Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish shooting mag

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

pat58 wrote: »
    What you say about the hoist is true ,Its called a safety factor , Most in industry require this ,

Proof houses are there for a reason,;)

Proofing is a useless idea. It doesn't even pretend to be a guarantee or even a suggestion of safety. All it means is that on a given day, with a given (stupidly over pressure) load, it didn't blow up. It's absolutely no guarantee that the next time you fire a shot, it won't blow up in your face, so all you're doing is putting a dangerously high load through a gun not designed to be fired with such a load, and then stamping it if it doesn't go boom. Look at it this way, if you had a beautiful old Purdey, say around 1870, and obviously you can't shoot original black powder loads here since you can't get the BP, so you want to shoot nitro loads. Now, maybe it'll take typical nitro loads all day long, but when you stick a deliberately over-pressure proofing cartridge through it it blows up. Now, you were never going to do that yourself, so it wasn't likely to be damaged when you were shooting it, but now the proof-house has destroyed your 140 year old gun, and accepts no responsiblity or liability for it, and you've no longer got a functioning antique Purdey, as you should have. Or let's look at it in a more worst-case way. Let's say it doesn't blow up in proofing, but the strain on the old components takes its toll and now renders it incapable of being used safely. However, off you go with your proofing certificate and the newly stamped gun, and the first shot you put through it blows it up in your face. Again, that needn't have happened had the proof house not wrecked the gun on you and endangered you, and again they accept no responsibility or liability. So yeah, proofing is a useless concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Said this before,and I'll say it again.I used to write occasionally for the ISD years ago...If you want different articles revelant to your sector.YOU got to write them..Thats one of the main reasons it is full of "when I were a lad" style articles.As such it doesnt have staff writers in various different fields.It has regular contributors to the mag,who write on a monthly basis.Hence you have this slant and one sideedness to it.
    So write up an article ,submit it and see if it is accepted.Add plenty of pics if you can,and discover how hard it is to walk a mile in somone elses wellies.:).

If there are 2 mags though the articles will have to be made better to attract readers?

Competition is healthy if done properly IMHO.
    more than 2 prob would not survive, I do not buy the ISD, I would prefer more a rifle mans mag, with a small bit on shotty's but mostly rifles, custom jobs, reviews of scopes and have a few in the same catogery and weigh up pro's and con's etc.

I think there is a place for it.
    I know in other aspects of mag markets there are mags wuith the same subject matter; but taken from a different angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,956 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

There were two to three mags going once here in Ireland. ISD,Shooting News,and another that folded after a couple of issues.There is also the NI Irish countryside and shooting,watchmacallit mag.Trouble is; it isnt really a dedicated shooting mag.It is more like a NI cousin to "The Field"
    Hunting,shooting,fishing,horseys etc.

Big trouble in Ireland is again our firearms laws..It doesnt allow you to be a gundealer who can aquire new guns to testfire them and write up reports on them,like in the UK and US.:(.Even if it could be done,which gun manufacturer is going to send to Ireland where there is a miniscule market,compared to Europe or the UK.So hence you see very little if ever gun reviews carried out in ISD.Not because there are people out there who wont,they just cant do it.:(
    Hence the ISD and shooting news were almost identical in content and layout.One was going to go down.There is just so much anyone can read about pheasents..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

There were two to three mags going once here in Ireland. ISD,Shooting News,and another that folded after a couple of issues.There is also the NI Irish countryside and shooting,watchmacallit mag.Trouble is; it isnt really a dedicated shooting mag.It is more like a NI cousin to "The Field"
    Hunting,shooting,fishing,horseys etc.

Big trouble in Ireland is again our firearms laws..It doesnt allow you to be a gundealer who can aquire new guns to testfire them and write up reports on them,like in the UK and US.:(.Even if it could be done,which gun manufacturer is going to send to Ireland where there is a miniscule market,compared to Europe or the UK.So hence you see very little if ever gun reviews carried out in ISD.Not because there are people out there who wont,they just cant do it.:(
    Hence the ISD and shooting news were almost identical in content and layout.One was going to go down.There is just so much anyone can read about pheasents..

Grizz,
    It's a numbers game. We don't have the population to support more than one shooting mag and a couple of possible contenders (pretenders?) that will eventually fold because they do not make the cut. As for gun reviews, I read on a regular basis both Shooting Gazette and Field. I have yet to see a review criticizing a gun - in one case there was a a crack clearly visible in the stock just behind the action and the reviewer gave the gun a great review. Also, Internet links on gun sites lead to reviews and most potential buyers use it rather than looking in back issues of a mag for a review.
    Anyway, do those mags pay for articles?
    Rs,
    P,

• Advertisement

They do,but it is about beer money per month.:( 50 quid is what I was making.Spoke to Mike Yardley on this once,he is the author of numerous books on shooting and bashes between 4to 6 articles per month minimum which he flogs to various shooting mags,and even HE says it is a very tough row to hoe as a top name.With guns with faults you are on a razors edge.Say too much thats wrong and you wont get another gun from that manufacturer to test again ..ever. And say too much good,and everyone says then it is crap who owns one,and you have lost your reputation as a good test source.
    Yes the whole thing with the net has changed the way we source info and work or play these days.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yes the whole thing with the net has changed the way we source info and work or play these days.
    Pretty much all of the newspaper media knows this and is in a major panic over how to adapt at the moment. It's probably the main reason that there's so much enmity from the oldschool media towards places like boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Does anybody remember "IHSF..Irish Hunting, Shooting and Fishing" magazine from the '80s? I wrote in to the editor (aged 15 1985) looking for info on becoming a gamekeeper.. he promptly set up a couple of weeks work experience for me in Tarmonbarry on Robert Laitys "Halfway Hatcherys game farm"!

flanum wrote: »
    Does anybody remember "IHSF..Irish Hunting, Shooting and Fishing" magazine from the '80s? I wrote in to the editor (aged 15 1985) looking for info on becoming a gamekeeper.. he promptly set up a couple of weeks work experience for me in Tarmonbarry on Robert Laitys "Halfway Hatcherys game farm"!

Now THATS a blast from the past!!!:eek::D I was already bitching&moaning in the letters section about our unfair firearms liscensing laws[ at 19 in 1985].That was a good mag and shouldnt have gone down....:(

Advertisement