Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish shooting mag

Options
  • 06-06-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

is there any other irish shooting magazine besides irish shooters digest?

tommy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

The NARGC Newsletter you mean :p

No, unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

well in that case is there any good shooting mags that are more about rifles and pistols rather than shotguns and dogs?

tommy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Shooting Sports, Sporting Rifle or Guns & Ammo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

sporting rifle is very good. ive been getting it a while now and really like it. it covers practically every aspect to rifle shooting from vermine (rats in this months issue) to big game in africa. a man called mick powell does a really good article every month on foxes. i find it very good as regards stalking with all the different species etc.
    when it comes to pistols i think your going to have to have a look at magazines geared to the militery. i find the american ones best. i think it was guns and ammo was the name of a good one
    hope this helps a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Several, and this one is free (you see notices posted up in Target Shooting for it every month).
    There are several others on the shelves - Target Shooting used to be very good but the credit crunch nobbled it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Sparks wrote: »
    Several, and this one is free (you see notices posted up in Target Shooting for it every month).
    There are several others on the shelves - Target Shooting used to be very good but the credit crunch nobbled it.

that would get old fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    well in that case is there any good shooting mags that are more about rifles and pistols rather than shotguns and dogs?

tommy

i get the sporting rifle when ever i see it, they cover everything from air guns up to the big game rounds. they review new rifles and have stories almost as good as johningalway. there are one or two more out there that i cant think of the name of right now

jwshooter wrote: »
    that would get old fast
    Maybe if it's not what you're into. I've been reading Target Sports and that sort of magazine for ~16 years now and I'm not tired of them yet. I imagine it wouldn't hold a stalker's interest for long though, nor a clay shooter's. To each their own.

its unfortunate that there is no other irish one as i would rather read something irish but will give the other one a read....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

This is undoubtedly the best magazine that comes from UK - the online and FREE shooting magazine - www.targetshooter.co.uk

However, if it's handguns that interest you then you'll have to look to those English-speaking countries where you can still shoot them freely, and apart from black powder and the 'funnies', that means looking over the other side of the Atlantic Ocean to the USA.

Guns and Ammo for EVERYTHING, and 'Handgunner' for, well, handguns.

As far as wanting to read something Irish, then there is no such document in the Irish language that I have ever heard of.

Your choice seems to be firmly based in the USA.

tac
    Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    This is undoubtedly the best magazine that comes from UK - the online and FREE shooting magazine - www.targetshooter.co.uk

However, if it's handguns that interest you then you'll have to look to those English-speaking countries where you can still shoot them freely, and apart from black powder and the 'funnies', that means looking over the other side of the Atlantic Ocean to the USA.

Guns and Ammo for EVERYTHING, and 'Handgunner' for, well, handguns.

As far as wanting to read something Irish, then there is no such document in the Irish language that I have ever heard of.

Your choice seems to be firmly based in the USA.

tac

sorry my mistake i didnt actually mean in the irish language i meant something printed in ireland about irish shooters

tommy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

*opening for someone with money to start a decent irish magazine*

Must post that idea in a closed envelope to myself:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Dusty87 wrote: »
    *opening for someone with money to start a decent irish magazine*

Must post that idea in a closed envelope to myself:p

You trying to set up a patent ;)

I'd love a new fresh Irish shooting mag with good articles, and pictures of firearms not folks with trophys

And of course a good price! €4~ a month, with glossy high resolution pics

• Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Why not an Irish cyber shooting mag???;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

The problem with the American Magazines, is that they cater to the interests of American shooters mainly. They tend to concentrate on pistols for concealed carry, self defence, combat and an odd time do stuff on IPSA or IDPA. Very rare to see anything on target shooting, although I did see something on Bianchi Cup one time. Same goes for rifles, Any amount of AR15 copies and combat stuff. Not a critisism really, as some of the articles can be interesting, but us target shooters are not their target audience.

Kryten wrote: »
    The problem with the American Magazines, is that they cater to the interests of American shooters mainly. They tend to concentrate on pistols for concealed carry, self defence, combat and an odd time do stuff on IPSA or IDPA. Very rare to see anything on target shooting, although I did see something on Bianchi Cup one time. Same goes for rifles, Any amount of AR15 copies and combat stuff. Not a critisism really, as some of the articles can be interesting, but us target shooters are not their target audience.

To tell the truth, IMO target shooting is such a small part of the handgun scenario all-told that it tends to be overlooked. The US as a whole does not take target handgun - Olympic/ISU/UIT shooting - much to heart. I remember years ago shooting my set of Walthers ]GSP and GSP-C] at a range in Oregon where they were totally blown away by MY meagre skills as a target pistol shot. Using the then-standard 25m ISU target I was lucky, with them all watching, to break an average of 93 - even so, not a one of them there could get near to repeating it with anything they had.

As you note, they concentrate on the more action-orientated competitions, and leave the serious stuff paper-punching stuff to the serious shooters, wherever they may be.

I never found any back then, and still wouldn't know where to look.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    I never found any back then, and still wouldn't know where to look.
    Well, there's the Citizen Marksmanship Program's newsletter. Subscribe at http://clubs.odcmp.com/subscribe

The most recent one talked about the preparation matches for the upcoming Creedmoor Cup (sorry for the lack of images, they are in the newsletter):
    14 Sept 2009
    Camp Perry Marksmanship Center Fall Open House and Turkey Shoot - You Are Invited to Come to Camp Perry on Saturday, 19 September, be tween 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM - The Ohio Army National Guard (OHNG), the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources are combin ing forces to host a Fall Open House and Tur key Shoot at the new Camp Perry Marksman ship Center on Saturday, 19 September.

Doors will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; come and participate any time dur ing those hours. The event is open to the public; everyone who lives within daytrip distance of Camp Perry is encouraged to travel to Camp Perry to participate in a fun shoot on the center’s electronic targets and have a chance to win a turkey, to actually shoot on the National Guard’s engage ment skills trainer and to visit the CMP Store. Safety and marksmanship in struction will be provided for all who participate. The day will be highlighted by the dedication of the Marksmanship Center’s recently completed 90-foot long mural.

More Details

550 Competitors Shoot Air Gun Events During 2009 National Matches - For the entire month that the 2009 National Matches were in full force out doors, the indoor Camp Perry Marksmanship Center was also open for business and seeing plenty of traffic. The CMP National Match Air Gun Events took place at the indoor center on the same days that the National Matches pistol and rifle championships on the Camp Perry outdoor ranges. The air gun events began on 13 July and ended on 13 August. 550 different competitors completed nearly one thousand event entries at the state-of-the-art facility fea turing 80 firing points, electronic scoring and air conditioning for those seeking a reprieve from the elements.

More Details
    A Highpower Journey - For Woburn, Massachusetts shooter Jim Clark, the skills learned as a junior in smallbore and precision air rifle made his transition into highpower rifle competition a quick learning curve. Within the first couple of years of trying the sport, he had been fortunate to receive good coaching, particularly with the Trickett family whose own son now shoots for the Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU). It seemed like a case of be ing in the right place at the right time for Clark, and the camaraderie, new friends and loose atmosphere of highpower shooting was a welcome break from his more rigorous collegiate shooting schedule at Ohio State Univer sity.

More Details

Congratulations to W. O. Harden, recently Retired Chief of the Army Marksmanship Unit’s Customs Fire*arms Shop. Harden was honored at a Retirement Ceremony at the Fort Benning (Georgia) Infantry Museum on 11 September that was at tended by over 200 persons from all over the country. Harden joined the Army in 1957, originally came to the U. S. Army Marksmanship Unit as a service rifle shooter, later became a gunsmith in AMU's Custom Firearms Shop and retired as a Master Sergeant in 1982. In 1983, he was ap pointed Chief of the AMU Shop, a position he held until his retirement in August 2009. Harden retired with 52 years of U. S. government service, including over 26 years as the AMU Shop Chief. He also served in leader ship capacities at the National Matches Pistol and Rifle Small Arms Firing Schools for 32 years. Harden and his team of gunsmiths at the AMU Shop not only supported hundreds of Army teams and shooters who won count less international and national marksmanship titles, but they are credited with combat small arms developments that included the M24 Sniper sys tem, MK-12 SPR rifle, the M16A4 as modified for special operations and the M16A4 Designated Marksman Rifles. The CMP extends its congratu lations and thanks to W. O. Harden for his service and contributions during an extraordinary career as a Soldier and government employee.

