Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle Target Shooting - Sport for the Rich

Options
  • 16-06-2007 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

I am primarily a hunter who shoots targets. I like shooting of any kind. Competitions at range have evolved into who can spend the most money on rifle, scope etc.

Comments ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

You certainly have a point. The growth of target shooting over the last few years has been incredible and some people obviously can afford to spend any amount on their gear while other have a budget be it large or small. To be fair, I suppose it's the same in a lot of sports.

However, I have seen pretty awful shooting by people with state of the art kit and excellent shooting with cheaper gear, so it's not always just down to the rifle or the hand crafted ammo.

I believe it was a Steyr Pro-hunter that Nicholas Flood used to win a lot of his international medals, hardly the most expensive rifle out there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

freddieot wrote:
    You certainly have a point. The growth of target shooting over the last few years has been incredible and some people obviously can afford to spend any amount on their gear while other have a budget be it large or small. To be fair, I suppose it's the same in a lot of sports.

However, I have seen pretty awful shooting by people with state of the art kit and excellent shooting with cheaper gear, so it's not always just down to the rifle or the hand crafted ammo.

I believe it was a Steyr Pro-hunter that Nicholas Flood used to win a lot of his international medals, hardly the most expensive rifle out there !

Ya fair points re good shot with basic kit etc.

Saw Nicholas shoot clay pigeons with that pro hunter at 400 yards free-standing ! Excellent shooting and a nice guy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

In the smallbore target shooting world the guy arguably the best in the world right now shoots an old Anschutz 1913 in a wooden stock worth maybe £800?

Granted the barrel was probably selected from him at the factory but my rifle with sights is worth about £3000, and I ain't got any Olympic medals :o

You can get by to a high level on basic kit and second hand kit, if it works well/fits you well you will be fine.

Smallbore ammo is also cheap, even the quite good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Meet nicholas back a few years ago about the time he recieved his 6mmbr from the states, gave him a few shots of my 243 LRS2, I found his AR mc millan 6mmbr very accurate, asked nick once what tips he has to aide accuracy etc and he said range time in all weathers right through the whole year including Xmas day, now thats dedecation for ya.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lynchtp

I'm a beginner at archery, but its similiar there.

You get people buying the best of kit, however on the very first night, before I shot anything I was told you can not buy scores.
    Practice
    Practice
    Practice

• Advertisement
Advertisement