Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Facebook

Options
  • 18-03-2012 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Is it ok for me to ask a question on FB? Move if you must, but I need words of one syllable, and to be treated like a five year old as I've never used FB before. It's all gobbledegook to me, but, I actually created my own account several weeks ago. Didn't know what to do with it then, so I closed it and decided I'd have a think and go back to it again. Can't open it now because it says I've been disabled and that happens with naughty posts. Now I haven't even used the darn thing yet. Any ideas folks?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have only got to breathe in the direction of facebook and it will open and gobble you up! I had a fb account through an email address that I didnt want to use, so I closed it as I thought, and opened another account in a more suitable address. Chaos ensued, fb didn't seem to be able to differentiate between the two and constantly re-opened the first account while ignoring the second one.

I can't remember how I finally got it sorted but I really dislike facebook. I have to stay on it in order to communicate with a group I belong to, but the whole making friends and liking and sending gifts for games and discovering that someone you have contacted through a third person twice removed is one of your students drives me nuts. I really cant make head or tail of it and just refuse all invitations, ignore all games, despise all the coy cuteness and rant about it at every opportunity.

Sorry this is no help to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

That's ok thanks looksee. I only opened the account to try to keep in touch with travelling family members and only due to my ignorance of FB I failed dismally. I will get someone to try to search for me on FB and see what pops up. I was always wary of starting this anyway and this proves I was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

Forget about your first fb account, now clear your browser's history of everything - cache, cookies and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

If it wasn't for Facebook, I would be lost. FB is an excellent way to keep in touch and see what everyone is doing without actually having to sit down and write an email to them (although you can do that too if you have time, and it is private)

In order to start again, you may have to open a new email account. Just make sure it is something simple that you remember. Select 'friends' that you know and go from there. Just don't agree to the new timeline account. That really complicates things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Galen

What I meant is that your browser (internet explorer, firefox, google chrome, safari) retain information (cache, cookies, passwords) which can interfer with the creation your new account.

• Advertisement

Came across the CNBC channel yesterday and watched a programme about the ‘oul Facebook thingy. I found it interesting. Finally became a ‘Facebooker’. Anyway, I’ve popped in to see what’s going on once or twice but I can’t see the attraction of it to be honest. Lots of news from the one site I like, ‘like’. Requests to be my ‘fwend’, which I’ve ignored. Probably won’t bother with it again. I didn’t know squat about Master Zuckerberg so was happy to learn. A bit of a Bill Gatesy kind of fella it seems. Young brainy student invents magic, lays golden eggs, sorta thing. A quick Google tells me the following ‘facts’ about Master Z:
    1. Born brainy in New York, twenty nine years ago to brainy parents
    2. Went to school, and grew more brains
    3. Went to college, and grew, yet more brains
    4. Created ‘Facemash’ a site used to decide who was ‘hotter’ than whom (great use of brains :rolleyes: )
    5. Created ‘Facebook’ ($$$$$$$ use of brains!)
    6. Sued by ex-friends who said Facebook was their idea first (slower brains)
    7. Settled with ex-friends for $65m (Hmmm!)
    8. Married a brainy lady in 2012 (she was born in Braintree Mass. (naturally!)

What does the future hold for young Master & Mrs Z?
    1 Grow brainy kiddiwinks, who will in time
    2 Go to school, and grow more brains………

It has been stated that Master & Mrs Z enjoy the ‘simple things in life’, going for walks, pickin’ daisies and playing board games (Monolopy perhaps?).

So what’s the future going to be like, like, for FB and Master Z?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Never wanted a Faceache account myself. Then someone told me it was a good way of keeping in touch with family and friends ....

I now have quite a lot of 'friends' and this includes a good many of my family. The family bit is important to me, I love them all dearly and I am useless at letter writing or phone calls, so this works out.

Also real friends I have previously lost touch with have found me on Faceache and got back in touch. This could be a good thing perhaps?

It is the same as anything this Faceache, it is what you make of it. If you do not like it you get rid or simply ignore it. If you like it you use it, BUT try not to become addicted.

The possibility of addiction is what puts me off. I'm already online far too much as it is. If I want to talk to someone I ring them. Might be nice to catch up with long lost friends but sometimes that's actually not a good thing. I've heard awful stories of people falling out and then one of them deletes the other as a 'friend'. Talk about a slap in the mush! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I have heard of such things but never yet happened to me ;)

Yet! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement