhancements.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Just to keep up with cheap imports I'd say. It's just a discount to remain competitive and relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is a facelifted 5 Series due early next year so that might be a factor. BMW Ireland and their dealer network rarely give bargains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

bazz26 wrote: »
    There is a facelifted 5 Series due early next year so that might be a factor. BMW Ireland and their dealer network rarely give bargains.

I have also found BMW after sales particularly poor and generally incompetent (based on my interaction with 3 main UK BMW dealers). So much so that I would seriously consider not getting another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I'd say a lot of roll over pcp sales were lost due to zero equity. That plus the UK import gives impetuous to provide a very generous discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

I have also found BMW after sales particularly poor and generally incompetent (based on my interaction with 3 main UK BMW dealers). So much so that I would seriously consider not getting another.

I've had the opposite experience, based on my experience with 2 Irish BMW main dealers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Didn’t they have 7% off their prices? Has this stopped?

I've had the opposite experience, based on my experience with 2 Irish BMW main dealers.

I've had:

Dealer 1: Replaced the tyres on the wrong axle. Rear was at min legal depth and they replaced the front...on a rear wheel drive car. This was an approved BMW car with all its checks etc etc. I had assumed this was an oversight and a once off at the time and bought the car as I got 4 new tyres out of it however many others would not have spotted this.

Dealer 2. Scratched the car and disconnected the dash cam. Upon making a complaint they attempted to say the dash cam was causing electrical problems....this excuse evaporated when I told them that I didn't believe them considering I wired it in and I have a MSc in electrical eng. I eventually had to go the corporate route and it got addressed they had to rectify the paint work. I now state I dont want the car washed or cleaned by any dealer they work on throughout not on quality for a premium product.

Dealer 3: On the first MOT they tried write off a run flat tyre for a tack nail in the centre of the thread. It passed the MOT otherwise. Brought the car to a tyre place I trust...tack nail was 2-3mm and hadn't penetrated tyre. Tyre from BMW at the time was 180GBP. Tyre place was 5GBP.
    8 months later the disk backing plate had corroded through the top mounting nut and dropped against the rim of the alloy (front off side). Heavy corrosion I may add not picked up in any checks by BMW. Car has full BMW service history, MOTs by BMW as well as the end of warranty carried out by BMW.

The latest was a month ago... MOT had the incorrect mileage on the Cert (6k more than what was on the car at the time of the test). Rang them up...they addressed it but I have two MOT certs for the same test with different mileages.

It's an absolute shambles to be honest. A lot are lease car/PCP and people just sign the form.

I told them that I didn't believe them considering I wired it in and I have a MSc in electrical eng.

Ah, you're one of those types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Ah, you're one of those types.
    Qualified?

bidiots wrote: »
    Qualified?

MScs must have changed in the 2 years I finished mine in. I don't recall being trained or qualified in dash cam installation. It was more like embedded systems and signal processing - all theoretical of course.

• Advertisement

MScs must have changed in the 2 years I finished mine in. I don't recall being trained or qualified in dash cam installation. It was more like embedded systems and signal processing - all theoretical of course.

Perhaps your MSc wasnt that comprehensive?

My original background is in electronics funnily enough, I also have a copy of ISTA + (you know the BMW diagnostic to interrogate those embedded systems that the BMW techs use).

Effectively the dash cam is wired off the cigarette lighter circuit (switched supply) hence when the car goes dead it also goes dead (once the car powers its convenience systems down approx 8-10min and the capacitor discharges in the dash cam).

Excuse was bogus by said garage anyways and they stated that it was due to privacy in the workshop which i can somewhat understand. However the car should be handed back to the customer in the same condition it was given to the garage especially for a "premium brand" (aside from the repairs or course).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

In my previous F10 life there was a lot of talk on UK forums about very poor service from UK main dealers. Now their network is much larger than ours so always a few bad apples I guess.

By contrast the two main dealers I was dealing with here were excellent, FK Blackrock and Colm Quinn Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭carsfan2

New car sales are slow so extra incentives required to get deals I’d say.
    My own BMW dealer rang me first week in July to see if I was interested in a car change. Obviously working from a customer database but if they were busy with 192 sales they wouldn’t be calling existing customers for a chat.
    The facelift 5 isn’t starting production until summer 2020 so doubt that’s a factor just a very slow market all round.
    Your friend could probably buy a tiny mileage 6 month old 5 in the uk and save another good few grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pale rider

Turns out the incentive is €3500

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I would say the Tesla Model 3 will be hurting them a bit also, almost 300 orders of these already and I can personally say that I'm choosing between the 2 and i think in terms of performance the Tesla is much better value for money and i don't think will not lose its value as quickly as new BMWs do either which is one of their biggest problems due to the price you can buy one in from the UK at.

I've all the 3.0l petrol BMWs saved in car zone and the 440i that was advertised just a week ago has already 3k off its price and down to 57k but you would get your pick of them in the UK in here cleared for under 50k so it's not surprising.

pale rider wrote: »
    Turns out the incentive is €3500

Is he changing from a non BMW car?
    My dad bought a 5 series in 2017 and there was an extra discount of 4K at the time for any one trading from a different brand. The sale guy said it was a conquest discount. I thought it was a bit unfair on people trading in a BMW but they had a scheme for people trading in old model 5’s at the time too, however it wasn’t as generous.

digiman wrote: »
    I would say the Tesla Model 3 will be hurting them a bit also, almost 300 orders of these already and I can personally say that I'm choosing between the 2 and i think in terms of performance the Tesla is much better value for money and i don't think will not lose its value as quickly as new BMWs do either which is one of their biggest problems due to the price you can buy one in from the UK at.

