Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staging your home for selling

Options
  • 07-12-2019 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi

I'm based in Dublin and thinking of selling my home and moving to another part of Dublin.

Has anyone any recommendations on staging a house for selling- have you used the services of anyone to do this? What costs etc.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't know about staging, sounds like an American thing to me. But I suppose it depends if you are high end or not. Most people can see beyond the BS.

I am selling the home of a deceased relative right now. Got cleaners in, touched up everything, got gardens cleared and so on. Cost a few hundred quid. Well worth it.

On the first day of open viewings last week 15 people came through the door. Lots of positive interest too.

If the house is in good nick and in a good area, close to amenities it will sell.

I hope it will work out for you and me! Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There are definitely services which do this in Ireland - at an outrageous price no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Teepinaw wrote: »
    Hi

I'm based in Dublin and thinking of selling my home and moving to another part of Dublin.

Has anyone any recommendations on staging a house for selling- have you used the services of anyone to do this? What costs etc.

Any help appreciated.

No need for over complication. Remove all your tat from every room and make sure that every square inch of the house is spotless. Not just hoovered carpets & washed floors. Every light switch, socket switch, saddle board, skirting board, door hinge etc. should be looking as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Codswallop.

If someone wants to buy the house they won't be put off if there's a floater in the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Most viewers can see beyond the so called staging.

They like the house, they like the amenities, they like the access to the city. Most other things are staged, there, I said it!

Anyway, no matter what.... in time, they will rip it all out and do their own thing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Clean it professionally.

A couple of Reed diffusers in light floral scents. (avoid lavender, cinnamon and vanilla as you either like or hate those fragrances)

And most importantly, DECLUTTER. - Clothing, nicnacs, excessive furniture etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Beheretomorrow

Teepinaw wrote: »
    Hi

Any help appreciated.

I'd be less cynical about this than everyone else. The benefits of this are the same reason that companies spend millions on packaging design...to sell their product.

House and Garden in Sandyford do this. No idea what they charge though. Check out some new build show houses, the agent will tell you who did the staging.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭jc11

When we sold our house the estate agent recommended taking down all our photos .. having no clutter out and fresh flowers in the hall or kitchen..

No need to get anyone in.. Pinterest have good ideas for staging house for viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭appledrop

There is no need to get anyone in unless cleaners are needed.

Once your house is priced right it will sell.

Definitely declutter. This is the biggest thing as people will think house very small if full to rafters. If you need to keep things then put them in storage.

Advertisement