Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Update'

Options
  • 09-07-2013 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure that anyone is interested in my ailments and issues, but it might be of help to someone, so I will mention it.

Over the last good while - couple of years - I have been to my gp on a fairly frequent basis complaining of tiredness and various aspects of depression. Because there was some serious stress stuff going on in my life I was diagnosed as being clinically depressed, and told (for several reasons) there really wasn't much could be done about it.

The situation got significantly worse over the past 12 months, and had got very serious about four or five months ago. Eventually I realised that most of the time I felt, not so much tired, as exhausted in that jet lag sort of way. I went to my doctor and asked for a sleep apnoea test, which came back positive. I then had to go for a full sleep test, and to cut a long story short was told by two consultants and a nurse that I was not a typical presentation for sleep apnoea. I made a good deal of fuss and eventually got a sleep test.

The following day after the test I had a call from a technician saying he was coming to fit a CPAP machine, and the next day I had the machine. That was 2 weeks ago.

Its like a miracle. I am no longer depressed or exhausted and am back to normal, getting full value out of every day instead of sitting around feeling dreadful. I had seemed to be getting a good night's sleep, but due to the number of times and length of time (up to over a minute) that I was stopping beathing every night, I was not getting the deep sleep that the body needs.

The mask takes a bit of getting used to, but it is worth it for the results. Go me! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Excellent news! Delighted for you! Now, get back to finishing that tent.
    My boat is "clinker" built (Viking method) and if, as you say, the Vikings used the tent material as a sail, I could be persuaded to allow you use my boat to prove that wooley sails can actually work.

Whoooops! Forgot you're using canvas! Old age memory lapses are great, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was talking to a 'Polish Viking' last night who said that they had made a viking tent using some special kind of marine wool (whatever that is) he showed me a piece and it looked like dense, tough felt. He said it was waterproof but very heavy. (we have gone OT in three posts! Maybe the tent is more interesting :-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

looksee wrote: »
    was told by two consultants and a nurse that I was not a typical presentation for sleep apnoea. I made a good deal of fuss and eventually got a sleep test.

The following day after the test I had a call from a technician saying he was coming to fit a CPAP machine, and the next day I had the machine. That was 2 weeks ago.

Its like a miracle. I am no longer depressed or exhausted and am back to normal, getting full value out of every day instead of sitting around feeling dreadful. I had seemed to be getting a good night's sleep, but due to the number of times and length of time (up to over a minute) that I was stopping beathing every night, I was not getting the deep sleep that the body needs.

Been there, done that. Ditto - not just an atypical presentation, but had the opposite symptoms to what the textbooks say (knackered & sleepy instead of nervous agitation & sleeplessness). Sometimes it seems that they do not take any heed of what the patient says because what are the usual symptoms are always the symptoms. Persistence and assertiveness required :rolleyes:.

Good on you, Looksee. Hope the improvement continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Well yay, yay, and yay thrice times. Indeed Looksee, definitely Go You! And Go You forever more I say. 'Tis wonderful news you bring. Who'da thunk of such a thing. Look atchoo now, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed! Congratulations on getting some Dreamy Sleepy Nightie Snoozy Snooze (with thanks to Fr Ted). Now get back to knitting yer sails! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am so pleased for you Looksee. Indeed it is GO GO GO now. Bless you hon xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

So glad you're feeling better Looksee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Now that you are getting into deeper sleeps it just makes it easier for us to sneek into your room and steal stuff.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Typical :rolleyes: always some bad minded smart**** waiting to take advantage! :D I reckon you might have to tidy up before you can find anything (and the serious dhrink is under my pillow, so forget it).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Typical :rolleyes: always some bad minded smart**** waiting to take advantage! :D I reckon you might have to tidy up before you can find anything (and the serious dhrink is under my pillow, so forget it).

Not anymore its not :D

...and the serious dhrink is under my pillow, so forget it).
    Chucken wrote: »
    Not anymore its not :D

Seems to be a lot of references to alcoholic beverages and general boldness in this forum, usually from people who appear to actually support participation. Is this due to a level of sarcasm in posts that's even higher than mine or are yiz all the sort of people that my Granny warned me about?

• Advertisement

Phooey, your granny couldn't have even imagined the shenanegans in this place !

Well I'm sayin' nuthin 'cos I sometimes get saucy replies from a certain Welsh Robin!!! (You know who you are!!) Anyway I turn to you Brens to keep everyone on the right track. I appreciate your really serious sarcasm, and you bring a touch of class to the group, the rest of ye should behave, like wot oym doing! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I wonder who that Welsh Robin is, ye'll have to introduce me sometime LOL

I am actually teetotal .... some of the time .... well between drinks anyway.

Who has OldGoat's keys to the drinks cabinet? I think it must be jellybaby trying to keep us in check.

Ha I know where she hides the linement anyway. :rolleyes:

While chemoed last week, I watched "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" and suddenly thought "hold on, this looks familiar. I think I know a place where Nurse Ratchet, McMurphy, Martini, etc. hang out but just can't place it....mmmm....yes, it's....that place....in the fillum...with your man....and the huge injun....
    Then I got "The Rules" (below) from the Welsh Robin and it all fell into place. "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is really a documentary about Oulwans and Oulfellas on boards!" The "treatments", the medications, the "them and us" struggle, etc.

Since I now have the largest stock of medications in Western Europe, including pills to counteract the side-effects of other pills, and while not wishing to jump any queue, I would like to propose that I become the Pharmacist. Other attributes I possess include unbribability (except by black frilly garters and gurr cake); teetotalness, because (irony of ironies) I wanted to protect my liver!) and enough DIY skills to build a nice hatch for dispensing pharmaceuticals.