SGM Martin Barreras assumed responsibility as the new USAMU Sergeant Major in a Change of Responsibility Cere*mony at Fort Benning, Georgia, on 28 August. USAMU Commander LTC Daniel Hodne presided at the ceremony where SGM Barreras assumed responsibility from SGM Thomas Fuller, who is retiring after 21 years in the Army. The CMP congratulates SGM Fuller on his completion of a distin*guished military career and thanks him for his outstanding service to our country. The CMP extends its best wishes to SGM Barerras as he be comes the Sergeant Major of one of the most important organizations in marksmanship.

New Distinguished Shooters. The CMP extends its congratula*tions to the following competitors for achieving this prestigious status! The most recent shooters to earn Distinguished Badges are listed below. To view the official list of all Distinguished shooters, visit http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/report_distinguished.cgi.

Junior Air Rifle Distinguished Badge
    296 – Bryan Zavala – Lytle, TX
    297 – Maya Arredondo – Murfreesboro, TN
    298 – Thomas Wheeless –Hampton, VA
    299 – Michael Matthews – Norcross, GA

Three CMP Master Instructor Training Courses to train and certify As-Issued Military Rifle (GSM/Garand-Springfield-Military Rifle) and Rimfire Sporter Master Instructors to teach rifle clinics at their home ranges and clubs are cur*rently open for registration. Courses will be conducted on 26-27 Septem ber, at the CMP Competition Center in Anniston, Alabama; on 16-17 Octo ber at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility north of Phoenix, AZ; and on 23-24 January, at Camp Perry, Ohio. The primary objective of Master Instructor training and certification is to develop qualified instructors to conduct rifle clinics at their local clubs and ranges in order to bring more new shooters into the shooting sports. These workshops are open to all experienced rifle marksmanship instructors and shooters who want advanced training and certification to teach CMP-sanctioned Garand, Springfield and Vintage Mili tary Rifle or Rimfire Sporter Clinics. The instructional methods taught in this course are also readily adapted to teaching new juniors to shoot with air rifles or rimfire sporters. The training covers clinic organization, how to teach safety and range procedures, how to teach fundamental shooting skills and how to conduct As-Issued Military Rifle and Rimfire Sporter Matches. Every CMP affiliated gun club is encouraged to have at least one club member who has his/her Master Instructor certification. If you are interested in enhancing your skills as a club rifle instructor or in getting started as a clinic instructor, go to the program at http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/GSMClinic.htm and submit your application. For additional information contact Shannon Hand at shand@odcmp.com or 419-635-2141, ext. 1101.

2009 Western CMP Games and Creedmoor Cup Matches Open for Entries - The 2009 Western CMP Games and Creedmoor Cup Matches will take place at the Ben Avery Shooting Facility North of Phoenix, Arizona on 17-25 October. The Official Program for the 6th Western CMP Games and Creedmoor Cup Matches is posted and available at http://www.odcmp.com/Competitions/WesternGames.htm. The 2009 CMP Games program has been changed so that competitors can attend the popular new shooter clinic on Saturday morning, 17 Octo ber, and then shoot three Garand-Springfield-Vintage Military Rifle Matches on Saturday afternoon and Monday and Tuesday mornings. The As-Issued M1 Garand EIC Match has been moved to Sunday morning, 18 October, so that more shooters can compete for special 4-point EIC legs in that match. This year, CMP Games competitors will also be able to shoot in a Rimfire Sporter Match on Sunday afternoon and a Carbine Match on Monday afternoon. Creedmoor Cup competitors can attend a free high power rifle clinic on Wednesday, 21 October, and then shoot on succes sive days, a practice match, a NMC team match, the 80-shot Creedmoor Cup Match and finally a Service Rifle EIC Match. You can register to com pete in either or both the CMP Games Matches and the Creedmoor Cup Matches on-line at http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/matchInfo.cgi?matchID=4969.