I've all the 3.0l petrol BMWs saved in car zone and the 440i that was advertised just a week ago has already 3k off its price and down to 57k but you would get your pick of them in the UK in here cleared for under 50k so it's not surprising.
    There’s a lot of uncertainty out there at the moment on top of the cheap sterling.
    Diesel, Petrol, hybrid , full electric? It’s very hard to kno what way to go so I reckon lots of people are sitting on the fence waiting.

Chris Harris in this months top gear magazine writes about the model 3 after he reviewed it on the programme a few weeks back. He says it was one of the most interesting cars he’s driven but also one of the worst assembled he’s driven.
    I can’t imagine too many BMW drivers putting up with that and also from what I’ve seen on the model 3 thread, customer service is not what could be called premium.

He has now traded in an older 520d for a new one, I think he's mad.....

Tesla has faired poorly in relability tests, yes, lots of uncertainty for new car buyers.

Would be interested to hear if Audi or Mercedes have incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He has now traded in an older 520d for a new one, I think he's mad.....

Tesla has faired poorly in relability tests, yes, lots of uncertainty for new car buyers.

Would be interested to hear if Audi or Mercedes have incentives.

Looking at a merc, and can't even put an order in while they wait to figure out what WLTP changes mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

digiman wrote: »

I can't speak for the Model 3, but the Model S is very poorly made. Get over the glitzy touchscreen and you quickly realise the build quality and the feel of the interior wouldn't pass in a Yaris or Fiesta, never mind a rival to a BMW. Have you sat in one yet?

The touch screen is extremely distracting on the move, I am so glad BMW still uses buttons for the key items in the cabin.

A BMW will be far superior to drive as well.

Unless electric power is an absolute must-have, I cannot think of any reason to buy one over a BMW.

• Advertisement

I priced a new Mercedes E220 with metallic today with a main dealer, best cash price was €2500 off list making it around €54000, The 192 new 520D Se was bought for €47000, I'm no fan of BMW but thats compelling or is it ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Whilst this is true their product was disastrously flawed n'est pas?

I priced a new Mercedes E220 with metallic today with a main dealer, best cash price was €2500 off list making it around €54000, The 192 new 520D Se was bought for €47000, I'm no fan of BMW but thats compelling or is it ?

From the company I work for I notice that that most of the new company cars via lease are petrol now and not diesel as once was the case (the uk have introduced a new tax targeting diesels over the first 3 years of their life to make them less financial attractive.

I have driven the new merc c200 petrol which was a nice enough car and was quick (9 speed auto). The gear selector for the auto box was a stalk on the right side of the steering column (it's very similar to the wiper stalk and feels a bit cheap).

I've also had a go of an Audi A4 2.0 petrol estate for a few days and it was nice DSG auto box with the upgraded MMI and LCD dash...but when I had the satnav on the LCD dash the system crashed twice on short journeys.

One of the lads at work has a 190bhp GT spec VW Passat 2.0 diesel estate DSG ..it was one of the few cars which had it's new emissions test earlier on in the year and I think for price/value it beat the audi and merc.

astrofool wrote: »
    Looking at a merc, and can't even put an order in while they wait to figure out what WLTP changes mean.

What model?
    I thought they had all that sorted, they have price lists up on their web site anyway?

Is the Merc amg line or basic? I think m sport spec would be the equivalent of amg line so a few grand more than se.
    You can buy a one year old e220 for much less than 40k here now which makes more sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Was in a pals Model S recently, 2016 I think. Interior was not wearing well, seat were very tired, there was also an noisy whining sound coming from the rear motors, sounded expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

carsfan2 wrote: »
    What model?
    I thought they had all that sorted, they have price lists up on their web site anyway?

Without giving too much away, was one of the top models with options, and as delivery wouldn't be till next year, they can't put in the order yet till they understand the price changes (even vs. what they currently have in their brochure).

astrofool wrote: »
    Without giving too much away, was one of the top models with options, and as delivery wouldn't be till next year, they can't put in the order yet till they understand the price changes (even vs. what they currently have in their brochure).

BMW Dealer speculates it could add €4K to new cost...

BMW Dealer speculates it could add €4K to new cost...

Don’t understand?
    WLTP will add 4K to cost of a 520d next year?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I wouldn't be surprised if it was, look at the rise in price of the new 3 Series over the previous one making the existing bigger 5 Series good value. A base 318d SE manual now starts at a shade under 45k whereas a base 520d SE auto starts at just over 52k. That actually makes the 520d better value. BMW will need to realign the price difference between the segments otherwise they could end up competing with each other. I'm sure WLTP has it's part to play too once the alignment takes place as models get streamlined or replaced.

Cars in general are getting very expensive under WLTP, top spec Peugeot's are now costing 50k. Even a Corolla hybrid doesn't have much change from 30k these days.

Advertisement