If invited for interview for this position, I can forward a copy of my CV with all of the letter "O"s coloured in and smilies and stuff like.

Looking forward to your reply,

Regards,
    BrensBenz.

The Rules:
    1. OldGoat is always right.
    2. If OldGoat is ever wrong, please refer to rule 1.
    3. Nursey's bloomers are not to be ridiculed ... unless you actually like the cod liver oil that is forced on you at bedtime.
    4. The keys to OldGoat's secret supply cupboard are well hidden. (Top shelf behind the biscuit barrel ... always replace after your sampling of the 'goods')
    5. NEVER interrupt the Oulwan's crochet circle or you may meet a close encounter with a crocheting hook in a delicate place.
    6. Oulfellas do not congregate together as this arouses suspicion in the fevered brow of Matron's mind. (Besides it mean entering the dubious realms of 'Buying a round')
    7. If given the choice of punishment fro breaching rules you will have the option of Codliver Oil infusions OR a bowl of Chucken's soup. (ALWAYS chose the Codliver oil if you still value your insides)
    8. Whistling is very strictly rationed. Tuneless whistling is banned in the kitchen. (Whistling is allowed in the toilet facilities for camouflaging but is limited on time. Appropriate hours are listed on the door.)
    9. Snakes, spiders and flying insects are nor pests, they are provided by nature as a way of having fun by putting them in the Oulwan's rooms.
    10. Porridge is provided for mornings, it is obligatory to drool over it and prefered that you dribble a bit down your shirt/vest or pyjamas.

Further to these rules there are some dress codes take note of:

1. Oulwans Will at all times wear a cardigan that is at least three sizes too big, and be pastel coloured underneath the stains.
    2. Oulfellas Will at all times (Especially visiting hours) wear thick grey socks and sandals (These are available in the O&O inmates shop near the front entrance)
    3. Wearing of sexy female clothing is NOT allowed (unless you are A/ Oldgoat or B/ Pretending to be OldGoat in an escape attempt)

Hope that clears everything up for you, be aware that this is just the basic rules and there are many many more to be read up on if you have both the time and the spectacles (which are also available in the Charity shop near the front entrance)

But BrensBenz, do you have that gimlet eye that says 'no you can't keep your painkillers till you need them, you have to take them now, while I am watching'? And yes, you do have to take all these pills, even though your GP will say when you go for a repeat prescription 'you don't need this and you don't need that'. And you can't go home till we have a prescription for you, and since this is Friday afternoon and the consultant has gone off to play golf, you will have to stay till Monday....

But most important, can you read really really rubbish handwriting?

I'll vote for you if you can give a 1000 word paper, properly referenced, on your ability to do all of the above. (That will keep you out of mischief for a bit :P

But BrensBenz, do you have that gimlet eye that says 'no you can't keep your painkillers till you need them, you have to take them now, while I am watching'? And yes, you do have to take all these pills, even though your GP will say when you go for a repeat prescription 'you don't need this and you don't need that'.
    And you can't go home till we have a prescription for you, and since this is Friday afternoon and the consultant has gone off to play golf, you will have to stay till Monday....

But most important, can you read really really rubbish handwriting?

I'll vote for you if you can give a 1000 word paper, properly referenced, on your ability to do all of the above. (That will keep you out of mischief for a bit :P

Well, when it comes to mindless insistence on observing "one size fits nobody" rules, I could train traffic wardens.
    As for "rubbish handwriting", does micro writing count? In an effort to save the planet from ink poisoning, my writing had shrunk to the point that I need a draughtsman's pen with a 0.1mm tip. I could use it to administer tattoos.
    "A 1000 word paper"? The only time you'll see a thousand words with my name on it, you'll be in Eason's, thinking "it's very expensive, but it is BrensBenz after all."

Now, this might be better posted in God's Waiting Room but, since we seem to have the same clientele here, hands up those who remember O Salutaris Hostia. If so, did you understand the words or merely learn it as a series of unrelated syllables? And who decided that God likes Irish kids singing Latin hymns in church with their Hippie teacher strumming an almost tuned guitar?

And gurr cake? I can't believe the blank expressions I get whenever I refer to gurr cake, especially since it was a major part of my childhood. Has some group of scientists from Ohio discovered that gurr cake causes Tourette's syndrome or PMT. Has the EU banned gurr cake? Pesky forners! Why hasn't the Daily Mail organised a petition? "What do we want? Gurr cake. When do we want it? Now"

Off to get new glasses now. When driving - with my trilby hat which allows me to interpret the rules of the road in any way I see fit - I can see traffic, road signs, pedestrians, etc. but I find that the Gorthee are unimpressed when I tell them that the reason I was speeding was because my dashboard is a blur. It's them pesky forner car-makers. Why can't they make widescreen dashboards or fit speedos as big as steering wheels? Patent pending, by the way.

I have quite a broad interest in music. Brens mentioned O Salutaris Hostia and I had never heard of it. Youtubed it and found it sung by the University of Utah Singers. I believe that there is a time and place for everything including latin chants. It was pleasantly sung but I am not a fan of that one yet. However, should anyone want to hear latin chants sung in a way that pleases my philistine ear, do please check into Youtube and look for Libera. I am a big fan of this choir. They do a mean latin chant, and a fabulous Orinoco Flow, and I love Sanctus, in fact anything they sing is ok by me.

Advertisement