CMP Monthly Air Gun Matches. The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) invites you and your club rifle team to participate in our Air Gun Monthly Matches. These monthly matches take place at the CMP’s brand new Competition Center Anniston and the Camp Perry Marksman ship Center. The competitions will feature a Junior Air Rifle 3x20, NMAR 3x20, 60 Shots Air Rifle Standing, 60 Shots Air Pistol and 30 shots Novice Prone and Benchrest. Anniston (Alabama) matches are 24 October and Camp Perry (Port Clinton, Ohio) matches are 26 September, 24 October and 21 November. Visit http://www.odcmp.com/MarksmanshipCenters.htm for more information and on-line registration.

Tuesday Night Open Public Shooting. Shooters, including as*piring new shooters, who live in the Camp Perry, Ohio area are invited to take advantage of a new opportunity to do practice shooting on Tuesday evenings at the Camp Perry Marksmanship Center air gun range. The Camp Perry 80-point, 10-meter air gun range is fully equipped with elec tronic targets that accommodate air rifle, air pistol or National Match Air Ri fle shooting. The range will be open from 5:30 PM until 8:00 PM every Tuesday evening. All shooters who use the range must complete a CMP Eligibility Affidavit and Liability Waiver (one-time only) and attend a short safety briefing. Those under the age of 18 must have a signed parental consent form, or fill one out at check in. The cost is $5.00 per day for adults and only $2.00 per day for juniors (high school aged). Shooters may bring their own air rifles or air pistols as long as they are .177 cal. with muzzle velocities of 600 fps or less. Sporter class air rifles (Daisy M853) are available as loaners at the range at no cost. We also have the new National Match Air Rifles available to rent for $5.00. Shooters should sup ply their own pellets or may purchase them at the range for $7.50 (pack of 500 pellets). Please direct any questions you have to Katie Harrington at kharrington@odcmp.com or 419-625-2141 ext 1131.

Please Share. . .Forward this copy of CMP Shooters’ News to coaches, parents, friends and fellow shooters whom you know would enjoy reading it. They can also subscribe to these CMP email updates at http://clubs.odcmp.com/subscribe.

Civilian Marksmanship Program, Camp Perry Training Site, Bldg 3, Port Clinton, OH 43452

Good reminder, there, Mr Sparks, thanks for posting it. I was talking about a target-related magazine, though, not the Camp Perry organisation where I have shot as a guest on three occasions with a marked lack of success, I might add.

Sadly, the RoI [nor the UK] has nothing like this programme to foster target shooting among the freely-armed civilian population of the USA.

If only.....: (

tac
    Supporter of The Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

Gone are the days of Lord Sailsburys ideal "of a rifle in every cottage in England".England had a great rifle tradition up until about after ww2.
    Last attempt was in the 1980s with the idea of "Brave defender."

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I read with enjoyment the Digest of Irish Shooting every month, its a marmite thing (unfortunately), I love to hate it. Saying that I also purchase the following
    Sporting Gun
    Sporting Shooter
    Shooting Sports;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

cant wait till next months sporting rifle (great read, as usual, in this months), their doing a piece on the uk's top custom rifle makers. cant wait to see how they compair to the likes of our own rifle smiths:D

The last post threw up a question that I'm hoping somebody can answer.

Here in UK we have a large number of custom rifle builders of many kinds and for all kinds of disciplines. These firearms, when completed, are required to be proofed under the Proof Laws - in place since 1813 - before they can legally be sold. For a maker to sell an unproofed firearm is a very serious offence, not that most shooters would actually buy it unless they could see the proof marks.

The same goes for rifles that are screw-cut to take a moderator - both the rifle and the moderator have to be proofed - who does it in the RoI?

tac
    supporter of The Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

AFAIK There's no requirement whatsoever for any proofing to be carried out in Ireland. But I'll stand to be correct on that.:)

dCorbus wrote: »
    AFAIK There's no requirement whatsoever for any proofing to be carried out in Ireland. But I'll stand to be correct on that.:)

None, as the last functioning proof house in this country left with the union jack AFAIK.

It was a british proof house in Ireland.
    We don'yt have or want one. You might be familiar with cube testing ;)

Would you use wan after that was tested dC ;)

Thank you, gentlemen, for your prompt answers. I'm now better informed.

tac
    Supporter of The Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

None, as the last functioning proof house in this country left with the union jack AFAIK.

It was a british proof house in Ireland.
    We don'yt have or want one. You might be familiar with cube testing ;)

Would you use wan after that was tested dC ;)

Not quite.We have a proof act of 196???Somthing or other.It's in the stickies thread.It came about due to our only attempt in the 20th century at arms making.There was a company in Birr,co Offaly that made an O/U shotgun called the Fenian..Wasnt a great sucess,and they were mostly sold in Canada and the UK,where proof testing was required.No doubt,ever quick to make money then as now ,the Govt of the day introduced the proofing act and set up a proof house in Dublin.Trouble was they never had a qualified proof master ,or so I am told in this story to occupy the position of proving firearms here,or employed one ASFIK. not to mind then the company making the shotguns closed up,NI started kicking off,and we got this idea that being for peace ,love and flowers in our ministers hair was the way to go Man!So we wouldnt need any nasty firearms,nor would we make them here either.So we didnt need a proof house anymore.
    Ergo another what seemed like a gand idea at the time fell down here due to politics and not thinking it thru fully.Pity actually.:(

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Not quite.We have a proof act of 196???Somthing or other.It's in the stickies thread.It came about due to our only attempt in the 20th century at arms making.There was a company in Birr,co Offaly that made an O/U shotgun called the Fenian..Wasnt a great sucess,and they were mostly sold in Canada and the UK,where proof testing was required.No doubt,ever quick to make money then as now ,the Govt of the day introduced the proofing act and set up a proof house in Dublin.Trouble was they never had a qualified proof master ,or so I am told in this story to occupy the position of proving firearms here,or employed one ASFIK. not to mind then the company making the shotguns closed up,NI started kicking off,and we got this idea that being for peace ,love and flowers in our ministers hair was the way to go Man!So we wouldnt need any nasty firearms,nor would we make them here either.So we didnt need a proof house anymore.
    Ergo another what seemed like a gand idea at the time fell down here due to politics and not thinking it thru fully.Pity actually.:(

All they do is blow the sh1te out of yer gun.

if you buy a hoist that can lift 100kg the manufacture lifts 150 with one to prove it can without breaking. Proofing to a match barrel would make a jock of it IMHO.

Proofing is not done in states.And they have no quams about sueing so they hardly would put them selves at risk

Cavanagh foundry Birr. I know a lad who has an orig.
    I even think their was a murphy shotgun if my memory is functioning correctly.
    They made sewer covers more recently ;) Person holes, formerly known as man holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭pat58

All they do is blow the sh1te out of yer gun.

if you buy a hoist that can lift 100kg the manufacture lifts 150 with one to prove it can without breaking. Proofing to a match barrel would make a jock of it IMHO.

Proofing is not done in states.And they have no quams about sueing so they hardly would put them selves at risk

Cavanagh foundry Birr. I know a lad who has an orig.
    I even think their was a murphy shotgun if my memory is functioning correctly.
    They made sewer covers more recently ;) Person holes, formerly known as man holes

What you say about the hoist is true ,Its called a safety factor , Most in industry require this ,

Proof houses are there for a reason,;)

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭daveob007

I get the Irish shooters digest every month and find that they have too much stuff about gundogs and shotguns also.
    only a small portion of the mag deals with rifles/pistols.
    I f you send them an email with the kind of stuff you would like too see they might add it in,however you would need a fair few peoples opinions to get changes made.
    maybe we could start a new thread on what we want from an irish shooting mag and hopefully they might respond to demand.
    Or someone might see an opening for a new mag.

• Advertisement

Said this before,and I'll say it again.I used to write occasionally for the ISD years ago...If you want different articles revelant to your sector.YOU got to write them..Thats one of the main reasons it is full of "when I were a lad" style articles.As such it doesnt have staff writers in various different fields.It has regular contributors to the mag,who write on a monthly basis.Hence you have this slant and one sideedness to it.
    So write up an article ,submit it and see if it is accepted.Add plenty of pics if you can,and discover how hard it is to walk a mile in somone elses wellies.:).

Advertisement